Korg releases Korg Triton VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

There's a good chance that healthy sales of the recent Korg Taktile
midi controllers that included the basic Triton sounds,
inspired the choice for making the software version.

Once you get four sounds going in a song, the human ear
has increasing trouble distinguishing any individual sounds' excellence.
At that point, if you have excellent sounds, you still need
a good mixing guy/gal, good mastering skills, and decent hardware.

Average sounds mixed and mastered with great skill
may be better than a dunce fiddling with the best sounds ever.
(glancing towards a mirror, taking a deep breath :scared: :hihi:

BONES wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:42 am Did you read back what you typed before you posted it? In the first paragraph you say how bad Triton sounds, then in the next paragraph you say you liked it for its sounds. Does this mean you like "artificially sounding tiny samples of real instruments"? As for using it to make songs, I made dozens of songs on workstation synths and the first thing NOVAkILL ever released was done entirely on my Trinity, up to and including the vocal recording (courtesy of the sampler board and an external SCSI drive).
It simply means that it’s usually not a good idea to use Triton as imitation of real instruments. However, those primitive samples are really good oscillator material for pads, leads and other synth sounds, at which Triton excels. I don’t care that they marketed it as a workstation, it’s best practical use is a synthesizer. For example, Minimoog preset books had sounds like “flute” or “violin” etc, but would you really get it to record a flute part?

damayor wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:27 am I wonder why korg didn't release the m3 instead, being its newer. Or even a kronos with the extra engine's.
M3 was never as popular, and Kronos is still in production.
damayor wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:27 amI have been told the m1 software has the all the m3 sounds on the cards? Is this correct?
No. It has T1 sounds, not M3.

damayor wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:27 amI have been told the m1 software has the all the m3 sounds on the cards? Is this correct?
You are probably confusing the m3 (a keyboard workstation released in 2007) with the M3R (a small trimmed down rack version of the M1, launched in 1989).

I did that same mistake myself :oops:

Regarding "that" M3R ROM and presets, the M1 had all of them, and more. The same applies to the soft M1 of course, which, adding to that, includes all the PCM card of the T series that came after the M1.
Fernando (FMR)

acYm wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:55 pm
I've handled a few old korgs like the wavestation, but no, I've not been blessed by the triton experience, and boy do I feel like I've been missing out on this drab, bland, uninspired grey plastic piece of pure trash that's seemingly responsible for all those cheap sounding unimaginative annoying wack ass beats that polluted my short, precious late teenage years of partying.
totally get what you're saying and i agree, this synthpreset hiphop & pop, where every track sounded like a cheap workstation demosong, yeah ...

but the way korg brought this synth into plug-in land is the way to do it, imo. maybe a bit too expensive right now, but otherwise perfectly executed, low cpu, great interface, endless possibillities - we now have an expanded triton in our computers, let's edit the crap out of it! :tu:

I've been delighted by the Korg Triton VSTi - as someone who used to have one of these beasts in its hardware form back in the day, then sold it years ago and has missed it ever since it's great to have those old sounds back again. It sounds great - the pads are still one of my favorite things about the Triton. Lush, full, with motion and plenty of that Korg Triton 'magic dust' tinkling away in the background. I even think the Triton's pads give Omnisphere2 (which I also love) a good run for the money.

Anyway, quick technical question: Triton VSTi comes with all the expansions (its actually fantastic value - this thing is HUGE in terms of available sounds and combis), including Future Loop Construction. I seem to recall that one had to load 'Songs' into the Triton's onboard sequencer to get the pre-made loops to play (it would map a series of loops and variations across the entire keyboard), but the VSTi doesn't have a sequencer (just an arpeggiator). I can't even find any arps (or MIDI song files) in the VSTi that corresponds to the expansion (and it definitely shipped back in the day with 16 pre-made 'songs' to load into the sequencer).

What gives? Can we even play the pre-made loops that are supposed to be the point of Future Loop Construction or are we stuck with just the drum kits as single hits? Any help from a technical guru here would be appreciated - Korg doesn't seem to have any help available at all. Thanks!

acYm wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:22 pm honestly - if this thing has any cool factor for you, you're past it.
How many software emulations of hardware older than the Triton do you own ?

If any mono synth from the 70's has any cool factor for you, you're past it.....or too young to know any better. :wink:

Why do people have a hard time understanding that Hip Hop and EDM are not the only musical genres ? :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

There's one thing sadly missing in Triton plugin (well, apart from MOSS, hehe), and this is multichannel output. Korg's M1 plugin has 16 outs so you can send out each of the 8 parts from a Combi to wherever, and post-process with your own plugins. Triton only has stereo out and no routing facilities.

