What synth do you actually USE the most in your own music????

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:11 pm
Why would a classic pad sound be crap while other classic sounds are still appreciated and never age? For instance the Jazz Bass sound or the Music Man sound or the Strat sound or the sound of a trumpet or acoustic guitar etc. etc. etc.? Nobody says a Bösendorfer is crap just because it sounds like 100 years ago.
Spot on comment - it's the one thing that drives me crazy about the EDM community. And I'm a fan and producer of it. You'll hear people complain that a sound is played out, or sounds so 90's etc. You don't hear that in any other genre that I can think of. I tend to agree with you. If something sounds good, it sounds good. Who cares when the sound was designed.

STi_NJ wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:15 pm
Why would a classic pad sound be crap while other classic sounds are still appreciated and never age? For instance the Jazz Bass sound or the Music Man sound or the Strat sound or the sound of a trumpet or acoustic guitar etc. etc. etc.? Nobody says a Bösendorfer is crap just because it sounds like 100 years ago.
Spot on comment - it's the one thing that drives me crazy about the EDM community. And I'm a fan and producer of it. You'll hear people complain that a sound is played out, or sounds so 90's etc. You don't hear that in any other genre that I can think of. I tend to agree with you. If something sounds good, it sounds good. Who cares when the sound was designed.
To be fair the EDM sound is constantly evolving because sound design and the available instruments keep changing/improving (tho goa/psytrance really doesnt change all that much in my opinion...love that stuff). Hard to say the same thing about drums, or a trumpet, or a violin ;) On the other hand guys like Nils Frahm and Olafur Arnalds are doing different stuff with the piano so even that can change if one is creative enough.

LeVzi wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:42 am It always varies, but right now, I am back using Sylenth loads.

I had the synth when it first arrived on the scene, then sold it, now I have it again and it's been the best move i've made as it's one of those synths that "just work"

But also, Electra2 is another I use loads.

Over the black friday / xmas period I was grabbing cheap synths that popped up on offer, so now I have more than i've ever had, and where as i'd spend ages in a project making a sound from scratch, I just check the presets more now, and it's been something I should have adopted a lot sooner.
ha, i totally get that. i sold my license... twice, then came back a third time, and still using it...

Deleted. Wrong thread...
Last edited by e-crooner on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Used to hear a lot of 'played out sound' comments about overuse of specific samples or the same obvious unchanged presets from one of the most popular synths (well hello again 'Fantasia') and it was even more noticeable with synths/drum machines that didn't handle velocity levels with everything maxed out.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

e-crooner wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:13 pm I think all plugins above 100 euros/dollars should be available in installments. For a lot of people 180 euros is a lot of money, especially outside rich countries.
just buy the ones you can afford?
sadly in life, we all have a "budget", may seem unfair but that's life.
theres nothing more "essential" about the more expensive ones, you might have to work a little harder with the less pricey ones to get the same sort of sound, or close enough it doesn't really matter :shrug:

also plugins are a luxury item, theres no law that states everybody should have access to all.

I guess it depends on what it is, some stores will give you 3 or 4 months to pay on over 100 dollars by billing you cc three months in a row. Just pay it off each month, or try paypal credit :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:00 pm
e-crooner wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:13 pm I think all plugins above 100 euros/dollars should be available in installments. For a lot of people 180 euros is a lot of money, especially outside rich countries.
just buy the ones you can afford?
sadly in life, we all have a "budget", may seem unfair but that's life.
theres nothing more "essential" about the more expensive ones, you might have to work a little harder with the less pricey ones to get the same sort of sound, or close enough it doesn't really matter :shrug:

also plugins are a luxury item, theres no law that states everybody should have access to all.
Seems you had already clicked on reply before I deleted my post, which had ended up in the wrong thread. I reposted it in the Diva thread, where it belongs:
viewtopic.php?p=7642111#p7642111

Sylenth1
DoomTune.com

I would say that Reaktor is a good saving in the long run. It has all kind of synthesis and also great beats :D It sure can be all I need :) It's like "I'm every woman", but I can't be monogamous! I want more than one beauty to touch :hihi:

Hink wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:27 pm I guess it depends on what it is, some stores will give you 3 or 4 months to pay on over 100 dollars by billing you cc three months in a row. Just pay it off each month, or try paypal credit :shrug:
yeah just a heads up to dudes you can pretty much buy anything on Sweetwater with a debit card and get an installment plan. it's bad for your credit score evidently but whatever.

I cant see how it is bad for your credit
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Yup.

My band uses quite a bit of Wurli - it's a great instrument for a reason. You can noodle and sit with some mellow chords under vocals and it doesn't step on anything, then bang a little harder between phrases and some awesome key notes appear because of the distortion. True, if you use it too stereo-typically it will sound dated, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in modern music. If it (and the B3, Mellotron, etc.) didn't exist but were patches on a synth and used in EDM, we'd have probably forgotten them. Maybe for more "modern" music, the 303 acid bass line, 808 drums, etc., can remain somewhat iconic more because they existed in dedicated hardware first.

Admittedly though, I cannot find a good place for a DX7 marimba without sounding like I'm wearing Chess King outfit :lol:

If we're talking specifically about synth plugins (versus samplers or virtual instruments in general), the two synths that are in nearly every one of my tracks are NI Massive or Waves Element. I don't use either of them for presets, but rather for basic synth parts where it's faster for me to just dial the sound in on a synth than it is to browse preset libraries.

If we're considering samplers as well I'd have to add Kontakt to that list; it's in nearly everything I've done, from main instruments to drum kits to SFX, presets and self-made patches.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:11 am
folderol wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:23 pmWould anyone be the least bit surprised if I said 'Yoshimi'? :D
And that's for the last 10 years :hyper:
I would. I have no idea what it means and all I get from the internet is a Linux thing that looks like some shareware app from the 90s.
Not shareware. Free. Originally from 2005, still under development. Oh and a little bit more than an 'App'. Don't let the appearance fool you. Considering its feature list and complexity it is remarkably easy to use.

P.S
It also runs on the Raspberry Pi.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Return to “Instruments”