Any love for ANA2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Russell Grand wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:38 pm I personally do not. Yikes that's steep.
I paid more for Zebra2 and I use that less than I use ANA2 (Z2 was still worth it though)

oonabe wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:02 pm I am also thinking about getting the Future Bass sound pack, have you casually tried that one out?
Hey, I've only got Synthwave for myself. My friend is yet to try out other packs, he's got a bunch of EDM ones.
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

I must say, the title of this thread caught my eye for the wrong reasons, and I had to do a double check....
paz por esos mundos

Dencheg wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:05 pm
oonabe wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:02 pm I am also thinking about getting the Future Bass sound pack, have you casually tried that one out?
Hey, I've only got Synthwave for myself. My friend is yet to try out other packs, he's got a bunch of EDM ones.
Thanks for the answer, the synthwave pack is great and surely the one I'll get the most out of it.

EDM sounds are quite interesting too but there are so many out there - for ANA2 and of course other synths I own - that it is sometimes difficult to find out the right expansion pack for personal needs.

pascual wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:59 am I must say, the title of this thread caught my eye for the wrong reasons, and I had to do a double check....
and you popped in to express your love for...? :hihi:

Seems like I can get Ana2 for a nice price now. I wanted to purchase TAl Mod but Ana seems much more rich on features and I can have it for almost the same money.

My demo has expired long ago and most sound demos on youtube are related to synthwave or commerical EDM neither of which interests me. Are there any other kind of demos to be found? Psytrance, acid, downtempo, ambient, cinematic, IDM, or just any kind of unusual/experimental sound design?

I'm especially interested in hearing vowel filters and FM in action.

I have most of the obvious competitors like Spire, Dune3, Rapid, Massive X but in this rare case I have some spare money to burn on a new synth :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

For psytrance specifically, there is a very short demo for the Psytrance presets pack that SA sells - I think a number of them come from Dr Doubledrop who I think has some other packs they sell direct that should have demos attached to them. I don't recall anything particularly unusual in the SA set - squelches, leads - you know the drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PotPLjqVR3w

Thanks!
Yes, this sounds like what any guy who knows what psytrance sounds like could create with any synth having a bandpass filter.

But at least it's more or less close to what I'm after.

recursive one wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:47 pm Seems like I can get Ana2 for a nice price now. I wanted to purchase TAl Mod but Ana seems much more rich on features and I can have it for almost the same money.

My demo has expired long ago and most sound demos on youtube are related to synthwave or commerical EDM neither of which interests me. Are there any other kind of demos to be found? Psytrance, acid, downtempo, ambient, cinematic, IDM, or just any kind of unusual/experimental sound design?

I'm especially interested in hearing vowel filters and FM in action.

I have most of the obvious competitors like Spire, Dune3, Rapid, Massive X but in this rare case I have some spare money to burn on a new synth :)
I would recommend to watch the walkthrough videos on how to use ANA 2 on their website, they're not too long and you can see how this synth works and if it's something for you or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzxJlA4 ... UuGHmXlnFG

On that same list they have several tutorials on how to make some acid sounds, trance, a psy bass, some sound design on blade runner style...

Another synth that might be interesting for cinematically and experimental stuff is Aparillo by Sugar Bytes

Thanks, oonabe. That's an interesting texture.

I browsed some preset and sound-design videos, while I have most of these sounds already covered ANA2 seems to have a really nice character, fat and punchy. Sort of "smoothened" verion of Spire's sound, with more "body" or something.

If someone has both ANA2 and Spire, how do you think - how they actually compare sonically?

recursive one wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:45 am Thanks, oonabe. That's an interesting texture.

I browsed some preset and sound-design videos, while I have most of these sounds already covered ANA2 seems to have a really nice character, fat and punchy. Sort of "smoothened" verion of Spire's sound, with more "body" or something.

If someone has both ANA2 and Spire, how do you think - how they actually compare sonically?
Actually I have both of them as well as Serum and Sylenth1 and I think you described it very good already, in some ways ANA2 sounds similar to Spire just a little bit smoother and kind of wider... I did a test recently where I compare all four of these synths and you can listen to a Spire version and a ANA2 version of the same test.

This is ANA 2:
https://soundcloud.com/oonabe/synthwave ... 00111-ana2

And this is Spire:
https://soundcloud.com/oonabe/synthwave ... 0111-spire

In my opinion ANA 2 is the perfect synth for modern synthwave, it sounds full and smoother than Spire and this seems to work great for that style, specially if you're looking for a modern sound at the same time and not for very authentic recreations of the 80s sounds as they sounded those days.

Thanks, great examples!

Ana example sounds somewhat bigger and fatter - though I understand it wasn't your intention to make exactly the same patches in both, was it?

Synthwave and the 80's synths don't really interest me (if someone would need to sell a synth to me they would rather have to convince me that it can sound like Access Virus :) ) but I like the sound character I hear here.

recursive one wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:09 am Thanks, great examples!

Ana example sounds somewhat bigger and fatter - though I understand it wasn't your intention to make exactly the same patches in both, was it?

Synthwave and the 80's synths don't really interest me (if someone would need to sell a synth to me they would rather have to convince me that it can sound like Access Virus :) ) but I like the sound character I hear here.

No, the patches were just presets, some of them default some of them from expansions I bought for both synths. I'm still learning how to use them properly and when I do I'll upload a new test trying to make the exact same sounds with different synths and see if there are significant differences between them

recursive one wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:45 am Thanks, oonabe. That's an interesting texture.

You've hit the nail on the head there. I did a lot of the sound design for the factory content in ANA2 and it's just so much nicer sounding than Spire. To be fair, I've never liked Spire as it always sounds a bit forced, but ANA2 is very suited to a lot of psytrance stuff simply because of the host of different filter models and wavetable/FM sections.

I did do a little psytrance test when I was doing the factory content, although I don't claim to be an extpert on the genre at all :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7OS7Z0Yfgk

Very cool example!

Some of the sounds could have a bit more polishing (it seems that resonance goes a bit out of control in places in that arp patch at 1:14) - but overall these patches sound like something that could be used right away in an actual psy track - of course if someone is not shy of using sequenced presets. :)

I do love Spire, it was actually one of the first synths I bought when I was staring out and I've used it a lot since then. But I agree that it sounds somewhat "forced" as you say. It tends to sound thin and there is something weird about the envelopes which sometimes makes it difficult to mix. Synths like Sylenth, Diva, Massive X and of course Virus TI are much better in this regard.

I wonder if it may be possible to reset the demo period. I installed the demo almost the same day ANA2 was released but it happened that I barely had any time to test it before it expired (I do hate time limietd demos!).

Return to “Instruments”