I've contacted support with a feature request, touting that they did it in their M1, Triton should get the same treatment. Would be great if more people swamped their support with that request. :D

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:50 am How many software emulations of hardware older than the Triton do you own ?:shrug:
quite a few. korg's own mono/poly and polysix for example.
while no talent rich kids were wowing taste-less a&r hacks with the latest cheesy workstation canned sounds, artists were pushing these old instruments past their limits, running them through guitar pedals and resampling it, making something fresh and musical.
we need more of the likes of these, devices for musicians - these things were for 9 to 5ers.
we're getting meme'd on, I tell you.

I downloaded the demo last night and messed around with it. I really wanted to like this thing, but IDK, most of presets sound dated to me. I did like a few of the leads and a few of the pads, but that's about it. It has this digital sound, which sounds like a cheap vst to me - not all the time, but a lot of the time. Maybe it just doesn't fit my particular musical tastes, but my interest level in it has fallen quite hard.

commodore wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 pm I downloaded the demo last night and messed around with it. I really wanted to like this thing, but IDK, most of presets sound dated to me. I did like a few of the leads and a few of the pads, but that's about it. It has this digital sound, which sounds like a cheap vst to me - not all the time, but a lot of the time. Maybe it just doesn't fit my particular musical tastes, but my interest level in it has fallen quite hard.
So true unfortunately.. had the same feeling after testing it a few days. :shrug:

But i'm happy for all the users who like it! :tu:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

mladi wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm But i'm happy for all the users who like it! :tu:
Exactly! I'm happy more companies seem to be focusing on bringing back back to life these old instruments. It seems to be nostalgia overload between this, behringer, roland cloud, etc. But I have reservations going backward, when the world has seemed to move on from a lot of them. I'd much rather have an instrument that has more features, FX, new sound, than the old dinosaurs instruments of previous decades. Except the sounds/instruments that just can't be emulated, or recreated easily, which seem to stick around. (particular analog beasts, jp8000, virus even, etc.)

commodore wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 pm I downloaded the demo last night and messed around with it. I really wanted to like this thing, but IDK, most of presets sound dated to me. I did like a few of the leads and a few of the pads, but that's about it. It has this digital sound, which sounds like a cheap vst to me - not all the time, but a lot of the time. Maybe it just doesn't fit my particular musical tastes, but my interest level in it has fallen quite hard.
Why so many people expect 80s/90s synths to provide sounds of 2010/2020's synths ?

It is totally mad to criticize a 80s/90s synth pointing that it "sounds dated". Do you guys really know what means "vintage" and what means "legacy" ???

Would you criticize a pair of vintage country boots because they look dated ??? If you prefer to wear baskets while others prefer to wear vintage country boots it is everyone's choice and it doesn't mean that what prefers the other is wrong, even in a modern city ! There are in the world things for everybody without having to always criticize what the others love to wear or hear or use !

Do you criticize a Rhodes or Wurlitzer piano because "it sounds dated" ?
Do you criticize an 80s/90s electric guitar because "it sounds dated" ?
Do you criticize an 80s/90s electric drum kit because "it sounds dated" ?

No, none of them sound dated ! And not these former Korg synths and former Roland synths and former Yamaha synths either ! They simply sound perfect for ears which are not YOUR ears ! And for composers of styles which are not YOUR styles ! If they are not designed for you then just go on other paths where you will find instruments which match your tastes and musicians who share your appeal for the kinds of instruments and music styles you love !

This thread has been created to alert the lovers of old good 90s synths that a new one was released ! It is normal to see occasionally a few posts from guys who very quickly say "It's not for me, thanks, I go on threads about instruments much more made for me". But... 33 pages of guys coming just to say "it sounds dated"... !!! Hey ! Please, stop !

Reading a few guys who write that an instrument "is not made for him" (at least it is an objective an honest declaration) is normal... but 33 pages of guys saying not that this instrument "is not made for him" but that it "sounds dated", which is a purely subjective declaration !!!... not only it is boring as hell, but in addition it becomes an actual harassment from some people against other people based on their tastes !

It is that way that some people literally KILL the interest of some forums !

There is room for everyone on this planet without having to hear all the time that the choices some people make are bad or even downright cheesy compared to the choices made by oneself!

So please, guys who don't love these synths because they "sound dated" or even "cheesy" at your ears... please be kind to go on your way and let these synths and these threads to people who love these sounds ! These synths have huge interest for musicians who still love these sounds, that's why they are made now in software emulations. Go your way elsewhere if you don't love these synths and are here only to tell that they are not at your tastes !

