New Pigments 2 Thread (On Topic Discussion Only, Please)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Palette for Arturia Pigments 2 Pigments 5

Are you serious? I can get way bigger bass sounds from Pigments than I can from Legend. Way bigger. The secret is using resonance in the filter.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

yes, believe it or not, I was serious.

I have 6 synths, each got its own strengths and weaknesses for me, so I'm taking the best I like from every synth I have, otherwise I would have just used 1 synth for everything. pigments is great for most of the other sounds though, don't like it for bass.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:43 pm As I've said, how do you know there is an issue with the Matrix filter? Maybe that's how the real one behaves and it's just a super-accurate model? Until you know for a fact that it's not, you don't have an issue, just a feature. And again, if it was such a big issue, why didn't you bother working out the real cause?
First of all, you sound like a fanboy who now will be covering his favourite synth to death, even bugs.

Did you read what I said, btw? If that was an intended behaviour, the Arturia woud said that a few months ago. Nonetheless, they have confirmed thid was a bug. The real cause is not known. It's just appears when the Matrix filter is selected. So don't tell me that is a feature until you know it for sure. Please read my text carefully, so you don't start writing same things twice.
Last edited by Igro on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Db

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:31 am
machinesworking wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:19 amI don't see any direct reason for comparison. About all Pigments has in common with U-He synths, is they all can be classified as synths. Even Hive and Pigments as wavetable synths, different strengths and weaknesses. Plus flatly, Hive doesn't have an "analog emulation" oscillator, or granular synthesis, or regular sampling..
So what? They both sit in my VSTi folder which means every time I want to load a new synth into a project, they are competing for that job. To me that makes any comparison completely valid.
:lol: You have a point there, but it's entirely rational to think that every synth doesn't have to compete for every synthesis type or sound you can get from a synth.
The argument that Pigments doesn't have the same quality of X parameter as Y synth to me is pointless. The bigger question is whether you can and will use the synth, if the sounds it does well are useful to you. Personally before I even heard it I was sold, good UX counts, and Pigments is laid out so well I'm going to work with it, if everything in it was just mediocre it would still be useful. Being able to access everything quickly and fluently counts.

Plus, I'm not the type to buy one synth and be done with it, I want at least 6 solid synths to work with, plus a dozen specialized synths to toss in as I see fit.
I worked through the 80's and 90's with just one or two synths and a sampler, I see no reason to go back to that.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:43 pmAnd if it was such a big issue for you, I'd have thought you would have at least spent the two or three minutes I did working out exactly where the problem was.
You don't know where the problem is too, so why you bother wasting time on giving meaningless fanboy comments?

I know exactly where one is and vaguely where the other one is, you were completely wrong on both counts.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:43 pm Hardly. They are just catering to a different market, because I'd take Pigments over any U-He synth I can think of. It feels way more polished and professional to me than the U-He synths I own (Hive and the RePros) and sounds at least as good.
Good that you told this. Now I can know for sure, that you don't own good pair of ears (I'm talking about real ones). All the rest of your comments now pretty obsolete to me.

"They are just catering to a different market". What this suppose to mean? Lol. This sounds meangless to me.

Also, I said above that Uhe synths are so polished quality wise - i cannot spot any ugly click, zipper noise, problem with the envelopes and so on. They are without those overlooked/bug sound artifacts. I'm not talking about YOUR preferences in synths here. I don't care about it. All you posts so far was like "Me-me-me!"
Last edited by Igro on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

nirm123 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:08 am yes, believe it or not, I was serious.

I have 6 synths, each got its own strengths and weaknesses for me, so I'm taking the best I like from every synth I have, otherwise I would have just used 1 synth for everything. pigments is great for most of the other sounds though, don't like it for bass.
I can attest it does bass well. IMO it sounds like and does "modern" bass well. Traditional DX7 or Minimoog type bass lines maybe not as well or easily as Diva or Arturia's DX7 clone? but why would you reach for Pigments for that? Goes back to what my point in these threads, Pigments has and does it's own sound, like every synth out there. There's always crossover, and always things that are easiest with a particular synth, but why use Pigments to attempt to emulate a Moog for instance? when there's at least a dozen better softsynths if that's the sound you want?

When I was a kid all synths were hardware, to get a good variety of synths would've been close to 20K, plus 10K for an Emulator II. All of this is available for a couple hundred dollars, maybe $1200. Pigments is going to sit in the top 5 used synths in my collection, and I'm a collector, I've got a total of 41 soft synths doing a quick count, not counting samplers or emulations like Kontakt, MPC2, string machines etc.

