Is there any VST out there that can replace Integra?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm
bedjka wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:03 am Imo, you should get a Yamaha MODX and use it as a sound module if you want to keep on using your actual midi keyboard.
For bread and butter sounds MODX offers for most instruments better quality than Integra, especially if you use brass, winds, strings and other orchestral sounds.
I wouldn't want to argue which one has the best sounds - they are both great, but Yamaha does not seem to have a sound module version. The problem then being that you are forced to buy the Modx keyboard to replace your current master keyboard, and it does not have aftertouch, so if you need aftertouch you will have to accommodate an un-needed keyboard in your rig.

And even worse, you would be driven crazy by that flashing blue "super knob" light !

I think Yamaha is dropping the ball by not coming out with a ModX Rack.
You can still buy a new Yamaha rack unit, but it's a couple generations old.

dellboy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm ... even worse, you would be driven crazy by that flashing blue "super knob" light !
Which can be dimmed, switched constant or turned off completely.

And BTW, my Motif XS rack (with FireWire expansion port) is still for sale on eBay. ;)

The Integra-7 brings you great sounds in an easy to use VST or iPad editors but as a hardware sound device, it is limited to what it has which a staggering amount of sounds, with that said IMHO a good software sampler is great to have with the Integra-7.

I chose to get the Structure 2 which is a powerhouse full sampling VI that comes with 37GB of content for only $149.99

Together these 2 take care of most of all my sound needs.

I also was going to say HALion Sonic, but I see you've already dismissed that one.
Still, it's the best choice on the market for quickly selecting from synthetic and acoustic instruments in a workstation/rompler fashion.
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

How about Korg Triton?

I have Integra-7, for exactly the same reasons - i needed to simple and clean sounds. But for now i wouldn't buy it again. Roland has practically abandoned it, no drivers updates etc. So forget about the iPad app or connecting to a computer. And then yes, loading times are short and there is lots of good sounds, but working with small display is a real pain.

Indeed, try a new Korg Triton VST instead

Following this thread
I miss the fast browsing thru sounds ability of hardware synths.
So ironic that modern day computers and software can't compete with something like Integra-7.

Korg, Roland, and Yamaha still remain the Kings of Romplers / "workstation synths"

pluton wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:12 am Following this thread
So ironic that modern day computers and software can't compete with something like Integra-7.

Korg, Roland, and Yamaha still remain the Kings of Romplers / "workstation synths"
Except they can, and they do so very well.

I think it would be good to pick up a used Integra. It’s a pretty powerful unit if you’re after rompler sounds.
:borg:

Nightshade03 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:08 am
pluton wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:12 am Following this thread

Except they can, and they do so very well.
Soome big sample libraries, yes in terms of sound quality, but not in speed of switching thru sounds

What is the average size of an Integra patch? The entire SRX-02: Concert Piano Expansion Board is only 64MB (0.064GB). The average Integra patch is fairly small compared to the average soft synth romper patch. Maybe that's why the Integra patches load so fast.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I think it's great they can get good sound with a small sample size.

Pillimees wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:27 am Roland has practically abandoned it, no drivers updates etc.
This is my surprised face.

Roland is basically the deadbeat dad of electronic music.

Steve Bolivar wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:01 pm What is the average size of an Integra patch? The entire SRX-02: Concert Piano Expansion Board is only 64MB (0.064GB). The average Integra patch is fairly small compared to the average soft synth romper patch. Maybe that's why the Integra patches load so fast.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I think it's great they can get good sound with a small sample size.
The Integra 7 has a couple of Mini SD cards probably for the EXPs inside so probably a good few GBs and no, nobody managed to unlock the data inside them. It makes also sense that the raw data of the SN sounds are stored in non volatile memory cells. My guess is ~32gb as a rough estimation but it doesn't matter. How much data is stored in the Montage for comparison? Should be similar imo.

bedjka wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:03 am Imo, you should get a Yamaha MODX and use it as a sound module if you want to keep on using your actual midi keyboard.
For bread and butter sounds MODX offers for most instruments better quality than Integra, especially if you use brass, winds, strings and other orchestral sounds.

Too bad there's no ModX sound module. :x

I guess better late than never...

I'm the Op of this thread, I posted it 7 months ago and I see it got back to the first page, guess it's a good sign that I should tell what my final decision was :ud:

Basically I don't have time to start browsing through different kontakt libraries and wait for the loading times or tweaking the hell out of flat sounding vsts, my goal is to compose and create, not being a sound designer or collecting 50gb libraries for each instrument category, so I ended up buying roland fa and yamaha moxf.

The roland is nice but I will probably sell it because most of its acoustic sounds are cheesy pcm sounds, there are not enough acoustic sounds from the supernatural engine and all the available online content for the fa are from the pcm engine.

The yamaha moxf, however, is a total BEAST.
I know the modx is out but I'm not interested on the fm engine, and the awm2 engine is that same one in the moxf, and moxf is cheaper.
Yamaha also released a top notch pc editor so I use it basically just like a vsti, but in contrast to all rompler vstis out there..I don't spend even half a second tweaking the sounds or waiting for loading times.

Each category has an excellent array of high quality production ready sounds, I love the fact that I've got everything that I need (drums,piano,guitars etc) in one tool. That's really boosted my creativity and makes everything 10x easier.

To sum it up, I've tried almost every rompler vst out there...nothing comes close to the moxf.
If someone read this thread and is looking for a rompler, I would highly suggest to abandon the vsts realm and stick to one of the big 3.

Return to “Instruments”