Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Unify (Standard Edition)

after i post this message im going to log in and buy Unify and will be running it in Cubase 10, however i would like to know if it is possible to automate synth and fx parameters beyond the 8 knobs.

For example in FL Studio patcher i will add a Serum a Massive a Sylenth , a reverb , an eq all ok. I can then right click on any synth or fx parameter and press Activate and Create Automation Clip , this will automatically allow me to make infinite Automation clips on any synth or fx

so is there a way for controlling , creating automation clips for more than 8 parameters , and is this possible to do for outside the plugin , eg i have a Unify patch loaded in cubase with 2-3 synths and a couple of fx , but i want to make automation changes/automation clips to any of my Unify patch synths and fx project wise , and not plugin wise (using the 8 parameter knobs which i might have controlling something else). Is this possible ?
"Proud Steinberg Cubase 8.5 User ever since Cubasis AV"

Hi everyone, this is Shane Dunne, author of Unify. Thanks for all your interest in this new product, and to the over 500 of you who have already purchased it, huge thanks for buying it, and for being patient with us while we come up to speed with all the nitty-gritty of publishing apps and plug-ins for Mac and Windows.

We don't have NKS support in Unify 1.0, but it's coming. I've signed the legal stuff and obtained the NKS SDK from Native Instruments, but it will take a while. If full NKS support (as opposed to just being able to link the knobs on your KK controller to our Macro knobs) is critical for you, you may want to wait.

As others have already clarified, all 400 preset patches that come with Unify require ONLY the built-in and bundled plug-ins, so you can start playing them without even scanning your system for your own third-party plug-ins. If any patch comes up showing a plug-in name in red (indicating Unify couldn't find it), that would indicate an installation problem.

The idea of automatically selecting, or even just suggesting, an alternate plug-in when one is missing is an interesting one, and probably worth further discussion here, but I have to tell you that wouldn't be high on our priority list. One thing we do hope to add is a simple system for tagging plug-ins by function, so for each plug-in rectangle in the GUI you can tell at a glance what kind of instrument or effect it is. This would go a long way, so if a friend sent you a Unify patch using, say, a delay plug-in that you don't have, you'd at least know that it's supposed to be a delay.

Skippy and I will do our best to keep up with the discussion here, but we can't be on all the time. NAMM is coming up, we just sold 500 copies of Unify in the first 48 hours, and a few users are reporting issues we couldn't have foreseen (mostly related to plug-in scanning), so please bear with us as our hands are kinda full at the moment.

Best wishes to all, and once again I thank you for your interest in Unify.

-shane
Last edited by getdunne on Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koukouba wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:53 pm after i post this message im going to log in and buy Unify and will be running it in Cubase 10, however i would like to know if it is possible to automate synth and fx parameters beyond the 8 knobs.

For example in FL Studio patcher i will add a Serum a Massive a Sylenth , a reverb , an eq all ok. I can then right click on any synth or fx parameter and press Activate and Create Automation Clip , this will automatically allow me to make infinite Automation clips on any synth or fx

so is there a way for controlling , creating automation clips for more than 8 parameters , and is this possible to do for outside the plugin , eg i have a Unify patch loaded in cubase with 2-3 synths and a couple of fx , but i want to make automation changes/automation clips to any of my Unify patch synths and fx project wise , and not plugin wise (using the 8 parameter knobs which i might have controlling something else). Is this possible ?
In Unify 1.0 we have only 8 macro knobs, each of which is exposed as a parameter for automation. Very soon we hope to expand this to arbitrarily-many knobs/parameters, with options to group them into "pages" for controllers like the Komplete Kontrol which support that. So the short answer to your question is "not in v1.0, but soon".

-shane

getdunne wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:11 pm In Unify 1.0 we have only 8 macro knobs, each of which is exposed as a parameter for automation. Very soon we hope to expand this to arbitrarily-many knobs/parameters, with options to group them into "pages" for controllers like the Komplete Kontrol which support that. So the short answer to your question is "not in v1.0, but soon".

-shane
Do you have to work with the macro knobs or can you also use the standard Midi CC's that are used in the synths ?
For example, if you have a patch with two different synths, both with filter cutoff assigned to the mod wheel, will it still function as normal (mod wheel changing both synths) or do you have to first assign them to a macro ?
More BPM please

SLiC wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:55 pm Trying to buy (paypal crashing out)--- worth it just for the 2.5 gig of samples and presets!
Edit- Got it!
Thank you!
• Sound Designer / Programmer for Korg Synthesizers
• Custom Sounds 4 Sale (Massive, FM8, Stylus RMX) and Free Video Tutorials PlugInGuru.com.

dionenoid wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:39 pm
getdunne wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:11 pm In Unify 1.0 we have only 8 macro knobs, each of which is exposed as a parameter for automation. Very soon we hope to expand this to arbitrarily-many knobs/parameters, with options to group them into "pages" for controllers like the Komplete Kontrol which support that. So the short answer to your question is "not in v1.0, but soon".