Igro wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:59 am
BONES wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:43 pm As I've said, how do you know there is an issue with the Matrix filter? Maybe that's how the real one behaves and it's just a super-accurate model? Until you know for a fact that it's not, you don't have an issue, just a feature. And again, if it was such a big issue, why didn't you bother working out the real cause?
First of all, you sound like a fanboy who now will be covering his favourite synth to death, even bugs.

Did you read what I said, btw? If that was an intended behaviour, the Arturia woud said that a few months ago. Nonetheless, they have confirmed thid was a bug. The real cause is not known. It's just appears when the Matrix filter is selected. So don't tell me that is a feature until you know it for sure. Please read my text carefully, so you don't start writing same things twice.
Igro, no need to get so aggressive with BONES. he doesn't sound to me like a fanboy at all, his points here are quite solid.

nirm123 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:51 am
perpetual3 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:15 am @Bones

You can do some really cool things with the sequencer, Introducing randomness with probability, etc.
I agree, actually I would have paid 69$ just for it as I can do things with it that I can't do elsewhere, I'm actually sort of playing the sequencer live, modifying randomness (and using regen to keep it dynamic) and then resetting to original state, you get a really organic performance which is amazing. also where I do see pigments sounds a bit lacking comparing to other synths I have (mostly bass sounds, hard for me to get a rich full bass I can easily get from other synths) I'm still using it to control other synths (mostly legend and massive x which I like to use for bass sounds).
Exactly what I’m doing, and also controlling Massive X.

machinesworking wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:33 am
nirm123 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:08 am yes, believe it or not, I was serious.

I can attest it does bass well. IMO it sounds like and does "modern" bass well. Traditional DX7 or Minimoog type bass lines maybe not as well or easily as Diva or Arturia's DX7 clone? but why would you reach for Pigments for that? Goes back to what my point in these threads, Pigments has and does it's own sound, like every synth out there. There's always crossover, and always things that are easiest with a particular synth, but why use Pigments to attempt to emulate a Moog for instance? when there's at least a dozen better softsynths if that's the sound you want?

When I was a kid all synths were hardware, to get a good variety of synths would've been close to 20K, plus 10K for an Emulator II. All of this is available for a couple hundred dollars, maybe $1200. Pigments is going to sit in the top 5 used synths in my collection, and I'm a collector, I've got a total of 41 soft synths doing a quick count, not counting samplers or emulations like Kontakt, MPC2, string machines etc.
If it wasn't clear so far, I think that pigments is an AMAZING synth (definitely a top 5 synth for me as well) but I don't like the bass sounds it produces, I don't say they're bad, PERSONALLY I prefer my bass parts to sound different. I can easily get a dirty, warm, fat with a lot bottom end bass sound from legend and massive x, also I'd like to vary the synths sound I'm using, this is why I don't only use 1 synth. for me what pigments does the best is a clean, crystal clear sounds (+ great UI, modulations options, a brilliant sequencer, great sampler/granular engine). for most of the other sounds I have in my head (i.e - going analog, dirty) I prefer other synths (and even then I now I'm using often pigments sequencer in order to control them) so the legend now became a much more versatile synth for me (and massive x also doesn't have a straightforward sequencer, while the performers are absolutely brilliant using them as sequencers is pretty clumsy, no notes re-triggering and you have to bring oscillators amplitude to zero in order to skip a note).

nirm123 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:08 am for most of the other sounds I have in my head (i.e - going analog, dirty) I prefer other synths
Oh wow? Dirty is by far something I think Pigments does really really well. Even before the granular engine, the first couple patches I came up for it were noise, sound FX moving sequences etc.

Don't sell it short there. IMO Diva and Massive will do a thick bass maybe a little quicker, but dirty is Pigments game. 8)

I guess he meant dirty analog. I’d probably take Thorn for that though... :wink: (just to provoke comments like “what? Thorn is far from analog”...)
But the choice of synth, in case you got more than one is a matter of taste, and your personal experience. If you have a sound in mind you take the tool of your first association, usually that which gives you an immediate path how to sculpt it. There are synths which also inspire to walk into unknown territory. That is the domain of synths like Pigments, Lion or the Grid...

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:35 am I guess he meant dirty analog. I’d probably take Thorn for that though...
But the choice of synth, in case you got more than one is a matter of taste, and your personal experience. If you have a sound in mind you take the tool of your first association, usually that which gives you an immediate path how to sculpt it. There are synths which also inspire to walk into unknown territory. That is the domain of synths like Pigments, Lion or the Grid...
yes, I meant and explicitly wrote dirty analog.

guys, considering a synth to be great doesn't mean I can't prefer sounds coming from other synths for some use cases.

it's all a matter a personal taste and finding the right balance.

Return to “Instruments”