Any love for ANA2?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
Vortifex
KVRAF
1655 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:32 am

recursive one wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:41 am
Yes, Rapid has pretty tame sounding FM (which is not even FM as far as I know, rather PM).

Though you may get somewhat edgier sounds if you use it on a wavetable which already has some FM embedded.

WIP mix, unfinished, unmastered (and not sure if ever will be), just an example of FM sounds from Virus which I personally like (at 3:00)

https://vocaroo.com/1fUS1BNPRMm
That's a nice track. I loved that formant lead sound that came in at 4:05.

Trancit
KVRAF
2569 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:40 pm

recursive one wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:41 am
Yes, Rapid has pretty tame sounding FM (which is not even FM as far as I know, rather PM).
Nearly no synth uses real FM... the most do Phase Modulation instead as it is much more useable and musical... real FM is very hard to tame respectively to get something harmonic out of...
WIP mix, unfinished, unmastered (and not sure if ever will be), just an example of FM sounds from Virus which I personally like (at 3:00)
Ok, you are more on the bubbly side of FM sounds... 8)
That´s the reason you don´t like the FM feature of Serum as it´s not the best synth to get this kind of sounds from...
I like them a lot more gritty so Serum or Operator are perfect for me...

User avatar
tehlord
KVRAF
7923 posts since 22 Sep, 2008 from Windsor. UK

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:02 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:38 am
tehlord wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:44 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:47 pm

I haven't really been using the sample osc much as I feel like they really need to change the way the parameters behave. It's been brought up before but moving one parameter should not change another one.
Not sure what you mean?
Often when you adjust one parameter in the sample section, it moves another knob. This should never be the case, especially for automatable parameters. It's been discussed plenty in the other ANA thread.

Oh yeah that would be weird. I've never come across it, so it must be a specific set of circumstances.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
7714 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:30 am

tehlord wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:02 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:38 am
tehlord wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:44 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:47 pm

I haven't really been using the sample osc much as I feel like they really need to change the way the parameters behave. It's been brought up before but moving one parameter should not change another one.
Not sure what you mean?
Often when you adjust one parameter in the sample section, it moves another knob. This should never be the case, especially for automatable parameters. It's been discussed plenty in the other ANA thread.

Oh yeah that would be weird. I've never come across it, so it must be a specific set of circumstances.
Yeah but pretty common circumstance. Any time you adjust the start knob or loop end knob, the loop start knob will move.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

recursive one
KVRAF
4512 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:39 am

Vortifex wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:32 am
That's a nice track. I loved that formant lead sound that came in at 4:05.
Thanks :) That lead was Spire btw
Trancit wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:40 pm
Ok, you are more on the bubbly side of FM sounds... 8)
That´s the reason you don´t like the FM feature of Serum as it´s not the best synth to get this kind of sounds from...
I like them a lot more gritty so Serum or Operator are perfect for me...
I use various FM sounds, incl those I make in Serum, but these "liquid" or "bubbly" as you say Virus FM sounds are special :)

I unce tried to understand the actual difference between FM and PM but either the explanation I read was too complicated or I'm to stupid
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

User avatar
nevis
KVRist
247 posts since 17 Dec, 2016 from Germany

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:24 pm

Anybody updated to 2.0.94?
I was only notified today. The timestamps of the files point more to mid-December 2019.
v2.0.94
- FIXED: Issue with Pro Tools crashing
- FIXED: Issue with MIDI learn causing a crash on GUI load

Butwug
KVRist
354 posts since 26 Oct, 2018

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 pm

recursive one wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:39 am

I unce tried to understand the actual difference between FM and PM but either the explanation I read was too complicated or I'm to stupid
Closest I ever came to understanding it was when Urs, if Im not mistaken, explained that FM is like driving down a street and looking at the buildings as you pass them, and PM is like sitting in a still car and the buildings are moving past you. Still dont know how to apply that to the actual difference but it’s a start I guess :lol:

recursive one
KVRAF
4512 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:36 pm

Butwug wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 pm
recursive one wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:39 am

I unce tried to understand the actual difference between FM and PM but either the explanation I read was too complicated or I'm to stupid
Closest I ever came to understanding it was when Urs, if Im not mistaken, explained that FM is like driving down a street and looking at the buildings as you pass them, and PM is like sitting in a still car and the buildings are moving past you. Still dont know how to apply that to the actual difference but it’s a start I guess :lol:
I've read that explanation too but it didn't help me much :oops:

Anyways, I know where that FM knob is in the synths I'm using, that's enough for me :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
4958 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:33 am

I took another look at Ana after I couldn't realize an idea with other synths in a reasonable way.
For Serum I was missing a third wavetable oscillator. Dune was too cumbersome with the layers.
With Ana it was the easiest and with the result I was so satisfied, that I used it also in a song.

I used a waveform from my Virus XL with 5x unison (2nd oscillator 1 octave higher). The Filter Decay is modulated with an LFO and a third oscillator provides some movement in the background.
This is the sequence with a delay (Echoboy Jr Ping Pong 1/8d)

Ana Sequence

Here this sequence in the finished track:
https://soundcloud.com/52degree/24-hour ... at/s-f1waS

recursive one
KVRAF
4512 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:37 am

4damind wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:33 am
I took another look at Ana after I couldn't realize an idea with other synths in a reasonable way.
For Serum I was missing a third wavetable oscillator. Dune was too cumbersome with the layers.
With Ana it was the easiest and with the result I was so satisfied, that I used it also in a song.

I used a waveform from my Virus XL with 5x unison (2nd oscillator 1 octave higher). The Filter Decay is modulated with an LFO and a third oscillator provides some movement in the background.
This is the sequence with a delay (Echoboy Jr Ping Pong 1/8d)

Ana Sequence

Here this sequence in the finished track:
https://soundcloud.com/52degree/24-hour ... at/s-f1waS
Sounds lovely, very nice character

And your track is really good. :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
4958 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:30 am

recursive one wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:37 am
4damind wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:33 am
I took another look at Ana after I couldn't realize an idea with other synths in a reasonable way.
For Serum I was missing a third wavetable oscillator. Dune was too cumbersome with the layers.
With Ana it was the easiest and with the result I was so satisfied, that I used it also in a song.

I used a waveform from my Virus XL with 5x unison (2nd oscillator 1 octave higher). The Filter Decay is modulated with an LFO and a third oscillator provides some movement in the background.
This is the sequence with a delay (Echoboy Jr Ping Pong 1/8d)

Ana Sequence

Here this sequence in the finished track:
https://soundcloud.com/52degree/24-hour ... at/s-f1waS
Sounds lovely, very nice character

And your track is really good. :tu:
Thank you! :love:

recursive one
KVRAF
4512 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:32 am

Btw, was it ana 1 or 2?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
4958 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:36 am

recursive one wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:32 am
Btw, was it ana 1 or 2?
Ana 2

bite_me
KVRist
412 posts since 2 May, 2015 from Ruhrgebiet

Re: Any love for ANA2?

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:31 am

Suddenly I lost the connection between Ana2 and the preset folder.
The browser is totally empty now. The factory and my own presets are already there,
but I just don´t know how to connect them again.
Please, if anyone ran into this issue please tell me how to fix this.
Win7x64 Bitwig2
The average bored guy :neutral:

Return to “Instruments”