Focusrite Plugin Collective

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Exponential Audio: R2

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:56 am ^^^
Thanks for the info.
Will going to the site Incognito be helpful?
Usually somewhat but not always. Also turn of tracking protection in your browser as not all browser turn it on by default. And if you want to be a really rebellious install Ghostery for your browser.
No signature here!

@Kalamata Kid: No not really. Honestly, other than for your own personal user account, they are not really tracking you as an individual. It's all google analytics for marketing data. Trends and consumer stuff, what's popular on the West Coast? Where is the most Pro Grade equipment being sold? Etc. Very useful info for a big multi-national operation.

Sadly, these are the times we live in. Demographics are big business, pretty much inescapable for most everyone.

I just looked. There are no Google cookies set by the Focusrite site. Their analytics seems to be based on Hotjar, which means the data isn't being fed back to Google at all. And the main cookies that are set are just session cookies for managing logins. KVR, on the other hand, does set Google cookies - that's how the ads get served. Plus KVR uses Google analytics (but apparently that's not a problem whereas Focusrite putting up a message is, go figure).

The only reason people in the US are seeing more of these messages is because a Californian equivalent of the GDPR came into force on the 1st January this year.

Dang, the survey still loads/submits but looks like they stopped issuing the discount. I only see the Forusrite voucher in my account after filling out the survey. Was looking to snag Mastercheck for $50, oh well.

I managed to sneak the survey voucher in, so upgraded Monofilter and got SEQ-ST for £6! I would never have bought them otherwise, so good deal all round and DDMF StereooeretS may finally have some competition
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

nonstatic wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:01 pm Dang, the survey still loads/submits but looks like they stopped issuing the discount. I only see the Forusrite voucher in my account after filling out the survey. Was looking to snag Mastercheck for $50, oh well.
If you are logged in, put Mastercheck in your cart. Change the pricing to £ and go to the end of the survey and click the submit button to get your discount. Go back to your cart and see if it was applied.

I would find it unlikely that the discount I got late last night was disabled in the intervening 12 hours on a Saturday. It looked like they pass the coupon in the URL of your cart request, so you can actually see it applied if you look at the location bar in your browser.

I clicked over from Focusrite and created a Nugen account. The $100 voucher was in my account, and was applied whenever my cart exceeded $100. Moved things in and out of the cart. Messed with the currency options. Kept the currency of my cart to GBP (pricing is better) where the Focusrite voucher showed an £80 discount. Removed everything and added the Focus bundle. Found the survey and filled it out all the way to the end and clicked the button to apply it. I never looked to see whether it went into my account, but when I went to my cart, the survey discount clearly had been applied. I actually had left open an old cart in a different browser tab where I could see the evidence plainly. I don't know if it was the having the item in my cart already or pricing in £ that triggered application of the survey coupon for me, but I suspect one of the two conditions or perhaps both.

How is NUGEN stuff compared to (for example) iZotope?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:57 am Such notices are increasingly becoming popular. I usually click away from such sites.
Did any one else get this notice? How did you handle it?
I agree that, as others have pointed out, the reason you are seeing the click-through is because of changes to California state law that obligate more privacy disclosures. Even though you are not in California. I would suspect that Focusrite has not changed any behavior at all in the past year except to obligate USAian visitors to acknowledge their data gathering. They already had to do business in Europe where digital privacy standards are much higher, so would have likely performed internal auditing of their data gathering and storage when GDPR went live.

How I handle these is to click and dismiss them mindlessly. :) In exchange for getting discounts and freebies from Focusrite and their partners, I am providing them with my data. I've already volunteered private information willingly in exchange and I've already provided much more detailed personal information to Focusrite by registering my device than they can possibly get from my online behavior. I am OK with this exchange as it is above-board and I know what I am giving and what I am getting back. I could have filled out the Nugen survey with junk responses and gotten the same discount, but I filled it out honestly. They were quite clear about here is how you can help us and in exchange here is a coupon. I would be acting in bad faith to take their discount and not share an honest survey.

However, I also use uBlock, Ghostery, UTM strippers and various other client-side measures to interrupt the ability of every website to track me. This is within my rights, in fact I find it obligatory. I also use multiple browsers and devices to further interrupt their ability to track me. Also I don't login to Google or Facebook ... those two are by far the worst of the surveillance capitalists and have invested heavily in their ability to track you across devices. I would conclude by saying that if you use an effective ad blocker you will mostly neuter the common behavior, because why they track you is because they want to serve you ads particular to your current situation that they can charge the advertisers more for because they are "targeted".

^^^
Thanks to you and all that offered your knowledge.
Your info is very helpful.

Recently I had seen
Shoshana Zuboff on surveillance capitalism | VPRO Documentary
youtube.com/watch?v=hIXhnWUmMvw&t=2127s
and so had become a bit concerned about privacy.

kidslow wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:26 pm If you are logged in, put Mastercheck in your cart. Change the pricing to £ and go to the end of the survey and click the submit button to get your discount. Go back to your cart and see if it was applied.
Didn't work unfortunately. Thanks for the currency tip, though, that is a bit cheaper. I'll hold out and see if they have another Mastercheck sale before the end of March when my Focusrite discount expires. :pray:

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:45 pm How is NUGEN stuff compared to (for example) iZotope?
I prefer iZotope to NUGEN.

That's Novation Sound Collective though. This is the Focusrite Plugin Collective thread. :D

If Google couldnt make a profit from you there would be no Google
Amazon: why not use an alternative

We've teamed up with Mastering The Mix to bring you the full dynamic harmonic distortion effect IGNITE, plus a six-month unrestricted trial version of the BASSROOM mastering EQ for free.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Effects”