PLASMONIC - A new synth from Brian Clevinger

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Absynth Plasmonic

spunkmuffin wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:59 am I have some idea of what a waveguide is but what is a 'self-oscillating waveguide'? Is it like a speaker cone? Or maybe a vibrating tube...hmm
Waveguides have a feedback path. Push it up and it will explode (another word for self-oscillation...)

BBFG# wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:15 pm I had one professor postulate a belief that the first melodic instrument was probably the wind blowing through a hollow log.

:shrug:
The first instrument was the universe crashing without any noise into existence

Needs more bass
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

gunnar wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:44 am
BBFG# wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:15 pm I had one professor postulate a belief that the first melodic instrument was probably the wind blowing through a hollow log.

:shrug:
The first instrument was the universe crashing without any noise into existence
No. Before that.
But for this, the timing starts with the primates of humankind...

This guy is definitely not into sales, that's for sure. Luckily for him Plasmonic sounds great, because he's not selling it very well.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:40 pm
This guy is definitely not into sales, that's for sure. Luckily for him Plasmonic sounds great, because he's not selling it very well.
And that GUI is poor! It does sound lovely though.
I hope the GUI is a mock up.

That GUI is minimalistic, Valhalla-style. I doubt it'll change, but the benefit is that when it's all vector based like that, it's easily scalable - which is nice.

Oh wow that video got me hype! This is going to be unique

28 days to go and only 37 backers. It's not looking good. I don't like the GUI at all, too much spreadsheet and not enough musical instrument. Not a fan of the sound in the demo video, either, very "digital" sounding, no oomph in the lower mids at all.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

It reminds me of this, which was an ugly looking and stressful game to play... (fun for 10 minutes, but then forever remained in the box, I only loaded it up to hear the cool music that loaded from the tape)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob0et-Q-bkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZQt9uIiWxQ
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I dig the minimalist GUI. Nice colors.

BONES wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:14 am 28 days to go and only 37 backers. It's not looking good. I don't like the GUI at all, too much spreadsheet and not enough musical instrument. Not a fan of the sound in the demo video, either, very "digital" sounding, no oomph in the lower mids at all.
It's not a fundraiser where he won't release it, just an odd way to start the synth off with a discount. "This campaign will receive all funds raised even if it does not reach its funding goal."

I trust that Brian will do a good job, Absynth was pretty amazing for it's time. I never trust demo videos.

I mostly care about GUIs in regards to spacing, resizability etc. At least there are different colors. I've used Live on and off for years and it's awful monochromatic GUI can be an issue in that nothing looks different from anything else.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:35 am
I never trust demo videos.
This. And especially in this case. I really don't think the video helped Plasmonic. Still curious to hear and try once the official and final product is ready. Until then, I'm neutral.
Last edited by Neon Breath on Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

i too am not a fan of the GUI, but I find it very reminiscent of Absynth so I am going to guess that is indeed the GUI.
rsp
sound sculptist

machinesworking wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:35 amI mostly care about GUIs in regards to spacing, resizability etc. At least there are different colors. I've used Live on and off for years and it's awful monochromatic GUI can be an issue in that nothing looks different from anything else.
I expect a GUI to inspire me to want to use the product and this is the furthest thing from that. As for monochromatic GUIs, things like Live and Pigments use highlight colors to differentiate between different things, which I think works extremely well. The problem with Live's GUI is that the grey is too light and the highlight colours too pastel so they don't stand out as well as they do in Pigments' darker grey on strong colours.
Neon Breath wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:43 amThis. And especially in this case. I really don't think the video helped Plasmonic. Still curious to hear and try once the official and final product is ready. Until then, I'm neutral.
You cannot possibly know this, it is nothing more than your confirmation bias overruling logic and common sense. This is a video designed to sell people on the product, if it doesn't sound as good as it possibly can, then the people making the product must be idiots.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”