One Synth Challenge #131: Syncla-X (Voting Over, results pending)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

changing the mouse_response for the knob control to "vertical"

this helped in the AU version on Logic, too. So thanks!

It works in Ableton Live, but the preset selection arrows appear in the Generators section between some knobs, and the left arrow doesn't work. Quirky and abandoned, I hope somebody can rise up and make this synth eternal.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

ELEX wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:00 pm Beware of partials 5 and 7. They seem to be quite a bit off. Tuned to MIDI notes
instead of harmonics ?
No, the partials are tuned to the correct frequencies, as per the harmonic series. I tested it out with a C note for example (http://www.michaelnorris.info/theory/ha ... calculator):

Code: Select all

Partial no.	Frequency (Hz)	Note name	Octave	¢ dev. from 12TET	
1		523.251		C		5		0	
2		1046.502	C		6		0	
3		1569.753	G		6		2	
4		2093.005	C		7		0	
5		2616.256	E		7		-14	
6		3139.507	G		7		2	
7		3662.758	Bb		7		-31	
8		4186.009	C		8		0	
Last edited by exponent1 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ignore...

I spent a little time making clearer knobs in Inkscape, with a flat background and values indicated by a red arc and numerical values (from 0 to 98 since there are only 99 graphically distinguishable values). Source SVG included in case anyone wants to tweak colors or any other details.
ClearerSynclaXKnobs.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

exponent1 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:51 am
ELEX wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:00 pm Beware of partials 5 and 7. They seem to be quite a bit off. Tuned to MIDI notes
instead of harmonics ?
No, the partials are tuned to the correct frequencies, as per the harmonic series (http://www.michaelnorris.info/theory/ha ... calculator):
In that case I must have misinterpreted what I was hearing. Or perhaps overlooked a setting.
Sorry I spoke too soon. I'll edit my original post to reflect this. And thank you for correcting me.

ELEX wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:16 pm In that case I must have misinterpreted what I was hearing. Or perhaps overlooked a setting.
Sorry I spoke too soon. I'll edit my original post to reflect this. And thank you for correcting me.
Please don't say sorry! Actually thanks to you that I checked the notes being played by the partial harmonics generator with a tuner and compared with the harmonic series. Otherwise I'd have taken far more time to know about it. So kudos to you for highlighting it :hug:

Here's an alternate slider image you can drop in for digital display on sliders.
DigitalSynclaXSliders.zip
And here's a rescale to 80%, with the above sliders and my knobs from earlier. Other buttons were not rescaled, as they fit close enough. I repositioned the preset select buttons since (at least in the AU version) they were positioned in the middle of the Carrier block of knobs. :dog:
SynclaX80PercentScale.zip
That's enough to make the UI usable for me. Hopefully it is helpful to someone else, as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FrogsInPants wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:28 pm Here's an alternate slider image you can drop in for digital display on sliders.

DigitalSynclaXSliders.zip

And here's a rescale to 80%, with the above sliders and my knobs from earlier. Other buttons were not rescaled, as they fit close enough. I repositioned the preset select buttons since (at least in the AU version) they were positioned in the middle of the Carrier block of knobs. :dog:

SynclaX80PercentScale.zip

That's enough to make the UI usable for me. Hopefully it is helpful to someone else, as well.
Wow, thanks for that; having the numbers on the knobs/sliders is super helpful! You are the hero of the month!

Do I just drop the files into the VST folder with all the other stuff? Or do I need to remove/edit something?

dB

z.prime wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:42 pm Wow, thanks for that; having the numbers on the knobs/sliders is super helpful! You are the hero of the month!
Awesome. Thanks also to Leonard Bowman and Guenon before him for pointing out the knob config, without which I probably wouldn't have gone digging into the GUI configuration files in the first place.
doctorbob wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 pm Do I just drop the files into the VST folder with all the other stuff? Or do I need to remove/edit something?
Should be able to just drop them in there and overwrite the original files of the same names, unless there's some unexpected difference between the AU and VST versions.

The ".29" bit of the filename needs deleting!

Works fines now - many thanks. Very helpful

dB

doctorbob wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:43 pm The ".29" bit of the filename needs deleting!
D'oh! I was keeping around a couple of versions in different sizes, and apparently forgot to rename that one back before packaging it up.

@Fip … that explains it … hehe!

bin there, dun that :-)

dB

Uh, wow, haven't looked into the thread yet... well, here's a first little doodle with this thing. Man, it's not easy to get into it, but I think there are some neat things to discover. Thus far I have only used the first 2 oscillators. Even after 8 presets from scratch, I still need a moment to get the sound to come out, hahaha. :lol: ...(volume up -check, sustain up -check, osc1 volume up- check, osc1 sustain up- check, cutoff up, cutoff sustain up - check, check, velocity up (to avoid heart attack) - check...PAN 1 to center -check) OK, now I can start dialing stuff around. :P

https://soundcloud.com/taronium/synclumsy01/s-mnQGi

Return to “Instruments”