One Synth Challenge #130: Phase Plant by Kilohearts (exponent1 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...it seems the citation failed. :o

Here's my Phase Plant submission.

https://soundcloud.com/ontrackp/osc130- ... -holiday-2

DAW: Logic Pro X
Around 25 instances of Phase Plant
DAW Effects: compressors, Space Designer Reverb, Stereo Spread, Linear EQ ,stereo delay
Commercial Effects: Waves SSL channel, Brainworx_N channel, SSL compressor, TDL Limiter No.6 GE, Waves CLA compressors, H-Reverb, H-Comp, Abbey Road Plates, Waves L316
Free Effects: WAGS LIMITER

*** REVISED 12/29 ***
Last edited by ontrackp on Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hey ! So I had the chance to quickly do something during Christmas :party: . It's been a while since I was a bit overwhelmed by work :cry: . So here is my entry :

https://soundcloud.com/user-244473496/a ... terosc-130

I used (with no particular order) :
* 30x PhasePlant
* Fabfilter Pro Q 3
* TDR Limiter 6
* Ozone 8 and Neutron 3
* Valhalla VintageVerb
* DDLY Delay (Izotope)
* Replika (Native instruments)
* Volume Shaper (CableGuys)
* H-Comp, Triple-D (Waves)
* PinkCM (Acustica)
* SideWidener (Joey Sturgis Tone)
* Carve EQ (Kilohearts)
* Endless Smile (Dada Life) => I didn't use the pitching presets, only the delay and filter one.

I'll try to leave comments but again, I still have a lot of work.
I am glad to be back (but possibly out again after this one, will see), Merry Christmas !

Hi guys, long time no see, so how're you doing :D
I finally found some time to make a subission this month.

https://soundcloud.com/user-806749657/m ... weet-drops

DAW: Reaper
31 Kilohearts Phase Plant

Commercial Effects:
FabFilter Saturn
FabFilter Pro-Q 3
Tantra (din't used glitch and flanger)
Kilohearts Filter
Kilohearts Compressor

Free Effects:
MSED
Limiter No6
OrilRiver
OTT

DAW builtin effects:
JS RBJ Highpass/Lowpass Filter
JS Chebyshev 4-Pole Filter
ReaEQ
ReaComp

Alright, to me this is one of the most lovable vst synths I know. I have a few suggestions, but overall I've had almost exclusively joy designing sounds with it and playing them, too. I've "drawn" a few wavetables, but never used any samples. Only one sound is a straight-up preset: Fluteophone. It's just too darn beautiful. I've used no effects on the racks, except a few mid-side processors and for the master a level compressor, dimension expander, OTT and LoudMax64. Considering how much had to run on those instances, the performance was quite well!
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/taron-sehnsucht

"Sehnsucht" is the German word for "longing". Somehow as I started making this track, it felt like it told me its name. Who am I to argue with the song?! :shrug: :hihi: ...it was a pure pleasure to make it. :hug:

OSC#130: Kilohearts' Phase Plant
What a beautiful synth. I got lost in it in the best of ways. No samples used, I painted a few wavetables and did all sounds from scratch, except the flute, which is the first straight-up preset I've ever used for an OSC song. Too gorgeous!

DAW: MuLab (www.mutools.com)
Phase Plants: 19 instances
FX: mid-side processor, level compressor, dimension expander, OTT,LoudMax64

That's all, virtually no effects, not even EQ on any of the racks, except those mastering limiter and compression to tie things together.

My submission:

This piece was inspired by a failing plugin. I got Hatefish from Hornet, but it didn't work as expected, the euclidean loops did not synchronize correctly (I suspect some rounding errors), so I realized the idea in Bitwig directly...

The Track uses loops of 13 different lengths. All prime numbers up to 37 or their multiples are used. The basic pitches are multiples of the underlying BPM. The pitches used belong to the overtone row of that fundamental up to the 13th partial or its octaves.
The basic idea is to create a complex groove-drone. This piece is building it up and down within 4+ minutes, but the drone itself would last more than 162695 years before it repeats.
The piece starts just before the repetion point where all 13 loops would start together again!

https://soundcloud.com/ondes-memorielle ... sed-primes

DAW: Bitwig Studio 3.0.3
16 * Phase Plant (5 different patches)
1 * Dragonfly Reverb
1 * Stock Limiter

Exceptionally I did not noodle with my LinnStrumet over it (though I had made a nice sound for it), I wanted to keep it pure this time...
Last edited by Tj Shredder on Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:11 pm I got Hatefish from Hornet, but it didn't work as expected, the euclidean loops did not synchronize correctly (I suspect some rounding errors)
Hi could you please open a support ticket on our system so we can look into the issue? nobody reported that before with Bitwig, we have an open issue with Ableton Live 10 on Windows (that does not happens on every installation) but we don't have anything with Bitwig, it would be interesting to see if the issue is the same.

