What synth do you actually USE the most in your own music????

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

EnGee wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:57 pm
vurt wrote: this is how the multiverse works, these gargantuan creatures consuming the old, exploding and creating new. and because they have no anus, all the matter they ever consumed is recycled.
You mean they don't know what analogue is? That make us unique then 8)
Look at yourself as a single cell of a bigger organism. Unique, but not that important. Cells don't have an anus either. So look at those gargantuan creatures as cells as well...
The universe uses big bangs most and super novae in her music... (we have to stay on topic!)

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:51 am
vurt wrote: this is how the multiverse works, these gargantuan creatures consuming the old, exploding and creating new. and because they have no anus, all the matter they ever consumed is recycled.
Look at yourself as a single cell of a bigger organism. Unique, but not that important. Cells don't have an anus either. So look at those gargantuan creatures as cells as well...
The universe uses big bangs most and super novae in her music... (we have to stay on topic!)
I'm sorry, citation needed :shrug: :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

So anus have cells which don't have anus. What a wisdom! Thanks ;)

You learn something new everyday :hihi:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Serum is my fave.

My other top synths include:

ANA2
Dune 3
Falcon 2
Hive 2
Icarus 2
Rapid
Spire
Sylenth
SynthMaster
SynthMaster One
VPS Avenger
Zebra

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:58 pm
they know all, as we are just expressions of them experiencing every aspect of the universe from within.
Come on now...
It says on the packet:
"The blue pills must be taken with food." :hug:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:31 am
A good analog-type synth can also make a wide range of sounds, but it's important one knows it inside out. Just recently I accidentally discovered a nice trick to make authentic string sounds on a subtractive synth.
What? You couldn't just look at any of the hundreds of V/As that do nice strings and work it out? You think there's a trick to it?
I was just working on my "tricky" Sylenth1 string patch again and remembered this thread... :wink:

https://app.box.com/s/zqkaeveqnjj3tfngcetgdy7j3wv45mjg

Recently its been LION & Xils3 LE ... but I tend to use my hardware synths more these days.

Which ones? It doesn't say "softsynth" in the title.
e-crooner wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:31 pmI was just working on my "tricky" Sylenth1 string patch again and remembered this thread... :wink:
https://app.box.com/s/zqkaeveqnjj3tfngcetgdy7j3wv45mjg
That's actually very, very impressive. It's a bit reminiscent of the Stradavarius (?) patch in Diva. It must have taken a lot of work, but still not quite up to this sort of standard, though, is it? And this is straight out of the box from something cheaper than S1.
https://soundcloud.com/heavyocitymedia/ ... essentials

For me it's about horses for courses. Why spend hours trying to make a synth sound like strings when you can have beautifully sampled strings in an instant? NOVO Essentials is a brilliant, amazing instrument (3 instruments, actually).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Because restrictions encourage creativity? :)

upd: another reason - samples are raster information, while synth patch is vector. Hence you can tweak your synth strings till the civilization falls, without any quality loss.
Another reason - when you (or context) prefer the synth string sound over the recorded one.
So many pros :phones:
Last edited by Dencheg on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

JoeCat wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 pm
STi_NJ wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:15 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:11 pm
Why would a classic pad sound be crap while other classic sounds are still appreciated and never age? For instance the Jazz Bass sound or the Music Man sound or the Strat sound or the sound of a trumpet or acoustic guitar etc. etc. etc.? Nobody says a Bösendorfer is crap just because it sounds like 100 years ago.
Spot on comment - it's the one thing that drives me crazy about the EDM community. And I'm a fan and producer of it. You'll hear people complain that a sound is played out, or sounds so 90's etc. You don't hear that in any other genre that I can think of. I tend to agree with you. If something sounds good, it sounds good. Who cares when the sound was designed.
Yup.

My band uses quite a bit of Wurli - it's a great instrument for a reason. You can noodle and sit with some mellow chords under vocals and it doesn't step on anything, then bang a little harder between phrases and some awesome key notes appear because of the distortion. True, if you use it too stereo-typically it will sound dated, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in modern music. If it (and the B3, Mellotron, etc.) didn't exist but were patches on a synth and used in EDM, we'd have probably forgotten them. Maybe for more "modern" music, the 303 acid bass line, 808 drums, etc., can remain somewhat iconic more because they existed in dedicated hardware first.

Admittedly though, I cannot find a good place for a DX7 marimba without sounding like I'm wearing Chess King outfit :lol:
oh yes...remember chess king?...jeans west, and j riggins lol
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:51 am
Holons according to Arthur Koestler (Ghost in the Machine.)

On topic: whichever one i fire up that day.

Repro-5.

It went like this: I would load any other synth, design a sound, write a melody or some harmonic support. Then I would ask myself: 'But how would Repro-5 sound?' So I would copy-paste the track, add a Repro-5 instance, repeat the sound design process, listen to the track... and then get rid of whatever other synth I started with.

Of course, Repro has its limitations - no wavetables, very limited modulation options, monophonic when using unison, etc... - but for what it cán do I absolutely love the sound this thing creates (also thanks to its superb fx).

So yea. Repro-5. :)

folderol wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:04 am
vurt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:58 pm
they know all, as we are just expressions of them experiencing every aspect of the universe from within.
Come on now...
It says on the packet:
"The blue pills must be taken with food." :hug:
explains this 4 day erection im lugging around :cry:

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:27 am Which ones? It doesn't say "softsynth" in the title.
Dreadbox Abyss, Medusa & SUB37 ...

Return to “Instruments”