video editing software similar to a daw

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I demoed a lot of video NLE's on Windows and none of them were as real time as Vegas across the board, workflow wise. I suppose it probably owes that to starting out as an audio editor but all of the ones I tried have some operation(s) that causes playback to stop, like Adobe Premiere stops playback every time you save a project or change an edit view.

It's pretty annoying when you're used to working non-stop doing anything and everything while the project is continually playing. Even though many of them had features that I really liked, that one thing keeps me on Vegas.

Since I'm using DaVinci Resolve on pretty much daily basis here are couple pointers to make it more stable

- Nvidia cards - you need to install Studio driver version 431.86 or 441.66 (these versions only!)
- Use SDD drive for storing your project files, ideally don't use the same drive as your OS
- I'd suggest using proxy files when using Free version of Resolve (Studio version is better optimized towards GPU usage) - here is example how to do it: https://youtu.be/WWrkL23EdpA
- Memory - when I had 8GB of Memory I could easily crash Resolve - it likes to have more memory available especially when adding video transitions, effects and color correction. Clean up your memory and use proxy files if you can't easily buy more memory for your computer
- Even though Fairlight (their sound design module) is quite robust I would limit number of VSTs (you really don't need 4x different EQs and compressors there)

Lastly enable autosave just for the sake of not loosing your work - https://jayaretv.com/blogs/lesson/how-t ... resolve-15
Last edited by blizzard on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
resistance is futile. Check my latest mix: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=532758

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:48 pm Did you try a paid version? I think its the same code... Your problems might have a different reason and that the paid version seams more stable might be because professionals are used to more professional computers set ups??? Just guessing...
Wow, that's patronising.

It crashed with a single 4k video loaded up with a single colour correction on the go....

And no, why would I pay for something that crashed every single time I used it? :dog:

There are widespread reports (you look, I can't be bothered) of it crashing. Two 'amateur' pals of mine had exactly the same experiences too, and my 'amateur' computer manages to run everything else I throw at it without crashing. Actually, both my 'amateur' computers (PC and Mac) do.

Sorry for the double post but wanted to touch on the OP question from the first post. DaVinci Resolve is better suited for post production. Not sure why you would like to live record in Video editor. For live streams it would be better to use something like OBS Studio and internally route the audio from some DAW. Obviously you will introduce latency but in OBS you can apply Video Delay (Async) filter to 'Video Capture Device' source to keep everything in sync.

I mostly use Studio One for recording audio for my DJ live sets, then lightly process the audio in S1 (compression, volume automation etc.) then stitch everything together in DaVinci Resolve with some added sound effects for intro and additional limiting to optimize for Youtube standards).

Here is the example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcugiQ3dyI

tehlord wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:12 pm It crashed with a single 4k video loaded up with a single colour correction on the go....

And no, why would I pay for something that crashed every single time I used it? :dog:
Free version is offering a lot but it is not really good to work with 4k. I had the same problem. Record everything in 1080p, switch to proxies (optimized media) or get the Studio version (still exceptional value in my opinion).

blizzard wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:30 pm
tehlord wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:12 pm It crashed with a single 4k video loaded up with a single colour correction on the go....

Free version is offering a lot but it is not really good to work with 4k. I had the same problem. Record everything in 1080p, switch to proxies (optimized media) or get the Studio version (still exceptional value in my opinion).
I do all my editing on a Mac anyway so there's zero benefit in me trying to get Resolve to work properly when I have FCPX sitting there just getting on with it. And I need 4k as I shoot top down video and often need to pan/zoom in post.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”