Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Yes to releaae the srx cards as different vsts is plain stupid and only cash grabbing and tedious to work with.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

EnochLight wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:16 pm
joe_b wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:45 am So, does Roland feel the heat from the new Korg Triton Plugin yet? :)
What heat? Roland Cloud has dozens of classic Roland instruments. It took Korg ages to release * just * the Triton plugin. They’re so far behind it’s just silly.
Yeah, but the Triton sounds fantastic and covers lots of Roland territory - especially the 90/2ks Rompler part. All the Roland synth-Stuff is easily covered by other plugins, especially Jupiter and Juno have been emulated multiple times at least on par with Roland's takes.

Oh - and it's available for purchase without a subscription model.
Intro price is about one year of Roland subscription.

just sayin', Roland's got some serious competition - and imho there was (and maybe still is) desperate need for it.

newluc wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:13 pm I am a Roland Subsciber, but:

Sound canvas already done, so no new software
D50 code from boutique
Juno code from boutique
Jx3p code from boutique
Jupiter code from boutique
Sh101 code from boutique
Jv1080 Xv5080, simply romplers
Tb303 code from boutique
Promars, Sh2, system100, Mah...
And the ridicolous fact of the cards become vsts...
Korg has all the card in his vstis!

Roland has only to learn from korg!!!
This isn't really making any sense. You just listed a venerable truckload of Roland Cloud plugin instruments, and then go on to say that "Roland has only to learn from Korg"? :dog: :o

Where Korg is shining is in their hardware, IMHO. Though, the fact that I can load many of the Roland Cloud plugins as plugouts in a System 8 is pretty awesome. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

It make a sense really!!!
I am enough older (56) and I owned many Roland products since 1981, so I know What I say.
I am very sorry that Roland do his job in that mode, but I have so many song and many sounds done with Roland so I subscribed.
Simply.

newluc wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:27 pm It make a sense really!!!
I am enough older (56) and I owned many Roland products since 1981, so I know What I say.
I am very sorry that Roland do his job in that mode, but I have so many song and many sounds done with Roland so I subscribed.
Simply.
OK boomer, congratulations on making it to 56. Do you want a trophy?

That said, I think there is something being lost in translation. Someone suggested Korg's Triton plugin will now require Roland to step up their game. I'm saying that Roland has had their game stepped up for years with Roland Cloud already.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joe_b wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:45 am Yeah, but the Triton sounds fantastic and covers lots of Roland territory - especially the 90/2ks Rompler part. All the Roland synth-Stuff is easily covered by other plugins, especially Jupiter and Juno have been emulated multiple times at least on par with Roland's takes.

Oh - and it's available for purchase without a subscription model.
Intro price is about one year of Roland subscription.

just sayin', Roland's got some serious competition - and imho there was (and maybe still is) desperate need for it.
These are actually really good points. :party: :tu:

Hate to say it but I think roland modelling is ahead of korg. And when it comes to the legacy collection the Roland cloud interfaces are also much better. But the cloud stuff is a mess. As described in my other thread. I’m not sure about the triton, never really cared about that but I do have the rest of the legacy. Odyssey is great, the other analogs are ok. Not same level as Roland cloud. I would love to see Korg step it up with the other analog emulations.

No, i don't want a trophy.
Roland has done a wonderful thing to reissue his past synths, but Korg is more handful in this field.
His synths are well coded better than Roland, and sold not subscribed, and the way they managed the sound cards is better.
That said, two great brands, only better for hardware, not software, but they are learning.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:00 pm Hate to say it but I think roland modelling is ahead of korg. And when it comes to the legacy collection the Roland cloud interfaces are also much better. But the cloud stuff is a mess. As described in my other thread. I’m not sure about the triton, never really cared about that but I do have the rest of the legacy. Odyssey is great, the other analogs are ok. Not same level as Roland cloud. I would love to see Korg step it up with the other analog emulations.
Of course korg are sensible about including all expansions in stuff like the wavestation, triton and m1. Roland making separate plugins is a perfect example of how greed is getting in the way of common sense and what would obviously be better for users.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:00 pm Hate to say it but I think roland modelling is ahead of korg. And when it comes to the legacy collection the Roland cloud interfaces are also much better. But the cloud stuff is a mess. As described in my other thread. I’m not sure about the triton, never really cared about that but I do have the rest of the legacy. Odyssey is great, the other analogs are ok. Not same level as Roland cloud. I would love to see Korg step it up with the other analog emulations.
Yeah, the legacy colection is quite dated and in desperate need of an overhaul. It was probably released not too long after the Triton (the hardware one). The ARP Odyssey though is top notch modelling and imho better than the Roland synths, at least on the same level.

Does the XV-5080 plugin contain all the presets of the JV-1080 making it redundant?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:11 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:00 pm Hate to say it but I think roland modelling is ahead of korg. And when it comes to the legacy collection the Roland cloud interfaces are also much better. But the cloud stuff is a mess. As described in my other thread. I’m not sure about the triton, never really cared about that but I do have the rest of the
legacy. Odyssey is great, the other analogs are ok. Not same level as Roland cloud. I would love to see Korg step it up with the other analog emulations.
Of course korg are sensible about including all expansions in stuff like the wavestation, triton and m1. Roland making separate plugins is a perfect example of how greed is getting in the way of common sense and what would obviously be better for users.
Don’t understand the “greed” comment.
All Roland expansion packs are free for registered users, all you need is download them. Talk about common sense...

Unfortunately Korg comes and shows Roland how a proper rompler plug-in is done.

1. You can see they invested effort in making the interface modern and very user friendly. It's easy to edit sounds. The Roland ones are a joke when you open that Edit section

2. IMO the triton looks ten times better. It's pretty, really competing with the likes of Omnisphere and others.

3.To my ears it sounds better. And more authentic. Just like the original rompler, it has that extra loudness and clearness that hardware usually provides. The Roland ones fall short to my ears in this aspect. The XV-5080 has nothing in common with the original when it comes to the aforementioned sound details.

4. It also comes in VST2 format and is usable in DAWs like Reason which haven't got VST3 support yet.

joe_b wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:13 pm
Yeah, the legacy colection is quite dated and in desperate need of an overhaul. It was probably released not too long after the Triton (the hardware one). The ARP Odyssey though is top notch modelling and imho better than the Roland synths, at least on the same level.
To me, sound / feature-wise, nothing is needed on the Korg Legacy products I use regularly (the Wavestation, M1 and MonoPoly). small GUI doesn't matter to me much.

Korg took a long time to come out with Triton plugin, yes, but it beats Roland's JV/XV rompler plugins in pretty much everything:

1. all expansions available in a SINGLE PLUGIN
2. much nicer UI (no separate modal window for preset browsing, and also a better preset browser where you don't have to freaking double-click to load a patch)
3. lower CPU usage (by half, comparing in Reaper. Instantiating JV-1080 I see my RT CPU going to 9.5% and staying there, when I load Triton it goes to 4.4% CPU and staying there. Reaching max polyphony of 64 (to match Roland's plugin) Triton uses a decent chunk less CPU)
4. increased polyphony compared to the hardware version (whereas Roland slavishly copies polyphony limitations of their hardware)
5. actually multitimbral (Roland's plugins play only a single patch, in Triton you can combine 8 patches, have them respond over different MIDI channels, etc.)
6. no cloud

Return to “Instruments”