Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
rmacattack
KVRist
41 posts since 20 May, 2019

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:02 am

fmr wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:57 am
jonljacobi wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:46 am
It also seems to have decent editing. I didn't see anything beyond that. It's not Bitwig/FLS/Live, if that's what you're referring to in terms of creative. It's meant to compete with Pro Tools.
Did I read well? - "It's not Bitwig/FLS/Live"... "It's meant to compete with Pro Tools". :lol:

So you are placing Pro Tools below Bitwig/FLS/Live? :hihi:

Are you sure it can compete with Pro Tools in terms of editing features? :o
So pretty much they are targeting the older engineers with this release. Bitwig/Fl right now is what the younger generation is using. It's 2020, and not 2002. I've actually heard better mixes and more better songs produced by some users that have Fl and not Pro Tools and a UAD set-up to honest. This is from a fan perspective for listening to music.

jonljacobi
KVRian
1359 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:15 am

No. I'm not valuing one DAW above any of the others. Pro Tools is great for what it is.

Rmacattack. UAD is targeting the recording audience, which is still huge, and will continue to be huge. You can produce good music with any of these tools, or a frickin' phone or a harmonica for that matter so what exactly is your point? And why should it even matter to you? Age? Date? Seriously? Did you see the people in the demo?

Or are you just being tribal and throwing rocks at the stranger because it makes you feel better about yourself?

Passing Bye
KVRian
1090 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:18 pm

With the right endorsements and marketing, this thing can become the next "wannabe pro" thing, it got all the right "you are special" ingredients, Mac only, iLok, UAD DSP plugins and card (basically 3 dongles), especially with new Mac Pro, but rack edition, instant pro.
Googly Smythe wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:39 am
Somedays it seems like we're not allowed to dislike anything.

Kaya Orsan
KVRer
10 posts since 15 Oct, 2018

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:48 pm

.........
Last edited by Kaya Orsan on Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonljacobi
KVRian
1359 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:37 pm

Where did you hear, read, or see iLok?

v1o
KVRAF
2072 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:48 pm

dellboy wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:00 am
jonljacobi wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:09 am
I think Jo just changed the name to Mulab.
Ah, yes, it was "Muzys" that disappeared and later re-surfaced in a new incarnation as "LUNA" .

And now UAD has bought out a new "LUNA" which is nothing to do with the DAW which used to be called "LUNA".

And by the way, I have just found an old 2007 CD with "LUNA free" on it which in turn is nothing to do with the brand new 2020 UAD "LUNA free" :hihi:
What’s the story behind Muzys?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Passing Bye
KVRian
1090 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:50 pm

UA is doing it right, they learned from the past, Avid pushed their own cards, physical dongle, but it was on Windows, so less special, than Apple made Logic Mac only, physical dongle, but left people use cards they want, than Logic removes physical dongle, Pro Tools give people chance to use with 3rd party cards, Logic removes copy protection, Avid ditches physical dongle, even Steinberg announces that, but it’s Windows app too so lost special points long time ago, so it’s all kinda progressing, but UA took good look back and now this is the most special proprietary DAW ever made!
Googly Smythe wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:39 am
Somedays it seems like we're not allowed to dislike anything.

beatmangler443
KVRist
413 posts since 11 Jun, 2013

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:12 pm

Seems cool. Would like to see more demonstrations from customers from different genre's of music personally.

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
9162 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:51 am

Passing Bye wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:50 pm
UA is doing it right, they learned from the past, Avid pushed their own cards, physical dongle, but it was on Windows, so less special, than Apple made Logic Mac only, physical dongle, but left people use cards they want, than Logic removes physical dongle, Pro Tools give people chance to use with 3rd party cards, Logic removes copy protection, Avid ditches physical dongle, even Steinberg announces that, but it’s Windows app too so lost special points long time ago, so it’s all kinda progressing, but UA took good look back and now this is the most special proprietary DAW ever made!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

dellboy
KVRian
1156 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:00 am

v1o wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:48 pm

What’s the story behind Muzys?
It was 18 years ago so my memory may well be faulty and perhaps someone else could put the story right for me.

In 2002 Muon-Software developed a new DAW called " Muzys" which was $125.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/muzys_by_muzys

A free version was also made and came with Computer music magazine. We all got exited about it and started using it until one day the website disappeared. A few years later Jo Langie announced a new comapany called "Mutools" and a new DAW called "LUNA" which later changed its name to Mulab.

The original "Muzys" which was developed also by Jo Langie had similarities to todays "Mulab".

A search around the interwebs pulled up a Computer Music mag that featured Muzys on the front cover. And a further search (internet archive) found Computer Music CM55 of January 2003 with a downloadable ISO with Computer Muzys with it. I downloaded and mounted the ISO and installed Muzys on Windows 10 and it worked ok .

I have not linked to the ISO as I am not sure of the legality of that site but a search for "Computer Muzys" should find it.

My apologies if any of my facts are incorrect.

burnt circuit
KVRist
92 posts since 15 Jan, 2020

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:43 am

Passing Bye wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:18 pm
With the right endorsements and marketing, this thing can become the next "wannabe pro" thing, it got all the right "you are special" ingredients, Mac only, iLok, UAD DSP plugins and card (basically 3 dongles), especially with new Mac Pro, but rack edition, instant pro.
I wonder what their bank statements and total debt looks like, let's take a gander at their credit card balance. Pretty small in comparison to their student loans. Throw in some subscription based software rentals and their set for life. At least they'll look the part and maybe impress some naive clients along the way. Or they can just be fooling themselves...
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

User avatar
Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
3217 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:09 am

fedexnman wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:13 pm
Looks like it was a tad bit nippy
Vid not available..

Passing Bye
KVRian
1090 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:32 am

burnt circuit wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:43 am
At least they'll look the part and maybe impress some naive clients along the way. Or they can just be fooling themselves...

Big part of this industry is built on deceiving and hype, truth is you don't need UAD, SSL, LA2A or anything they sell to make good sounding music or difference between different LA2A's is actually that big enough or that tool is needed at all, not many come to this conclusion and that's where industry is cashing in.

Universal Audio is like Apple of plugins, they are making it out that you are buying something exclusive and best, in the age of strong CPU's and native offerings, they are still convincing people that they need UAD, that's how good UA is, same as Apple in their own way.

Luna is perfect thing, wait for it little more and endorsers will make perfect sense why it makes perfect sense, than you will start thinking, well I need new interface, Arrow/Apollo seems nice, Waves sucks anyways, I'm not gonna buy new machine, gonna invest more in UAD and it will offload my resources, Luna seems so integrated with everything and bam, you are defending Luna on this same board. Do you actually need Neve summing, who cares, it sound's better than not having it, worth every dime, how could you live without it, everyone else is jealous of you.

There's slim chance UA can fail with this, I hope they never release Windows version and ensures nobody can crack it, than you will see next most exclusive audio tool since Fairlight, whole fashion and other industries is built on this business model, it can't fail, it's perfect.
Googly Smythe wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:39 am
Somedays it seems like we're not allowed to dislike anything.

User avatar
CrystalWizard
KVRian
1008 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbit Sol III

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:10 am

LUNAcy
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

jonljacobi
KVRian
1359 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:35 pm

CrystalWizard wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:10 am
LUNAcy
LOL.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”