High DPI Plug In Support

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
monkeymanx
KVRian
716 posts since 12 Aug, 2005

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:24 pm

Having recently upgraded to a large 4K monitor I've noticed that some of my plug ins do not support High DPI mode within Cubase. Some do and look great. Even some of the smaller developers support it like Klanghelm with proper scaling. I just updated my Eventide plugins and they are fine now too. Izotope plug ins are glitchy and unusable in high DPI mode. Slate plugs don't support it either.

So, is this something that is low on a developer's list of things to do? I feel like we are moving into the age of higher resolution screens. The stuff that properly scales looks great. Games look excellent as well.

Also this seems to be a Windows only issue as OS X seems to have been properly scaling for some time since they introduced their retina screens.

rageix
KVRist
97 posts since 9 Jun, 2018

Re: High DPI Plug In Support

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Welcome to the club man. What you will notice is that 4k screens are second class citizens in the audio world and although some developers do properly support them, many still don't. 4K screens are still the minority unfortunately even though more and more new computers come with these screen resolutions.

I would advise dumping Cubase and move to Bitwig or Ableton which will properly scale your old plugins to a usable size, they'll be pixelated and blurry but a proper size to work with. Bitwig is slightly better than Ableton in this regard but generally speaking both are a good pick that properly handle this. You could ask Cubase or the individual plugin developers to fix this issue, but in my experience it is not worth your time (some will most wont). Just move on and give your money to a DAW developer that can get it done or move to plugins that actually support high dpi screens.

monkeymanx
KVRian

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:45 am

Dang, I was hoping their wasn't a club for this hahaha. Oh well. I'm kind of stuck with Cubase as I've been using it for about 15 years now. I have been able to use other hosts decently but Cubase is home for me. I've tried Studio One a bunch of times (recently even and is now for sale in the marketplace) and that had the closest feel to Cubase.

I've been thinking about just using mostly stock plugs within Cubase as pretty much all properly scale. I've probably been taking for granted just how good the stock plugs are within Cubase as I took a couple for a test run on some drum tracks and pretty much all my bases were covered.

It just seems odd that small time single run operations support High DPI but then some big name developer doesn't.

Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
5737 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:41 am

Yeah, there is a club for this. And it’s weirdly small...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

midi_transmission
KVRist
392 posts since 13 Feb, 2013

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:33 am

There is no hope. I bet this will be a problem in the next 10 years in Windows.

You can only use a DAW which looks really good with scaling - not all which say they support it do it without flaws - and use only plugins which work great with HIDPI. Or you have to use integer scaling like 200% in Windows. This works great for every DAW and every plugin. But then you have space like at 1920x1080 on a 4k.

The real problem is this damn 4k idea for computer screens. It's too low for integer scaling on large displays. Apple knows why the use higher resolution screens.

monkeymanx
KVRian

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:41 am

I have a 55" OLED screen and run UHD at 175% scaling. If I set it to 200% scaling, plugins still don't look great when not running in high DPI mode.

midi_transmission
KVRist

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:30 am

Do just plugins doesn't look great? Have you restarted Windows after the change? Usually all old programs look exactly like at 100% just two times in size, but with smaller pixels this is not a problem.

I experimented a lot and never had problems at 200% with older applications. Zero blur, just two times in size. But I don't know Cubase, maybe you must enable some HIDPI mode or something that plugins are scaled by Windows and not by Cubase.

midi_transmission
KVRist

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:39 am

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... Windows-10

"3rd party plug-ins need to support HiDPI on their own, else they may appear small and/or with a truncated user interface"

Not sure if I understand it correctly. But this sound really bad. The hosts I tried just scale the plugins at the Windows scaling setting. So with 200% it's two time as big as with 100% but perfectly sharp.

By the way. According to the link Cubase is always scaled to 200% starting at 150% scaling in Windows. Like I said, this makes sense as it's working great for older application.

monkeymanx
KVRian

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:43 am

For me when not in high DPI mode the text and stuff doesn’t look great. I wasn’t aware it actually locked to 200 percent. Looks like I have more screen real estate at 175%. I will have to test it later.

Return to “Effects”