Overpriced Spitfire products

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:46 pm Sorry, what is everyone arguing about here? I've read the last couple of pages and I can't figure it out.
The thread is about over-priced Spitfire products. The OP posted about Kepler orchestra. I supported the idea that it, like Albion One are over-priced but I say it is because they lack the ability to play much in the way of orchestral repertoire when cheaper options are superior.
Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:07 am Noteperformer is a good tool. But is someone seriously going to send that rendition to a music director for actual use rather than as a guide for a live orchestra?
Those mockups from noteperformer there easily outperform what most sample libraries can do with that music. So yeah...if you're going for that kind of music, those examples would, in most cases, be the best option you'll have if you're not going to record a real orchestra.

Honestly man, I think you fail to recognize that there is actually considerable nuance here. "Good" sounding vs "real" sounding are not one and the same.

There is no universally-accepted benchmark for how real sample mockups need to sound to be used in a finished project. Music directors on projects that don't record real orchestras have and do accept whatever they feel is good enough and smart ones understand that they're not using a real orchestra. Sometimes, this is all pretty fake sounding. There are still lots of TV shows, games, etc. that don't have hyper-realistic sampled scores. They also don't have very realistic actor performances, special effects or dragons either, though. People don't seem to mind as long as the end result is good.

AngelCityOutlaw wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:15 pm The thread is about over-priced Spitfire products. The OP posted about Kepler orchestra. I supported the idea that it, like Albion One are over-priced but I say it is because they lack the ability to play much in the way of orchestral repertoire when cheaper options are superior.
Kepler is definitely not about playing the orchestral repertoire. It's a niche product and as such could be disappointing for some people. Not all sample libraries have to do Mozart.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:44 pm
AngelCityOutlaw wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:15 pm The thread is about over-priced Spitfire products. The OP posted about Kepler orchestra. I supported the idea that it, like Albion One are over-priced but I say it is because they lack the ability to play much in the way of orchestral repertoire when cheaper options are superior.
Kepler is definitely not about playing the orchestral repertoire. It's a niche product and as such could be disappointing for some people. Not all sample libraries have to do Mozart.
That’s what mean, among others, with my comment in my previous post: the thread ”lives its own life”, undepending what OP has written.

I NEVER even hinted, that I expected the Kepler being a multipurpose orchestral tool, when I purchased it.
Kepler is (supposed to be) niche product, to complement generic orchestral libraries.

I have several times specified the deficiencies of the Kepler in this thread, as I have experienced the product.
The core issue is, that a high-end -priced product shouldn’t be that badly implemented, as is the case with the Spitfire Kepler.

I have reported these issues to the developer, and got their reply. They don’t agree with me.

Harry_HH wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:26 pm I NEVER even hinted, that I expected the Kepler being a multipurpose orchestral tool, when I purchased it.
Kepler is (supposed to be) niche product, to complement generic orchestral libraries.

I have several times specified the deficiencies of the Kepler in this thread, as I have experienced the product.
The core issue is, that a high-end -priced product shouldn’t be that badly implemented, as is the case with the Spitfire Kepler.

I have reported these issues to the developer, and got their reply. They don’t agree with me.
And I don't agree with you, so who's right and who's wrong? No-one of course.

I just feel that if you'd maybe bought something like Chamber Strings (I got it for £360 - utter bargain) then you'd have a different overall view. I have certainly seen mostly positive stuff about that library and the negative stuff is about the editing on certain articulations etc. And fixes is certainly an area I think Spitfire need to step on generally. I hope they do.

So yes, any library you find useless is going to be overpriced whatever it cost, but it doesn't make ALL Spitfire libraries overpriced (especially as this is the only one you have), which is what the thread title implies.

Sweeping statements like this sadly mask any nuances in your argument and lead to threads like this which I think, like everything it seems these days, is only seen through a polarising lens: left/right, wrong/right. I even agree with you on some points and suggested some things to try, but that all got lost in the noise I guess.

AngelCityOutlaw wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:15 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:46 pm Sorry, what is everyone arguing about here? I've read the last couple of pages and I can't figure it out.
The thread is about over-priced Spitfire products. The OP posted about Kepler orchestra. I supported the idea that it, like Albion One are over-priced but I say it is because they lack the ability to play much in the way of orchestral repertoire when cheaper options are superior.
Ah, right you are, thanks.

I'll, um, leave it with my previous post. Y'all have fun now!
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Simplification seems to be the only way to get even part of your message through.
Of course my thread header could have been something like
"Spitfire audio makes quality products, as we all know, but I'm a bit doubtful with their Kepler, didn't get much out of it, but on the other hand, this may be my own fault, maybe I expected wrong things, most likely all the rest Spitfire products are much better".

Harry_HH wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:53 pm Of course my thread header could have been something like
"Spitfire audio makes quality products, as we all know, but I'm a bit doubtful with their Kepler, didn't get much out of it, but on the other hand, this may be my own fault, maybe I expected wrong things, most likely all the rest Spitfire products are much better".
See that's much better, gets the point across succinctly :hihi:

Do the Originals ever go on sale?
https://www.spitfireaudio.com/originals/
I would love to see is to buy the FELT PIANO for $29 and get the CINEMATIC SOFT PIANO for free.

Haven't seen any of the 29 groats (choose your unit) libraries ever go on sale, but you may as well wait and see if they're doing a Christmas sale. If not you can buy them after knowing they'll probably stay 29 doobloons for some time.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:06 am Do the Originals ever go on sale?
I would love to see is to buy the FELT PIANO for $29 and get the CINEMATIC SOFT PIANO for free.
I doubt it, $29 is cheap enough as it is.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

I consider to upgrade to BBC Core since its 40% off and I also get on top € 49 discount because I have the (free) BBC Discovery version. That would makes it about € 220 compared to the "normal" sale price from
€ 449. I think its a good deal for what you get.
Of course not sure if I really need it, G.A.S and being bored is a bad combination.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:06 am Do the Originals ever go on sale?
You mean LABS Soft Piano? Which is already free. As stated on the website, Cinematic Soft Piano is the very same piano, resampled/rerecorded and packaged up with more control.
At $29, it's already a steal given the Musician, studio rental, Recording Engineers, VSTi Programming and Development Team, Web hosting/distribution, etc.

It astounds me how many people need spoon feeding and expect everything for nothing.

If you're wondering why Spitfire Audio products can have a decent price tag (which compared to other equivalent products by other developed are really quite reasonable) it's because they have a policy of paying the musicians involved a % of each sale.
All the kids out here, wanting to make money out of music, better realize that other people other there need to pay for food/rent/life too.

deleted.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:36 pm Regarding the price: I made the observation that more generally British companies typically have more expensive pricing schemes compared to continental European (eg German) companies for equivalent products and services.
Lol Orchestral Tools and VSL disagree with that! They are just as pricey as Spitfire.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”