What synth do you actually USE the most in your own music????

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

w00t! ive heard of 3 of those :o

im not totally past it yet!!! :D

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:57 pm The important synth innovations have all been made a long time ago.

If the DX7 programmer is an expert, he or she could certainly make authentic Moog-like sounds on it. But I heard that synth was difficult to program and many people only used the presets because of that.

With me it is the other way round, I love the way music sounded in the 80's. And judging from the many comments under 80's videos, even from people who were not even born yet back then, there is something timeless about it.

Definitely, I also love a couple of instrumental tracks, which I indeed consider art. But EDM is just a very different drawer. Another genre overwhelmingly instrumental that I don't like is Smooth Jazz, it is also cheap, albeit it in another way.

I didn't say classical music has no soul, I said it sounds cold TO ME, no soul. Just like when you say it sounds amazing, it means TO YOU. It is my opinion and applies to 99% of classical music I have heard so far. There are a few romantic French pieces I like, though. But Mozart etc., no thanks.
that first sentence.... :roll:

also, no dx7 programmer can get an authentic moog sound out of that synth.

of course tho! opinions about music are always... opinions; nothing more (or less).

my first synth was a dx-7, complete with the tapes on how to program it
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

ok, it's not bad... (not definitive, but not bad). :tu:

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:07 am
The difference is that back then synths were something new, now they are omnipresent and thus nothing special anymore. Back then they did not have much choice indeed, now we do, which includes opting for synths that don't sound modern. Again, I don't want to appeal to young people today, but people of my generation. And we are perfectly fine with classic sounds.
There was a ton of choice "back then". Jesus man, the 80s had everything from pure analog, FM, additive, sample-based, etc. Arguably there was more choice then, not less.

rezoneight wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 pm
The difference is that back then synths were something new, now they are omnipresent and thus nothing special anymore. Back then they did not have much choice indeed, now we do, which includes opting for synths that don't sound modern. Again, I don't want to appeal to young people today, but people of my generation. And we are perfectly fine with classic sounds.
There was a ton of choice "back then". Jesus man, the 80s had everything from pure analog, FM, additive, sample-based, etc. Arguably there was more choice then, not less.
Depends, in the early 80's things were different from the late 80's.
My favorite albums were mostly from between 78 and 83.

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:57 pm The important synth innovations have all been made a long time ago.

If the DX7 programmer is an expert, he or she could certainly make authentic Moog-like sounds on it. But I heard that synth was difficult to program and many people only used the presets because of that.

With me it is the other way round, I love the way music sounded in the 80's. And judging from the many comments under 80's videos, even from people who were not even born yet back then, there is something timeless about it.

Definitely, I also love a couple of instrumental tracks, which I indeed consider art. But EDM is just a very different drawer. Another genre overwhelmingly instrumental that I don't like is Smooth Jazz, it is also cheap, albeit it in another way.

I didn't say classical music has no soul, I said it sounds cold TO ME, no soul. Just like when you say it sounds amazing, it means TO YOU. It is my opinion and applies to 99% of classical music I have heard so far. There are a few romantic French pieces I like, though. But Mozart etc., no thanks.
well judging by the comments below some EDM classics such as Alice Deejay, or Darude Sandstorm, there's something timeless about them as well. Does that give merit to EDM to you, since I drew a parallel with what you said about the 80s?

I personally do not like the whole classical era and most german classical music, french impressionism is where in the history my soft spot is at, and then some of the more recent history.

But that's beside the point. I don't think its fair to dismiss a genre based on a few brainless bangers you've came across, that's like judging the whole 70s on the Archies, or the whole 80s on "Hey Mickey!" or "We built this city on rock'n'roll"

Ploki wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:38 pm

well judging by the comments below some EDM classics such as Alice Deejay, or Darude Sandstorm, there's something timeless about them as well. Does that give merit to EDM to you, since I drew a parallel with what you said about the 80s?

I personally do not like the whole classical era and most german classical music, french impressionism is where in the history my soft spot is at, and then some of the more recent history.

But that's beside the point. I don't think its fair to dismiss a genre based on a few brainless bangers you've came across, that's like judging the whole 70s on the Archies, or the whole 80s on "Hey Mickey!" or "We built this city on rock'n'roll"
Just checked a few videos from the two names you mentioned, horrible stuff, can't listen to that for more than 10 seconds. It offends my ears.

Whether it is timeless, only time can tell. Let's wait 30 years and see if teens will leave comments on YT :D I will certainly be dead by then.

That's the problem, I don't know a single EDM song I like, so I all but have to generalize. It's like with Metal, I don't know any Metal song I like, so I simply reject the entire genre.

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:26 pm
rezoneight wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 pm
Depends, in the early 80's things were different from the late 80's.
My favorite albums were mostly from between 78 and 83.
No, it doesn't depend. You've got analog, FM, additive, sampling, and wavetable just in that range you're referring to.

Those things may have existed in 1980, but they were not widely used, yet.

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:57 pm It's like with Metal, I don't know any Metal song I like, so I simply reject the entire genre.
C'mon man, now you are killing me, try these at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fij9-suqRg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YRs5Dt9uRM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8PXXrCasE

Bonus, long live Sweden :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y25snz83ms

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:44 pm Those things may have existed in 1980, but they were not widely used, yet.
The Synclavier was an early digital synthesizer, polyphonic digital sampling system, and music workstation manufactured by New England Digital Corporation of Norwich, Vermont. It was produced in various forms from the late 1970s into the early 1990s. The instrument has been used by prominent musicians.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synclavier
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:59 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:57 pm It's like with Metal, I don't know any Metal song I like, so I simply reject the entire genre.
C'mon man, now you are killing me, try these at least
+1

The Axel Rudi Pell track you selected reminds me a bit of any of those awesome tracks by Hardline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afAyVmKq16Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpAwpQOVOB4

I like to include at least one track by Teutonic rockers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MveUwosb2Rw

or two: :hihi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u_8tba0jSI

Are we going off topic now?

Some metal genres do use synths. We could talk about that. :wink:
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”