ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

commodore wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:21 pm Look at the positive - we were given many XPs in the past that are still there for us to use today. Hundreds of presets for free. Plus with the legacy expansions ($20) during sale, that is quite a deal. Wasn't it last year they also gave a whole new XP digital legends, plus the Christmas expansion? Plus all the others in the past, psy, tv, perpetual motion, etc.

Lots of stuff given to us from refx only because they are cool. 8)
Nah, it's not the "no free XP this year" I couldn't care less about that.

It's the whole Nexus3 thing and the "f*** you" to their previous customers.

plrdmus wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:44 pm It's the whole Nexus3 thing and the "f*** you" to their previous customers.
How do you mean?

I upgraded to Nexus 3 from Nexus 2. But I don't see why someone would be upset in particular by staying on Nexus 2.

commodore wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:22 pm
plrdmus wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:44 pm It's the whole Nexus3 thing and the "f*** you" to their previous customers.
How do you mean?

I upgraded to Nexus 3 from Nexus 2. But I don't see why someone would be upset in particular by staying on Nexus 2.
Making Nexus3 required for new expansions (expansions that aren't free anyways) and 100€ for the upgrade to Nexus3 if you bought it more than a year ago. That's a huge "f*** you, customers".

Once I noticed the expansions I bought got discontinued and given away for free to other customers or its presets were distributed to other expansions, was the moment I knew how much "value" a customer has for refx. Sold Nexus then and seeing the mess now I don't regret it at all.

plrdmus wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:06 pm
commodore wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:22 pm
How do you mean?

Making Nexus3 required for new expansions (expansions that aren't free anyways) and 100€ for the upgrade to Nexus3 if you bought it more than a year ago. That's a huge "f*** you, customers".
I don’t see anything here that is very different from many companies when they upgrade their products, especially now from a more than 10 years old product.

Ryan99 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:19 pm I don’t see anything here that is very different from many companies when they upgrade their products, especially now from a more than 10 years old product.
For a product that is based on expansions, it's very different.

You missed the part where you need to pay an upgrade if you want to buy new sounds. And I really doubt the update was indispensable to make those, unless there's a completely new hidden sound engine. On a rompler? Sure, N3 might have a better interpolation algorithm. What else.

It's like releasing books that will open on the Kindle 8 but not on the Kindle 7 because you changed the format.
Yes, that's a huge "f*** you"

And no, not everyone bought it 10 years ago.

plrdmus wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 pm It's like releasing books that will open on the Kindle 8 but not on the Kindle 7 because you changed the format.
This is quite common though with all sorts of file formats. Old files can be opened with new application, but new files can't be opened with old application. (Adobe, MS Word, etc.)
New features bring a different file format.

I feel your pain, to a point, but I'm happy with the $100 upgrade price. The UI is great (although takes a little getting used to), you get the ROM 2 XP (300+ more presets), and the cloud-based management app (which I didn't think I'd like, but is actually quite handy for updating/downloading).

When all is said and done I probably have around $600 in to Nexus between the old version, the upgrade, and expansions. And I use it in every project. For the money, I could do very many different things with, but Nexus has been absolutely worth it to me. Its hard to buy any synth (hardware or software) for that kind of money and get used as often as I use nexus.

I can find reasons to gripe about nexus, as I'm sure anyone could, but it is what it is. The sounds are usable right out of the box. The business aspects and customer relations are completely separate from using it creatively in my studio, which I tend to focus on.

plrdmus wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 pm
Ryan99 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:19 pm I don’t see anything here that is very different from many companies when they upgrade their products, especially now from a more than 10 years old product.
For a product that is based on expansions, it's very different.

You missed the part where you need to pay an upgrade if you want to buy new sounds. And I really doubt the update was indispensable to make those, unless there's a completely new hidden sound engine. On a rompler? Sure, N3 might have a better interpolation algorithm. What else.

It's like releasing books that will open on the Kindle 8 but not on the Kindle 7 because you changed the format.

And no, not everyone bought it 10 years ago.
An upgrade price containing new presets similar to 3 XP’s appears to me reasonable.....

Ryan99 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:32 pmAn upgrade price containing new presets similar to 3 XP’s appears to me reasonable.....
..and fwiw it's 2 XPs at sale prices.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Where is the changelog for Nexus3?
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

mladi wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:37 pm Where is the changelog for Nexus3?
https://refx.com/nexus/version/

Thank you commodore! :tu:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:23 pm
Ryan99 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:32 pmAn upgrade price containing new presets similar to 3 XP’s appears to me reasonable.....
..and fwiw it's 2 XPs at sale prices.
I meant 3 XP's of new content.

🎲🎲
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

anyone else cant install reFX cloud?

Return to “Instruments”