ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

Some people don't seem to get the point...

If reFX can just delete and rename presets, or completely change the way presets sound, this would make N3 a completely unreliable plugin to use in our projects.
If you make a great sounding song today using N3, there's a chance that if you open the project in your DAW in a few years, some of the sounds will be removed or renamed so they can't be found, or just sound completely different. Suddenly your great song sounds like crap because reFX decided to make some changes.

Reefius wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:40 pm Some people don't seem to get the point...

If reFX can just delete and rename presets, or completely change the way presets sound, this would make N3 a completely unreliable plugin to use in our projects.
If you make a great sounding song today using N3, there's a chance that if you open the project in your DAW in a few years, some of the sounds will be removed or renamed so they can't be found, or just sound completely different. Suddenly your great song sounds like crap because reFX decided to make some changes.
I get that has a theoretical concern, but as yet I haven't heard of anything that doesn't apply to that freebie expansion which was ill-conceived from the outset and a copyright nightmare. They only had to change them because they thought it would be fun to do versions of famous tunes, which is touchingly naive shall we say. AFAIK this doesn't apply to anything else and indeed nothing else has ever been changed, and as long as that remains the case I'm not too bothered.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Ryan99 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:16 pm
Reefius wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:41 pm
msvs wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:32 pm it always were around 40! nothing has been removed. The 86 are the duplicates due to the renaming. It was a free fun xp from the xmas calendar!
And what about the fact that a lot of those 'renamed' presets now sound completely different? For example: the Axel F SQ preset used to sound nearly exactly the same as the original Axel F theme, now the bassline is just one note.
You can always ask for a refund of the freebie...
It used to be a paid expansion iirc

Two words: backwards compatible.

If you change just ONE preset, the above is no longer true. It really IS just that easy.

We were promised that. As I said before, I have projects that come up as using an "older" version of Nexus 2 for that patch...please save using a newer version of Nexus 2. So I went for it. I bit it off and reinstalled Nexus 2. Loaded the project and resaved...then reinstalled Nexus 3. Guess what? Same issue...a patch I used was using an OLDER version of Nexus 2...please save using a newer version of Nexus 2.

So...whatever. I went to the awesome piece of software that is Reveal Spire and found a fitting sound. Much better than the original mixdown. Guess I should be thanking them, ha.

Hello everyone.

I have read through many posts in this thread (there are a lot), but I dont think that I have seen this information clarified/condensed/summarized there, so I need your help.

I have purchsed N3 but am hesitant to upgrade.

I have a lot of purchased expansions (60), downloaded free presets and purchased third-party preset packs (3000 presets), have tweaked and saved many presets myself (300) and have created my own TG and ARP presets.

I have no idea what will happen if I upgrade to N3, but to be honest I fear that a lot of these custom things and tweaks will just disappear or not work, which I am not interested in.

Can you please help me clarify what will happen to these if I upgrade as of today January 12 2020 (this will also be very useful for anyone else looking to upgrade):

- My own tweaked and saved presets (.fxp files in \Nexus2\Nexus Content\Presets)
- My own ARP presets (.nap files in \Nexus2\Nexus Content\ARP Presets)
- My own TG presets (.ntp files in \Nexus2\Nexus Content\TG Presets)
- My own created library favorites ("Favorites: xyz")
- My own created library searches ("Search: xyz")
- Third-party preset packs (.fxp files in \Nexus2\Nexus Content\Presets)
- Downloaded free presets (.fxp files in \Nexus2\Nexus Content\Presets)

Furthermore, will the N3 (refx cloud) completely wipe the Nexus2 installation including the \Nexus2\Nexus Content folders (so that Nexus2 will not work after)? If so, is there a workaround that will keep Nexus2 running after the N3 installation, perhaps with Nexus2 using a completely separate area than where N3 keeps it content.

Finally, are there any tips, tricks, workarounds or caveats that you found should be known when you upgraded?

Many thanks. I am very confused about this and dont think refx support has done an especially good job explaining exactly what will happen to all our Nexus 2 stuff if you upgrade. It is as if they had "blinkers" on and only thought about matching the existing officially installed Nexus2 expansions 1:1, forgetting about the rest of the custom stuff.

antifrost wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:22 pm Stuff...
I have a couple of gotchas you'll have to take care of if you upgrade;

1 ) Delete your tv movie expansion content and preset folders and re-install.
2 ) Delete your 7 skies content and preset folders.

Both of these are due to the cloud app generally being a bit shit and creating duplicates and not deleting the files that aren't needed anymore.

antifrost wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:22 pm Can you please help me clarify what will happen to these if I upgrade as of today January 12 2020
Hi there!

I have upgraded from Nexus 2 to Nexus 3. There are some things I know and some I don't.

All preset files (Arp, TG, .fxp, 3rdparty packs) and folders still remain in the same location. refx cloud will only overwrite expansion files. So back everything up before you download if you are concerned about any changes in expansion folders they may have made. (There is a lot of talk about the game and tv expansion changing, but not exactly sure how.)

Nexus 3 reads and uses all your preset content just fine still. Except for (in my case) most of the custom or 3rd party presets. I had to open all the custom presets in Nexus 2 and re-save them all individually. (A tedious task). Then they would work in Nexus 3. It wasn't all of the custom presets, but most of them were like this.

I have heard from others that favorites and saved searches do not transfer over. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I never really had any so I wasn't concerned about them.

In Nexus 3 all custom sounds, Arps, TGs, etc are now saved in the cloud. So they will not generate a new file in your content folder. I was wondering this so I could make sure to back them up. But there is now no need to.

Maybe others can speak to nexus 3 opening projects that had nexus 2, as I haven't tried yet.

Hope that helps!

commodore wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:47 pm .....
I have heard from others that favorites and saved searches do not transfer over. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I never really had any so I wasn't concerned about them.

That has been my experience too, and I made both. I don't missed the saved searches as the new tags achieve the same (and better) goals for me.
However I do miss the favourites.
rsp
sound sculptist

Guys, thanks for your help so far.

Damnit, I am starting to regret that I purchased the upgrade.

All I wanted was for all my stuff to work as in Nexus2, but with a better Librarian function and bigger GUI.

I have over 300 self-customized presets and cannot even begin to consider to load+save all of those.

And the prospect of having 3000 third-party presets maybe not working after the upgrade is a big turn off.

any info wheter Nexus3 works with Windows7?
Finally!

Anyone know if there is a demo available?

cyphersuit wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:42 pm any info wheter Nexus3 works with Windows7?
I doubt that:
PC minimum system requirements
VST, VST3 or AAX host software
Pentium class 2.0 GHz processor with SSE3 support
8GB of RAM (16GB or more highly recommended)
Display with 1024-by-768 or higher resolution
Windows 8 and Windows 10
Internet connection to download license
64-bit only

it works fine with Windows 7!

msvs wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:41 pm it works fine with Windows 7!
To clarify, Nexus works on Windows 7, however it requires TLS 1.2 to connect to the Nexus website. This protocol wasn't enabled in early versions of Windows 7. You need to install the update that enables it or manually enable it yourself.

Also note, Windows 7 went end of life as of 14 January 2020 and Microsoft is no longer supporting it.

Windows 7 went end of life as of 14 January 2020 and Microsoft is no longer supporting it.
True. However Microsoft offers an extended support for Win7 Professional till 2023. It costs around $70 per year. I am thinking about getting it.
The current market share of win7 is still 25%.
Many musicians will still stick with Win7 for a longer time because they own expensive and exotic hardware which is not supported by newer win versions.

Return to “Instruments”