Reading permanent critics from guys who want to get 2020's sounds in 1980's/1990's synths and come ones after the others to insist and again insist is really, really boring. Not only it doesn't have any sense but it looks more and more as a kind of harassment from a group of people on another group of people ! And it doesn't bring anything to anybody. So please, go your own way and let these threads to those who love these 1980s/1990s synths, being for current styles of musics as well as old styles of music.

When guys as Calvin Harris, Kygo, Martin Garrix, Armin van Buuren or other modern EDM music producers don't like a synth of any age they don't claim that it "sounds dated"... they simply silently leave it to others and go their own way ! Much smarter behavior than that continual harassment !

Is there still on KVR a room to exchange QUIETLY ideas and thoughts on emulations of old synths from the 70s/80s/90s without having always dozens of guys coming just to tell "it sounds dated" ?
:pray:

Really KVR is becoming a place where it appears harder and harder to share quietly about synths from the last century !
:x

33 pages ! Please, moderators, stop !
Last edited by BlackWinny on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:15 pm
Why so many people expect 80s/90s synths to provide sounds of 2010/2020's synths ?

It is totally mad to criticize a 80s/90s synth pointing that it "sounds dated". Do you guys really know what means "vintage" and what means "legacy" ???

Would you criticize a pair of vintage country boots because they look dated ??? If you prefer to wear baskets while other prefer to wear vintage country boots it is everyone's choice and it doesn't mean that what prefers the other is wrong, even in a modern city ! There are in the world things for everybody without having to always criticize what the others love to wear or to hear or to use !

Do you criticize a Rhodes or Wurlitzer piano because "it sounds dated" ?
Do you criticize an 80s/90s electric guitar because "it sounds dated" ?
Do you criticize an 80s/90s electric drum kit because "it sounds dated" ?

No, none of them sound dated ! And not these former Korg synths and former Roland synths and former Yamaha synths either ! They simply sound perfect for ears which are not YOUR ears ! And for composers of styles which are not YOUR styles ! If they are not designed for you then just go on other paths where you will find instruments which match your tastes and musicians who also share your appeal for the kinds of instruments and music styles you love.

Reading a few guys who write that an instrument is not made for him is normal... but 33 pages of that kind !!!... not only it is boring as hell but in addition it becomes an actual harassment from some people against other people based on their tastes !

There is room for everyone on this planet without having to hear all the time that the choices some people make are bad or even downright cheesy compared to the choices made by oneself!

So please, guys who don't love these synths because they "sound dated" or even "cheesy"... please be kind to go on your way and let these synths and these threads to people who love these sounds ! These synths have huge interest for musicians who still love these sounds, that's why they are made now in software emulations. Go your way elsewhere if you don't love these synths and are here only to tell that they are not at your tastes !

Reading permanent critics from guys who want to get 2020's sounds in 1980's/1990's synths and come ones after the others to insist and again insist is really, really boring. Not only it doesn't have any sense but it looks more and more as a kind of harassment ! And it doesn't bring anything to anybody. So please, go your own way and let these threads to those who love these 1980s/1990s synths, being for current styles of musics as well as old styles of music.

When guys as Calvin Harris, Kygo, Martin Garrix, Armin van Buuren or other modern EDM music producers don't like a synth of any age they don't claim that it "sounds dated"... they simply silently leave it to others and go their own way ! Much smarter behavior than that continual harassment !

Really KVR is becoming a place where it appears harder and harder to share quietly about synths from the last century !
:x

33 pages ! Please, moderators, stop !
I would stick this comment in the instruments section. Thanks!
Leave the negativity out. Stop the VA rats.

BlackWinny wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:15 pm No, none of them sound dated ! And not these former Korg synths and former Roland synths and former Yamaha synths either ! They simply sound perfect for ears which are not YOUR ears ! And for composers of styles which are not YOUR styles !
I agree. The reason I bought this VST is precisely that it is a (fairly) faithful recreation of the original Triton (which I adored and I miss). If I wanted a modern VST synth I'd buy one (hey - I got Pigments 2 fairly recently!). Sometimes you want something specifically because it is a recreation of something you knew well when you were younger and now that it's in software form (and comes with all the extras you could never afford first time around) it just makes perfect sense to add it to your collection.

Also, I agree that Triton appeals to people with particular musical tastes. For me, it's a perfect match for my addiction to ambient, lush, cinematic styles. Those pads really are knock-out! Worth the price of admission alone!

I don't mind anyone criticizing the software, but you are right - it makes no sense for anyone to criticize a remake of a much-loved classic for being a remake of a much-loved classic! Isn't that just kinda missing the entire point..?

Anyway, happy 2020 everyone!

Return to “Instruments”