IS FM synthesis your goto?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:07 am Jesus H. Christ on a bike! That big fat pad that comes in at 1:07 you would swear was a V/A with tons of unison. It sounds very out of place with the rest of the piece, though. I had dismissed Digitone out of hand because it's an FM synth but since I've been getting into Aparillo, I may have to give it another look.
I don't hear anything new coming in at 1:07, so I am not sure which sound you mean, I don't hear any fat pad in that video, frankly.

Regarding the title, no, FM is my run-from :hihi:
Last edited by e-crooner on Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

There are a lot of old threads being brought back from the dead today for some reason. :o

e-crooner wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:34 pm ...I don't hear any fat pad in that video, frankly.
I'm pretty sure the boner is talking about the heavily-distorted pad that comes in around 1:02, not 1:07. But I have to agree. Fat pad? Meh...

Russell Grand wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:08 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:34 pm ...I don't hear any fat pad in that video, frankly.
I'm pretty sure the boner is talking about the heavily-distorted pad that comes in around 1:02, not 1:07. But I have to agree. Fat pad? Meh...
Personally, to me a pad is a chord sound. I know some people consider milder mono leads pads as well, but I don't.

I like DX7 V and Nemesis. I also have Toxic Biohazard, but I don't use it much.

I had a hardware DX 21 back in the day which didn't sound as great as a DX7, but that's all I could afford at the time.

Didn't you wrote

It sounds very out of place with the rest of the piece, though. I had dismissed Digitone out of hand because it's an FM synth

end quote

So what exactly does that mean ?

[mod edit: removed quoted slappyfight]
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Yes, goodness me, I'm not a closed minded fucktard, I am actually able to alter my opinion when confronted with new evidence. Shock! Horror! That said, having looked a little more into Digitone, it seems I was right in the first place. It is far more DX-7 than it is Toxic or Aparillo. It seems that it works with Overbridge, so it mightn't be too much of a nightmare if used with your computer but I never really got into the algorithm thing. It's not a very intuitive/artistic way of working.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 am Yes, goodness me, I'm not a closed minded fucktard, I am actually able to alter my opinion when confronted with new evidence. Shock! Horror! That said, having looked a little more into Digitone, it seems I was right in the first place. It is far more DX-7 than it is Toxic or Aparillo. It seems that it works with Overbridge, so it mightn't be too much of a nightmare if used with your computer but I never really got into the algorithm thing. It's not a very intuitive/artistic way of working.
SO you admit you can change your opinion when confronted with new evidence , my point was that you're mostly posting and shouting your opinion in a bonesque manner without this new evidence .
Admitting you have no experience with FM algoritms is just proving my point .
Now it 's about fm , previous examples were about "just a delay 'etc...the list goes on and on
No hard feelings :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

e-crooner wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:34 pm
BONES wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:07 am Jesus H. Christ on a bike! That big fat pad that comes in at 1:07 you would swear was a V/A with tons of unison. It sounds very out of place with the rest of the piece, though. I had dismissed Digitone out of hand because it's an FM synth but since I've been getting into Aparillo, I may have to give it another look.
I don't hear anything new coming in at 1:07, so I am not sure which sound you mean, I don't hear any fat pad in that video, frankly.

You're clearly deaf then. :roll:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:30 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:34 pm

You're clearly deaf then. :roll:
I don't think I am the only one...
Russell Grand wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:08 pm

FM is important. I usually start writing a song with an FM EP, a piano sample, or a subtractive 80s style keyboard sound.

Remind me never to listen to any of your music. No offense but I really hate EP sounds.
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:50 pm my point was that you're mostly posting and shouting your opinion in a bonesque manner without this new evidence .
I don't need to shout to be heard.
Admitting you have no experience with FM algoritms is just proving my point .
Except for the DX-9 I owned for several years, which would be several years of experience with FM algorithms, probably while you were still wearing nappies (diapers). Not an experience I am keen to repeat, especially having been spoiled with better ways of doing FM. But a delay is still just a delay, one is just as useful as another.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Personal insults belong some other place, not at KVR. Don't screw up a good discussion, please. Not singling out anyone, the same rule applies to all.

Your post doesn't help, either, you know. If people want to have a go at me, personally, I really don't give a krap. It's not like there are too many people around here whose opinion is worth anything and it says a lot more about them than it does about me (something they clearly fail to grasp). What's more annoying is that I have to keep restating facts all the bloody time - that's the 3rd time I've mentioned that I owned a DX-9 in just a few days.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:38 pm For certain sounds, like bells, certain types of keys, etc. yes. But for the most part, no. I find the FM sound too harsh and/or sterile. I almost never go for an FM pad over an analog one. Leads? Sometimes, but not often.

Basically, not an FM fan, which is why I have only one FM based plugin (FM8) and have never made a library for an FM synth.
FM is not FM. Every FM Synth I have tried has different Options and also sounded different.

DX7 vs SY77 or MODX is no Comarison and FM8 sounds horrible if you ask me. Pure Harshness. And don´t forget that Bazille is FM, too : :hihi:

DUNE3 vs Zebra is no Comparison either.
ZEBRA is superior concerning Capabilities, but it sounds hard/harsh and the FM Amount is generally higher, even with low Values for the Amount. It sounds completely different. As I have discovered lately DUNEs FM is much softer and can be used "subtle". Conclusion: same Parameters does not mean same Results. Sometimes they may be shocking different!

Note: FM is not just about Bells and E-Pianos. It all depends on the Synth and the People behind it.
Listen to the wonderful Sounds of Yamaha SY 77, MODX or Montage. There are really impressive FM Pads out there... (Remark: they also use AWM = Sampling Technology).

I´d strongly recommend to get a Feeling for the big Variety of different Synths and the different Results. I have experienced that the ones with the greatest Value and Possibilities are usually not the ones that make the best Sounds. It´s more about the Sound than the Possibilities. Some Synths with - theoretically - endless Possibilities failed my Tests quickly, because they were true EDM Monsters incapable of softer Spectrums. The Demos and Patches are are quiet god Indicators as I have discovered. Only EDM/Trance Sound, Loudness and lots of Modulation? > probably a Flop if you like Clariry, Sweetness and ... Love Songs ;-)

A little Example / Demo of a nice soft Pad I have made without in depth Knowledge of FM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvr8x9tJ-ms

I tried to reproduce it with Zebra 2 and didn´t even get close. The same 3 OP Setup in Zebra sounded horrible, because the FM Amount in Zebra was higher with a Setting of 2 already. ZEB has a completely different Implememtation of FM. To say it positive: ZEB seems better for "consistant" Sounds, but its FM is simply horrible if you are looking for Softness.

Return to “Instruments”