Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

why use L2 ? L1 is still great !

or neither

Ploki wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:06 pm :lol: really?
what was the last thing waves "innovated"? The L2 limiter I reckon
Ask any pro, they're using Waves and have been for decades, pretty simple answer to all the hate mail.
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

burnt circuit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:03 pm
Ask any pro, they're using Waves and have been for decades, pretty simple answer to all the hate mail.
At least you're not crying about the installation process that they've had to dumb down for the common folk. I wonder if all these dummies will ever figure out how WUP works and why you don't need to update it unless your O/S demands it. Solution, find another O/S company not putting out crappy updates every few months demanding and defunct'n your system.

Maybe someday they'll figure out it's better to go the cheap upgrade route and get more free plugins at a lower price while updating their existing product, then worrying about the price of WUP.

Still using some version 9 plugins, while people are paying for updates to other brands yearly.

Also got most of the plugins free through the referral program, not sure if any other companies gives away free plugins like that.

Short question: has someone casually tried the demo in Reason 10? I cannot manage to get Ovox to show up in Reason while other waves plugins show up without any problem and Ovox runs without a problem in standalone mode, but Ovox inside Reason seems not to work

burnt circuit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:03 pm Ask any pro, they're using Waves and have been for decades, pretty simple answer to all the hate mail.
pretty sure most pros don't use waves exclusively anymore.
They were one of the first, kinda like protools, and they're gonna go out of fashion when old engineers stop working.

But that's not what i asked, i asked what has Waves "innovated" in the last decaded? Ovox is not innovation, its a vocal synth ripoff, even the color scheme.
burnt circuit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:09 pm I wonder if all these dummies will ever figure out how WUP works and why you don't need to update it unless your O/S demands it. Solution, find another O/S company not putting out crappy updates every few months demanding and defunct'n your system.
I paid exactly for 0€ in the last 6 years for Logic Pro X, and the ALL of my plugins work fine on catalina, and i didn't have to pay a dime to any dev to release catalina upgrade.

Waves has the dumbest wrapper available, installing a new instance for each channel config is just ridiculous. No other brand i own does this so clunky. I guess it's innovative, since they're the only one using this stupid method.

Once again a thread risks derailment due to somebody’s overt dislike to a product they deem inferior. Waves do what they do... period! If you don’t like their plugins don’t use them, the constant harping says more about the troll than the company.
It’s totally legitimate to criticize but the amount of bile that’s produced when dissing a company is just plain out of order.
As they say ‘Opinions are like arseholes...everyone has one’ but there is surely a better way to voice an opinion than just broad brush stroking everything with aggression and negativity.
Ovox is a much much better version of Vocal Synth - which IMO is pretty unusable - it might not be innovative but it’s taking that idea to another level, ain’t nothing wrong with that.

kelvyn wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:46 am
Ovox is a much much better version of Vocal Synth - which IMO is pretty unusable - it might not be innovative but it’s taking that idea to another level, ain’t nothing wrong with that.
I use VocalSynth constantly and i have no incentive to get Ovox.

And I can get why waves owners would love it - i too prefer when a company i already invest in releases something so i don't need to buy into a whole different ecosystem.
I had an issue with "leading in innovation" and "revolutionary"...

Ploki wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:15 am
burnt circuit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:03 pm Ask any pro, they're using Waves and have been for decades, pretty simple answer to all the hate mail.
pretty sure most pros don't use waves exclusively anymore.
They were one of the first, kinda like protools, and they're gonna go out of fashion when old engineers stop working.

But that's not what i asked, i asked what has Waves "innovated" in the last decaded? Ovox is not innovation, its a vocal synth ripoff, even the color scheme.
burnt circuit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:09 pm I wonder if all these dummies will ever figure out how WUP works and why you don't need to update it unless your O/S demands it. Solution, find another O/S company not putting out crappy updates every few months demanding and defunct'n your system.
I paid exactly for 0€ in the last 6 years for Logic Pro X, and the ALL of my plugins work fine on catalina, and i didn't have to pay a dime to any dev to release catalina upgrade.

Waves has the dumbest wrapper available, installing a new instance for each channel config is just ridiculous. No other brand i own does this so clunky. I guess it's innovative, since they're the only one using this stupid method.
Check any working audio professionals file folder and you will find Waves plugins that they've been using for decades and still using.

If you need another brand of EQ or Compressor they're all over the place. Waves develops and innovates everything else, while offering the most variety of EQs and Compressors.

Figuring out how and when to use them is the real culprit of the subjective hate mail.

Ploki wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:20 am
kelvyn wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:46 am
I use VocalSynth constantly and i have no incentive to get Ovox.

And I can get why waves owners would love it - i too prefer when a company i already invest in releases something so i don't need to buy into a whole different ecosystem.
I had an issue with "leading in innovation" and "revolutionary"...
Folks, we have another case of Waves Derangement Syndrome confirmed.

Compared to Vocal Synth and Vocalizer Pro Ovox definitely seems like an improvement and more innovative product. Maybe not revolutionary, but still.

And yes, Waves has done plenty of innovation even lately, especially in the field of live sound processing.

Also I don't get what you are on about ecosystems. What ecosystems? Everything is based on freaking VST standard. I have plenty of Waves plugins as well as plenty from every other major developer. There's no such thing as Waves ecosystem.
No signature here!

burnt circuit wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:36 pmCheck any working audio professionals file folder and you will find Waves plugins that they've been using for decades and still using.
That's no longer true in my experience. 10 years ago every post facility was using Waves. I've now used several that don't, and in conversation its Waves Central that is typically the reason they've ditched it, finding other easier / better alternatives. Others do still use their v8 ilok or maybe v9 versions.

Not that any of this will convince anyone - Waves seems to be a subject where trying to have a nuanced or balanced view in KVR is essentially impossible. burnt circuit shouts and rants wildly at anyone who ever has encountered an issue as pure ameteur incompetance on their part while every single professional in the known universe loves them exclusively, while many others say that Waves haven't made even a passably good plugin since 1876. C'est la KVR.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Despite waves very strict policies and everyday sales, company makes very good and stable plugins. Not every single one is a gem (mater of personal preference ofcourse), but alot of them are very good and even some are almost 2 decades old. But old doesnt mean bad right, because in the end is music what speaks...and waves are just tools.

I still use Waves L2 and no other limiter (or compressor) sounds exactly like that when puting down the threshold
Also its a super low CPU footprint plugin. I love it. Its most used limiter along uhe presswerk and ik multimedia white 2a.

burnt circuit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:03 pm
A pro couls get great results with stock plugins or any in fact. Because he is a pro.

"pro"? that is funny... it only means (or should mean) they have made at least $0.01 for their work... has nothing to do with how much they made from their work or even the quality of their product lol

p.s. as for ovox... i find it quite underwhelming
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

oonabe wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:56 am Short question: has someone casually tried the demo in Reason 10? I cannot manage to get Ovox to show up in Reason while other waves plugins show up without any problem and Ovox runs without a problem in standalone mode, but Ovox inside Reason seems not to work
I will answer myself and try to bring back this conversation to the main theme. I have managed to get the Ovox demo to show up in Reason.

I had to remove the waveshell files from my default vst plugin folder and then I've opened Waves Central and first run the Clear Cache option and after that the Repair option, then I reopened Reason and finally got my Ovox demo showing up. Hope this helps in case somebody has the same issue

Return to “Effects”