Overwhelmed With Cubase Problems

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 am
I'm pretty sure such bugs apply to specific hardware configuration.
No. This time it's across the board. Windows and Mac

Everyone using Cubase in version 10.0.50 or 10.5.0 has this issue?

Also note that it says "Possible abnormal CPU consumption with specific VST3 plugins." and "Memory leak (Metal backend, Mac-specific)" in the linked topic. So, even if it was across the board, as you say, it will only affect a part of the users, not everyone.

Bones uses one of the most stable systems out there AFAIR (a Surface Pro 3 or 4).
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

It could still be specific to that, or other platforms.

Anyway, I don't want to say that this is the case. Just saying that there are hundreds, yes, hundreds of people testing that kind of stuff. And, in the case of Steinberg, I know for sure that they have a huge testing department, with all kinds of hardware. If it's specific to some VST3, or has to do with some Mac specific tech, then it doesn't matter, of course.

Similar problems here (windows 10, UAD apollo twin interface). And the workaround of "use VST2 plugins instead" doesn't work because those f*ckers just dropped vst shell plugin support. Big surprise when many of my projects didn't load correct anymore because it couldn't find the plugins...
Last edited by RobinWood on Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobinWood wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:06 pm Similar problems here (windows 10). And the workaround of "use VST2 plugins instead" doesn't work because those f*ckers just dropped vst shell plugin support. Big surprise when many of my projects didn't load correct anymore because it couldn't find the plugins...
Wait, what? What does this mean for Waves?

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:07 pm
RobinWood wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:06 pm Similar problems here (windows 10). And the workaround of "use VST2 plugins instead" doesn't work because those f*ckers just dropped vst shell plugin support. Big surprise when many of my projects didn't load correct anymore because it couldn't find the plugins...
Wait, what? What does this mean for Waves?
Right now it doesn't find the waves shell or the vengeance multiband sidechain and non of my other shell plugins. The devs told me to use vst3 instead because Cubase dropped the support for it, probably to even more enforce VST3. But the vst3 versions are not only buggy, the bugs in cubase make them unusable like BONES wrote.

Wow that’s interesting. Steinberg playing hardball with Waves! I’ve no idea who holds the most power there.

Using cubase 10.0.50 in a Toshiba Tecra from 2012 with Windows 10, and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 interface -- it's heavier than pre cubase 7 versions, but apart from some sporadic real time cpu spikes in certain plugins, it's working acceptably for me… I do have to use ASIO Guard at max level and have the Steinberg High Performance plan activated from Cubase. I know this probably will not help much with the topic problem, but I'm interest in following the discussion. :)
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

Hi guys , maybe some things i experienced due lot of testing and hassle with the newest windows 10 updates is of interest. First of all with every windows 10 update the low buffer got worse and worse. Some guys say in Windows 7 it was all good with low buffer settings, in windows 10 it got worse. Say if you like to work with 64 samples and it was ok in Windows7 maybe you cant in windows 10 update 1903 or 1909 because M$ changed some important things like restrictions to multicore and if you are using usb soundcards there could be a problem if you are not using "high performance energy mode" in windows. I have a Yamaha AG03 as well as an EMU-1820m The steinberg audio power plan is not that good, it also does cpu core parking. While core parking is actually not a problem when you playing back some music, i dont know what a plugin does if a core is not reactivated fast enough. Here is an article on multicore problems on windows 10: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... CPU-setups .

The thing that bothered me most is the steinberg support via ticket system . It is the second time they do not respond to an incident within 8 weeks (!). I had an incident with halion 6 (answered with a standard tip like try to reinstall halion 6 which didnt helped btw. ...) and the second was multicore with a ryzen 1700 and this question i send on nov 23 in 2019 no answer until now. Maybe steinberg is only interested in big studios like scoring things, i dont know.

The high performance energy plan definitely doesn't do core parking.

Also, do you have more than 14 logical cores?
In short, the outcome of this is that on systems built around a CPU with more than 14 logical cores*, processing threads exceeding this amount will be carried out as non-real-time (like UI-threads), introducing drop-outs and performance issues.
In any case, I would say that the ASIO driver in use has much more relevance than stuff like that. For both latency and performance. There could even be a significant difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10 drivers by the same manufacturer, which would already flaw the comparison, if you do one.
Last edited by chk071 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steinberg knows vst3 sucks dirty ass. that's why they are playing hardball. for the record i'm having vst3 issues in reaper, and no longer use vst3 versions. thank the heavens reaper still uses vst2. by the time they get vst3 in some kind of working order it will be time to move to vst4 lol. bones' issue might be different then vst3 tho.

BONES wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:40 am Over the past few weeks my problems with Cubase have been steadily mounting, to the point where now there is only one out of 8 projects I've been working on that I can open and play reliably. Even then, I can't actually play along with it because with a buffer of just 256 samples, the latency is more than half-a-second in Cubase. OTOH it is unnoticeable in Orion using the same Steinberg I/O device (UR44C). This latency problem is random but occurs often enough that I could never even contemplate trying to record a performance into Cubase from my MIDI controller.

I have one song that will not play from the beginning but will play, with lots of glitches, from any random point in the arrangement. I have songs using 8-10 VSTi, 4 or 5 effects and a couple of audio tracks that cannot play more than a few notes before the CPU is overwhelmed by a spike and no further play is possible. The same songs use around 10% of my CPU in Orion and play smoothly. I have one project that crashes Cubase if I try to open it before I've opened any other project but usually (not always) opens after I've being working on something else.
1) What does the crash report say ?
2) Does it help if you increase buffer size ?
3) Did you check Windows Task Manager to see what other processes are running ?
4) And did you try playing along with CDC (Constrain Delay Compansation) turned on ?
BONES wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:40 am I can't see any pattern as to specific plugins that may be causing problems. The one common factor is that all the projects started as MIDI song files exported from Orion, imported into Cubase and then populated, where possible, with the same instruments used in Orion.
This screams midi related issues. I would check my midi settings first. Could be as simple as an old-fashioned midi-loop somewhere. Or Midi filters, emulated midi-ports settings, all that crap.
More BPM please

I was going with the progressively getting worse scenario.

If there was an introduced bug, I am glad that the field is narrowed or solved. Nuendo does not have these issues, which is what I am using. I have Cubase on another machine but it is the original release of 10.5, and it sees little mileage.

There was a special crossgrade offer from cubase to nuendo, maybe steinberg thinks that is the way to solve problems from cubase :lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”