Saverio

Great sounding synth!
My submission:

https://soundcloud.com/jmquarles/santa-phase-osc130

With:

Ableton Live 10

18 instances Kilohearts Phase Plant
Ableton- color limiter, channel eq, glue compressor, arpeggiator, melodic steps
Eventide- blackhole, sp2016
Soundtoys- filterfreak1, echoboy
Audiority- ldc2
IK multimedia- Tape
Wavesfactory- cassette
Xfer- lfo tool

Here's my submission for OSC #130 using Phase Plant.

Vriddhi means Growth in Sanskrit.

I wish you all growth, prosperity and happiness in the upcoming year :hug: Cheers! :)

https://soundcloud.com/theexponent/vriddhi

DAW: Reaper
Phase Plant: 47 instances
Native DAW FX: ReaComp, ReaEQ, Ping Pong Pan, MDA Pseudo-Stereo
3rd Party Free FX: Kirnu, Oril River, GClip, LoudMax, W1 Limiter
Mastering: JS: DC Filter, TDR SlickEQ, TDR Nova, TDR Kotelnikov, GClip, LoudMax
Metering: SPAN, Youlean Loudness Meter 2
Last edited by exponent1 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

I notice many submissions use plugins that I assumed were against the rules. Is it permissible to actually use plugins like Pro Q 3, LFO Tool etc? I had assumed it was the competition synth plus free / stock only. If that’s not the case I’ll definitely be using these moving forward!

qoyl wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:43 am I notice many submissions use plugins that I assumed were against the rules. Is it permissible to actually use plugins like Pro Q 3, LFO Tool etc? I had assumed it was the competition synth plus free / stock only. If that’s not the case I’ll definitely be using these moving forward!
Commercial plugins are allowed for this month, special rule only for this month (Please read the 1st page viewtopic.php?f=1&t=535629)
bjporter wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:59 pm Attention: Wavetables are allowed, but should not be used as sample playback engine i.e. to replicate recorded instruments or vocal phrases directly, but rather to synthesise, morph and mangle single cycle waveforms. Also, as usual, the sampler module is NOT allowed. Special rule for this month only: Commercial fx plugins are allowed.

exponent1 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:54 am
qoyl wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:43 am I notice many submissions use plugins that I assumed were against the rules. Is it permissible to actually use plugins like Pro Q 3, LFO Tool etc? I had assumed it was the competition synth plus free / stock only. If that’s not the case I’ll definitely be using these moving forward!
Commercial plugins are allowed for this month, special rule only for this month (Please read the 1st page viewtopic.php?f=1&t=535629)
bjporter wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:59 pm Attention: Wavetables are allowed, but should not be used as sample playback engine i.e. to replicate recorded instruments or vocal phrases directly, but rather to synthesise, morph and mangle single cycle waveforms. Also, as usual, the sampler module is NOT allowed. Special rule for this month only: Commercial fx plugins are allowed.
Agh, there it is.. I always miss the important fine print :dog:

Cleaned-up the tread by deleting old revision and updated my latest version with detailed info. Happy New Year!
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

ontrackp wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:22 am Here's my Phase Plant submission.

https://soundcloud.com/ontrackp/osc130- ... -holiday-2

DAW: Logic Pro X
Around 25 instances of Phase Plant
DAW Effects: compressors, Space Designer Reverb, Stereo Spread, Linear EQ ,stereo delay
Commercial Effects: Waves SSL channel, Brainworx_N channel, SSL compressor, TDL Limiter No.6 GE, Waves CLA compressors, H-Reverb, H-Comp, Abbey Road Plates, Waves L316
Free Effects: WAGS LIMITER

*** REVISED 12/29 ***
this really ain't bad. i like the reggae vibe mixed with the 90s playstation style. nice melody too.

My entry: Wistful Thrum: https://soundcloud.com/fritz-e-18766441 ... tful-thrum

8 instances of Phase Plant
Ableton devices: EQ8, Utility, Limiter, Compressor, LFO, Delay
A1TriggerGate
Youlean Loudness Meter 2
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Instruments”