One Synth Challenge #130: Phase Plant by Kilohearts (exponent1 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Taron wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:24 am If I had any say in this, I would only allow participants to vote. :shrug: (never mind the drag at times, hehe :hihi: :bang: )
I would instead change the rules so that the participants cannot vote but have the obligation to comment on all the tracks and the vote would leave it in the hands of a group made up of three people - who are different each month - and have the following profile:

1 - That they are not familiar with the contest or with the regular participants, to avoid favoritism of any kind.

2 - That they dominate some field of knowledge related to music or music production, such as composition, sound design, mixing, mastering.
Taron wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:24 am I think it's most excellent, that OSC "players" have to vote and would almost prefer, if only we were allowed to vote to avoid any kind of "fraudulent" or "favoring" voters as we clearly have from time to time. Wouldn't be the first time that we'd see some outside give 1s to everyone except his "favorite" for one reason or another.
I have seen people who have participated with tracks in the past make votes very similar to the one you mention, giving few points to the majority and favoring those who believe they do not represent competition for themselves. :scared:

A couple of months ago I read this comment (OSC128), which might be right:
liqih wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:00 pm voting: math says: the fact _that the same people who enter the contest each month are the same people who vote_ leads the system to a "convergence" that can't be avoided, whatever the voting system.

Well, most certainly a pattern emerges...but many of us have developed a certain discipline regarding the voting, which ends up generally in a decent ballpark regarding the quality of the tracks in the upper section.
I do, however, LOVE your idea with the "professionals", who would be ready to judge a contest like ours. That would be very exciting! :hyper: ...especially, if they were willing to give some advice, of course. Seems unlikely to ever be possible, but completely awesome it would be for sure! :tu:

OK, I propose the following to not hijack this thread. You let the "outsiders" vote and I forget the "professionals". What do you think? :hihi:

Of course, discussion of the voting system ought to take place on the 'general' thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=301957&start=3825

In any case, the synth's developers and their team are not 'outsiders' and I very much welcome the involvement and enthusiasm Stu has shown, enabling this challenge to take place :tu:

Woot :shock: of course the devs are not outsiders, pfff, of course! They come with the perfect agenda and are ideal for the process! If anything, I'm thrilled for them as I know what it feels like to listen to the gems that are being created with their tool. :hyper: :phones: ...in a way I can't wait to release another synth myself, hoping the OSC will take it for a spin then, too!

RichardSemper wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:57 am In any case, the synth's developers and their team are not 'outsiders' and I very much welcome the involvement and enthusiasm Stu has shown, enabling this challenge to take place :tu:
:tu: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm only getting only blank strips on the voting page. Players are not either working. Tried three browsers with the same result. Would this be a problem with the page ?
Or this signify disqualification ? Anyone ?

ELEX wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:34 pm I'm only getting only blank strips on the voting page. Players are not either working. Tried three browsers with the same result. Would this be a problem with the page ?
Or this signify disqualification ? Anyone ?
I had it sitting in a tab for quite some time, and when I reloaded the page just now it appeared as you describe. So I'm guessing something broke. The SoundCloud links still seem to work, though, so maybe you can use those to do your voting. Seems super tedious.

Voted. I may go back and make revisions (assuming the voting page issue doesn't interfere too much). My voting method so far is to rank the pieces, then distribute them more or less evenly between the bins, and make adjustments from there as I listen to them more. There are so many great pieces this month, it feels a little unjust to the lower ranked pieces, though. I dunno. It's scores relative to a strong field.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

@ FrogsInPants

Thanks for the answer. Makes revisions a bit tedious, indeed. Oh, well...as long as that's all, I'm happy enough.
Do agree with your assessment of there being a lot of good pieces. And if that means a box stays empty ( except for oneself, of course ), so be it.

I try to distribute the scores in a relative manner across the 2-5 bins leaving the 1 bin for me - unless there's an entry which simply has not made the grade/tried. As to how I then place tracks depends on a number of criteria. I agree it does feel "unjust" placing a good track in 2, but it has to be seen in the context of this contest only. Some criteria are objective and others (not unreasonably) are subjective. We can't all be masters of all and understand all genres!!! :dog:

In general the "best" tracks bubble/percolate up to the top places. :tu:

Good luck everyone though, some mighty fine tracks there. :clap:

dB

Voted! Good luck everyone. :tu:

There is a bug in the voting site at the moment. Due to a browser security update. Hopefully we will have a fix soon.
Track names are not showing up, although I think the soundcloud links still work.

Voted!

Voting site should now be working properly. Dragging behaviour is changed a little, but should be ok.

RichardSemper wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:42 am Voting site should now be working properly. Dragging behaviour is changed a little, but should be ok.
Thanks for all your hard work to keep it going...

Return to “Instruments”