-shane
Do you have to work with the macro knobs or can you also use the standard Midi CC's that are used in the synths ?
For example, if you have a patch with two different synths, both with filter cutoff assigned to the mod wheel, will it still function as normal (mod wheel changing both synths) or do you have to first assign them to a macro ?
All assignments in each synth continue to work and respond to their MIDI CC / macro assignments. We don't filter any of that out. The Knobs in Unify are there in case you want to go nuts and use our "Linked Parameters..." to assign anything in Unify's mixer or any effect on any layer or channel to be changed with that knob. THEN the MIDI CC# of that knob becomes important if you want to control THOSE assignments from an external controller. Good times
• Sound Designer / Programmer for Korg Synthesizers
• Custom Sounds 4 Sale (Massive, FM8, Stylus RMX) and Free Video Tutorials PlugInGuru.com.

getdunne wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:07 pm
One thing we do hope to add is a simple system for tagging plug-ins by function, so for each plug-in rectangle in the GUI you can tell at a glance what kind of instrument or effect it is. This would go a long way, so if a friend sent you a Unify patch using, say, a delay plug-in that you don't have, you'd at least know that it's supposed to be a delay.

-shane
Hi- One of the 500 here :wink: I look forward to supporting and watching the development of this interesting device....(host? instrument? ecosystem?!)

Regarding above- I think if people have a tag or note to 'describe' the sound or fx applied then if the instrument/fx isn't available people will be able to work it out...

If you have presets that have what vst's are used linked in the description/notes somehow, at least you can maybe filter by presets I have all of the necessary plugins for!

What's the plan for where we will get or exchange these presets that involve 3rd party VSTs?

Good luck!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:13 pm If you have presets that have what vst's are used linked in the description/notes somehow, at least you can maybe filter by presets I have all of the necessary plugins for!

What's the plan for where we will get or exchange these presets that involve 3rd party VSTs?
In the Unify patch browser, you can already filter by Instrument (e.g. synth) plug-in. We thought about adding similar filtering for audio effects, but that's just more complexity. What you asked for--the ability to show only presets for which you have all necessary plug-ins--would be simpler and much more useful, and is definitely on my to-do list.

As for how to share presets... This is the perfect place to discuss that. User presets are just files, and could be shared in any way people share files now--from online forums to passing USB sticks. Would you like to see "export preset to folder" and "import from folder" functions built into Unify? I think that would be enough, then people who want to share can go ahead and share however they like.

Suggestions for sharing mechanisms are welcome!

-shane

Unify don't recognize Arturia SEM V on my VST folder, but Bitwig does.
same for the valhalla reverbs.

anyone having same issues?

realkuhl wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:08 pm All assignments in each synth continue to work and respond to their MIDI CC / macro assignments. We don't filter any of that out. The Knobs in Unify are there in case you want to go nuts and use our "Linked Parameters..." to assign anything in Unify's mixer or any effect on any layer or channel to be changed with that knob. THEN the MIDI CC# of that knob becomes important if you want to control THOSE assignments from an external controller. Good times
Cool. Thanx for the answer. :tu:
More BPM please

As I understand it:
It's a synth rack and plug-in host? As you would expect, sounds are saved and loaded with the plugin. So you load a complete rack of different Synth + sounds. Parameters can also be linked to a macro button.
For some synths/racks John has programmed a few sounds, which is of course a great added value (Skippy has a very good reputation as sound designer for a reason). A few free synths are also included.

The crucial question is of course: how compatible is it as host and can it load all VSTs. What about effects, is there some kind of insert/send slot?

I'm basically not the biggest fan of racks. For layering different synths I have the DAW.
The Youtube videos didn't really "enlighten" me or I saw the wrong ones but there is a demo/trial version?

Xryz wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:42 pm Unify don't recognize Arturia SEM V on my VST folder, but Bitwig does.
same for the valhalla reverbs.

anyone having same issues?
I have got all the Valhalla reverbs and Delays
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

4damind wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:50 pm The crucial question is of course: how compatible is it as host and can it load all VSTs. What about effects, is there some kind of insert/send slot?

I'm basically not the biggest fan of racks. For layering different synths I have the DAW.
The Youtube videos didn't really "enlighten" me or I saw the wrong ones but there is a demo/trial version?
You raise some good points here.

Plug-in compatibility is a long, hard slog. Every plug-in is different, and there are lots of strange cases where something works on one system but not on another. It may take us quite a while until we can load as many different plug-ins as major DAWs.

Re effects: Unify can load instruments (MIDI in, audio out), audio effects (audio in, audio out) and MIDI effects (MIDI in, MIDI out) in various combinations. Unify v1.0 cannot work AS an effect; this is something we plan to add in a future update.

A DAW is a wonderful tool for layering, but combinations created in a DAW can't easily be ported to a different DAW, and in many cases, the work-flow to set up a particular combination (especially with non-trivial MIDI routing) is very tedious. These are the issues we're trying to address with Unify.

This shows you the power of Unify...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUQGV_i2GOM

I would love to see some amazing patches for say Omnisphere layered with Zebra and using Soundtoys or Valhalla for fx- this is the type of thing I do in Bitwig but Unify is a sort of universal platform for that- Perhaps pluginguru (who have some great presets) could reviews 100 or so as an 'example' of what can be done that users (with the VSTs) can actually try?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”