Is anyone using Blue Cat's Plug'n Script ?

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF
4098 posts since 8 Sep, 2004 from Paris (France)

Post Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:06 am

You may want to try it out. The problem is that all plug-in formats & hosts have particular ways to handle sysex (either as a single buffer or as regular 3 bytes MIDI packets). By the avoid VST3 for MIDI as it only supports MIDI note messages properly.

lfm
KVRAF
5168 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Re: Is anyone using Blue Cat's Plug'n Script ?

Post Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:24 am

Blue Cat Audio wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:06 am
You may want to try it out. The problem is that all plug-in formats & hosts have particular ways to handle sysex (either as a single buffer or as regular 3 bytes MIDI packets). By the avoid VST3 for MIDI as it only supports MIDI note messages properly.
Thanks for being frank and open about it.

Right now I am only concerned about StudioOne for personal use, not for public distribution.

StudioOne does not support sysex as such, I think - but is handled by the midi monitor built in - so think it handles or filters at least. Am to see if it records at all later today.

I've tested to send from Ctrlr controller plugin and it works.

So running script in VST2 of Plug'n Script is you best tip?

Are other things to be considered as future update eliminating these limitations, or?
You've been really good with patchwork and those things.

If I need to make a C++-something to bypass certain things, I can do that.
Don't know if full VST developer kits are needed in doing such things.
Or is this a "biggy"?

And think audience making external gear editors is huge - and would benefit greatly.

My first attempt is to send some sysex to control parameters in my Yamaha piano that they chose not having available otherwise than sysex.

Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:06 am

Yes, VST2 is the best format for MIDI support (VST3 has completely removed MIDI, and what remains is usually implemented with "hacks").

We indeed intend to properly support Sysex in all plug-ins formats at some point in the future, but it is a rather large task.

quikquak
KVRian
642 posts since 6 Aug, 2005 from England

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:22 am

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/steinberg ... d-67-43543
New Steinberg:Vst:LegacyMIDICCOutEvent: allowing a Plug-in to generate MIDI CC as output event.
New Steinberg:Vst:IMidiLearn (Plug-in): allow a Plug-in to get the currently live playing MIDI CC to implement custom MIDI learning.
New Steinberg:Vst:IPlugInterfaceSupport (Host): allow a Plug-in to ask the host if a given Plug-in interface is supported/used by the host.
New Steinberg:Vst:IVst3WrapperMPESupport (Wrapper): allow a Plug-in to setup MPE support in wrappers.

Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:48 am

At last! It will probably take some time before it is fully supported by all hosts though!

Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:25 am

A quick update: the new Plug'n Script 3.2 now fully supports MIDI I/O for the VST3 format, so it should finally be on a par with VST2, as long as you use a host that properly supports it...

On a completely different subject (but closer to the original topic), feel free to join this new Plug'n Script developers Facebook group (created by PnS users) if you would like to get in touch with fellow Plug'n Script developers.

kingozrecords
KVRist
127 posts since 7 Apr, 2019

Post Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:27 pm

I bought and have been fiddling around with this program. It works well and I highly recommend it to anyone.

The angelscript manual download is recommended, as is the gui embedded tech's instruction so that your skin is good. I'll be making my effects and such into aax and vst3, aax with this great plugin.

I'm a big supporter of Bluecat's plugins and will be posting tutorials in how to use this product to efficacy when I get serious with it.

Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 am

Thanks! Welcome to the community! :tu:

You may also want to join the unofficial Plug'n Script developers group on Facebook created by PnS enthusiasts, and share your creations on the Plug'n Script repository on GitHub.

kingozrecords
KVRist
127 posts since 7 Apr, 2019

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:25 am

Yes, I'll share. all will be cc0. I was able to dl what you had; but it was minimal at best. I'm busy on projects right now but as soon as I can I will, your product has a lot of advantages. For VST2 though, the eccentric flowstone has such unique quirks, especially in sound - It's really too amusing to avoid lol. Your product works as expected which I like, but I've gotten used to eccentricity :).

I'll have to find ways of adding complexity and strangeness heh.

Dewdman42
KVRAF
1756 posts since 14 Mar, 2006

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:29 pm

Blue Cat Audio wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:06 am
Yes, VST2 is the best format for MIDI support (VST3 has completely removed MIDI, and what remains is usually implemented with "hacks").
Do you know where I can find out some information about midi hacks being used to get all midi in/out of a VST3 plugin?
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-128gb 10.14, X32+AES16e-50

Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF

Post Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:36 am

I think you can find some information about it in the Steinberg developer forum, but it's a bit all over the place. If I remember well, the basics are:
- create "dummy" parameters (one per channel/CC Number - yes, that's a lot) to handle MIDI CC support. Make them non-automatable if you do not want the host to die...
- create (yet another) parameter to handle program change.
- there is an extra API for "Legacy" MIDI CC output.
But the issue is that all hosts do not support all of the above. Also, MIDI CC is not optimal, as there is (in many cases) no timing information.

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”