Guitar fx noob. Which order of fx?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:32 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:20 pm Don’t forget dynamics - a wah or compressor should go at the start of the chain before gain pedals.
some like the wah post fuzz :P
my cock fight has a switch for pre/post :)
Yep. Basically, none of this is 'rules' - there are common places you would put types of pedal in a chain, but it's not going to kill anyone if you ignore that.

I agree with all of the above. The listed orders are common, especially in rock, for a reason. You can't go wrong with the tried and true. BUT, as has likewise been mentioned,
rules are meant to be broken. Have fun and experiment. Sometimes effects that were made specifically for other instruments...bass, synth etc....can sound really cool on guitar and vice versa. :D
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I did but I kept getting the pick stuck in the keys

Wah after fuzz gives the ‘normal’ wah sound, fuzz after wah gives a peaky/shrieky kinda effect, using fuzz (distortion/overdrive) before a phase shifter or flanger makes a lot of harmonics for the flane/phase to work with. Compression at the very end of signal chain will tame all the possible volume peaks and valleys, compression towards the beginning will give that swell effect and feed a more even signal to other pedals. Fuzz after modulation can get sizzly. Delay early in the chain will make echoes with effects distinct on each echo, delay late in chain means the composite sound will delay as one type of sound echoing. Wah more towards the end can be used as a simple filter. Be sure to try as many combinations as possible.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Everyone's covered the standards but I will say distortion/fuzz after reverb/delay can be useful and you should experiment with it.

Thanks guys. I always started with an amp in my chain that why things sounded bad. Now I come close to good results.
rabbit in a hole

compressor==>distorsion==>reverb

One recomendation if you're doing this inside a DAW:
Put an EQ as the first effect, to use take the unnecessary low-end rumble with HPF. This will make anything after to sound better, mostly the amp.

heavymetalmixer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:09 am One recomendation if you're doing this inside a DAW:
Put an EQ as the first effect, to use take the unnecessary low-end rumble with HPF. This will make anything after to sound better, mostly the amp.
--that will take away any DC also, thanks for the tip mister mixer

nix808 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:33 am
heavymetalmixer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:09 am One recomendation if you're doing this inside a DAW:
--that will take away any DC also, thanks for the tip mister mixer
I use an audio isolator to deal with any possible DC Offset. They are cheap and handy to have as they also do unbalanced/balanced conversion. As it is a transformer, they can colour the signal so a good quality one is advised. I use one of these (with jack and XLR ends)

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/trans.htm

They are not to be confused with a DI, which deals with impedance and level matching (attenuation) as well as balancing, but may be transformerless so not isolating.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

man-that's cool to know,
I have an isolator for hum, but that one is a different animal I think
khanyz wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:17 am

I'm a convert to the compressor and now have a couple scattered about my boards. As well as the more traditional place in the chain, they also come in useful after things like a Qtron.

nix808 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:37 am man-that's cool to know,
I have an isolator for hum, but that one is a different animal I think
khanyz wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:17 am
I wouldn’t think so. Is it just a passive 1:1 audio transformer?
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

khanyz wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:50 am I wouldn’t think so. Is it just a passive 1:1 audio transformer?
It's a ground loop isolator, I used to need more than one when wiring a couple of old PC's audio together

Return to “Effects”