Ribs

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
levendis
KVRist
86 posts since 23 Mar, 2014

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:30 pm

Crust sounds great!
i don't understand a lot of it but can tweak knobs and soon get an organic character.

1eqinfinity
KVRist
225 posts since 29 Apr, 2012

Re: Ribs

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:13 am

Last month I used it for some experiment and I must say I forgot some of the knobs too) took me a while to remember how to do stuff :)

frosty9000
KVRer
1 posts since 19 Jan, 2020

Re: Ribs

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:38 am

I've just discovered Ribs and have been using it for the last couple days and it is AMAZING. Definitely in my top few granular plugins. And it works great in Logic if you load it as a MIDI Controlled Effect and feed audio in through sidechain input.

The only huge issue I have that is keeping me from fully embracing it is not being able to save and load patches. Is there a chance you will add that function soon?

Also on a sidenote if you do keep working on it, being able to drop in audio files directly would be cool and add a whole new layer of use :)

1eqinfinity
KVRist
225 posts since 29 Apr, 2012

Re: Ribs

Post Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:04 pm

frosty9000 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:38 am
I've just discovered Ribs and have been using it for the last couple days and it is AMAZING. Definitely in my top few granular plugins. And it works great in Logic if you load it as a MIDI Controlled Effect and feed audio in through sidechain input.

The only huge issue I have that is keeping me from fully embracing it is not being able to save and load patches. Is there a chance you will add that function soon?

Also on a sidenote if you do keep working on it, being able to drop in audio files directly would be cool and add a whole new layer of use :)
Glad you liked it :) Adding files, though seems to be a simple feature, actualy has a huge logistics roadmap due to some restrictions of the framework that I used. I have to reinvent a couple of bicycles. One third of the file manager is ready :)

X86
KVRist
78 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Re: Ribs

Post Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:13 pm

Awesome tool, is it possible to put this on the master in ableton, and run a whole completed track through it and then export the track with the Ribs FX on said track?

User avatar
Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3828 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Re: Ribs

Post Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:26 pm

Typically a question which answers itself (just do it...). Not having any experience with Live I’d say why not? Your host doesn’t know that this is something else than a compressor or eq...

levendis
KVRist
86 posts since 23 Mar, 2014

Re: Ribs

Post Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:39 am

Mercifully, Ribs doesn't need to process in real-time. So a host's audio file export will accurately render grain sizing, envelope times, etc.

X86
KVRist
78 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Re: Ribs

Post Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:54 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:26 pm
Typically a question which answers itself (just do it...). Not having any experience with Live I’d say why not? Your host doesn’t know that this is something else than a compressor or eq...
So far I can't run a whole track through it without some pop/click when the buffer (which I have set to max) overlaps? itself which happens several times through the course of the track.

I would like to run a whole 5 minute+ track through it using the Ribs slow effect to get the nice effect it gives but without the buffer overlap pop/click that inevitably happens. I am not sure how to avoid this, if someone could chime in that would be great!

levendis
KVRist
86 posts since 23 Mar, 2014

Re: Ribs

Post Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:19 am

X86 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:54 am
I would like to run a whole 5 minute+ track through it using the Ribs slow effect to get the nice effect it gives but without the buffer overlap pop/click that inevitably happens. I am not sure how to avoid this, if someone could chime in that would be great!
i believe there is currently no way to avoid this. i've posted here, previously, on this issue and suggested a fade at write position during refill. The developer said that would involve maintaining parallel buffers, so has an idea for addressing the crackles.

Otherwise, use NOTES (Performance mode), engage the return playhead switch, and ensure the step knob determines playback position to lag behind the buffer write position. Or, automate the aiming playhead such that it avoids the buffer write position.

Tangentially, exploit the crackles as intrinsic character.

X86
KVRist
78 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Re: Ribs

Post Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:58 pm

levendis wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:19 am
X86 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:54 am
I would like to run a whole 5 minute+ track through it using the Ribs slow effect to get the nice effect it gives but without the buffer overlap pop/click that inevitably happens. I am not sure how to avoid this, if someone could chime in that would be great!
i believe there is currently no way to avoid this. i've posted here, previously, on this issue and suggested a fade at write position during refill. The developer said that would involve maintaining parallel buffers, so has an idea for addressing the crackles.

Otherwise, use NOTES (Performance mode), engage the return playhead switch, and ensure the step knob determines playback position to lag behind the buffer write position. Or, automate the aiming playhead such that it avoids the buffer write position.

Tangentially, exploit the crackles as intrinsic character.
Very informative post. Thank you.

Hopefully he can solve this in the future. That would be a game changer.

callel
KVRer
5 posts since 14 Feb, 2017

Re: Ribs

Post Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 am

Thanks for sharing this, do you know if there is a manual somewhere because I think the video tutorials are not really usefull for this complex and powerfull plugin?

nichttuntun
KVRian
834 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Ribs

Post Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:00 am

callel wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:55 am
Thanks for sharing this, do you know if there is a manual somewhere because I think the video tutorials are not really usefull for this complex and powerfull plugin?
Press the question mark button to see short parameter descriptions. PDF manual is included in the download.

callel
KVRer
5 posts since 14 Feb, 2017

Re: Ribs

Post Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:03 am

Thanks nichttuntun I didn't noticed that the pdf was inclueded, I'll take a long look at this :)

nichttuntun
KVRian
834 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Ribs

Post Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:16 am

:)

Return to “Instruments”