PLASMONIC - A new synth from Brian Clevinger

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3828 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:03 am

spunkmuffin wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:59 am
I have some idea of what a waveguide is but what is a 'self-oscillating waveguide'? Is it like a speaker cone? Or maybe a vibrating tube...hmm
Waveguides have a feedback path. Push it up and it will explode (another word for self-oscillation...)

gunnar
KVRist
188 posts since 29 May, 2001

Re: PLASMONIC - A new synth from Brian Clevinger

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:44 am

BBFG# wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:15 pm
I had one professor postulate a belief that the first melodic instrument was probably the wind blowing through a hollow log.

:shrug:
The first instrument was the universe crashing without any noise into existence

krankyone
KVRist
189 posts since 13 Oct, 2006

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:41 am

Needs more bass
Mid 2010 3.33 Ghz Hexacore Mac Pro, OS 10.13.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live

BBFG#
KVRAF
5876 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:39 am

gunnar wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:44 am
BBFG# wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:15 pm
I had one professor postulate a belief that the first melodic instrument was probably the wind blowing through a hollow log.

:shrug:
The first instrument was the universe crashing without any noise into existence
No. Before that.
But for this, the timing starts with the primates of humankind...

starflakeprj
KVRian
1263 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Re: New synths coming from Brian Clevinger

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:40 pm

This guy is definitely not into sales, that's for sure. Luckily for him Plasmonic sounds great, because he's not selling it very well.
Intel Core i7-4930K@4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Arturia SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM | Studio One 4.6 | Reason 11.2 | Bitwig Studio 3.1 | Reaper 6 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.6 | ~1000 VSTs | ~300+ REs

simmo75
KVRAF
1800 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Re: New synths coming from Brian Clevinger

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:12 pm

starflakeprj wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:40 pm
This guy is definitely not into sales, that's for sure. Luckily for him Plasmonic sounds great, because he's not selling it very well.
And that GUI is poor! It does sound lovely though.
I hope the GUI is a mock up.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
19311 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:28 pm

That GUI is minimalistic, Valhalla-style. I doubt it'll change, but the benefit is that when it's all vector based like that, it's easily scalable - which is nice.

andrewbrewer
KVRist
54 posts since 5 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:49 pm

Oh wow that video got me hype! This is going to be unique

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9469 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:14 pm

28 days to go and only 37 backers. It's not looking good. I don't like the GUI at all, too much spreadsheet and not enough musical instrument. Not a fan of the sound in the demo video, either, very "digital" sounding, no oomph in the lower mids at all.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

THE INTRANCER
KVRian
1343 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:36 pm

It reminds me of this, which was an ugly looking and stressful game to play... (fun for 10 minutes, but then forever remained in the box, I only loaded it up to hear the cool music that loaded from the tape)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob0et-Q-bkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZQt9uIiWxQ
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

Russell Grand
KVRAF
2392 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:54 pm

I dig the minimalist GUI. Nice colors.

machinesworking
KVRAF
2067 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:35 pm

BONES wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:14 pm
28 days to go and only 37 backers. It's not looking good. I don't like the GUI at all, too much spreadsheet and not enough musical instrument. Not a fan of the sound in the demo video, either, very "digital" sounding, no oomph in the lower mids at all.
It's not a fundraiser where he won't release it, just an odd way to start the synth off with a discount. "This campaign will receive all funds raised even if it does not reach its funding goal."

I trust that Brian will do a good job, Absynth was pretty amazing for it's time. I never trust demo videos.

I mostly care about GUIs in regards to spacing, resizability etc. At least there are different colors. I've used Live on and off for years and it's awful monochromatic GUI can be an issue in that nothing looks different from anything else.

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3563 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:43 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:35 pm

I never trust demo videos.
This. And especially in this case. I really don't think the video helped Plasmonic. Still curious to hear and try once the official and final product is ready. Until then, I'm neutral.
Last edited by Neon Breath on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zvenx
KVRAF
7378 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:57 pm

i too am not a fan of the GUI, but I find it very reminiscent of Absynth so I am going to guess that is indeed the GUI.
rsp
sound sculptist

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9469 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:23 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:35 pm
I mostly care about GUIs in regards to spacing, resizability etc. At least there are different colors. I've used Live on and off for years and it's awful monochromatic GUI can be an issue in that nothing looks different from anything else.
I expect a GUI to inspire me to want to use the product and this is the furthest thing from that. As for monochromatic GUIs, things like Live and Pigments use highlight colors to differentiate between different things, which I think works extremely well. The problem with Live's GUI is that the grey is too light and the highlight colours too pastel so they don't stand out as well as they do in Pigments' darker grey on strong colours.
Neon Breath wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:43 pm
This. And especially in this case. I really don't think the video helped Plasmonic. Still curious to hear and try once the official and final product is ready. Until then, I'm neutral.
You cannot possibly know this, it is nothing more than your confirmation bias overruling logic and common sense. This is a video designed to sell people on the product, if it doesn't sound as good as it possibly can, then the people making the product must be idiots.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

Return to “Instruments”