Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Will Surge be usable on touch screens at some point? There is an acceleration that prevents being able to use the controls. Or is there a setting somewhere? Sorry I don't remember if I brought it up here already.

EDIT: Oh it looks like it is in the change log for 1.6.5. Cool!

Are you dropping 32bit support?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:00 pm Are you dropping 32bit support?
Nope. We still build it and distribute it. But none of the core team runs it. I last ran it four weeks ago and it seemed to work. That’s why we are asking for community testing!

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:51 pm Will Surge be usable on touch screens at some point? There is an acceleration that prevents being able to use the controls. Or is there a setting somewhere? Sorry I don't remember if I brought it up here already.

Oh yeah a few more users confirming this fix would be great

baconpaul wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:43 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:51 pm Will Surge be usable on touch screens at some point? There is an acceleration that prevents being able to use the controls. Or is there a setting somewhere? Sorry I don't remember if I brought it up here already.

Oh yeah a few more users confirming this fix would be great
Tested in out and it seems to work well. I haven't figured out a way to pull up the modulation list drop down in the empty slots with touch though, that seems to till need a mouse. Maybe a double tap would be good, but not really a big deal. I have long press disabled for right-click but so maybe that's the normal way.

baconpaul wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:42 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:00 pm Are you dropping 32bit support?
Nope. We still build it and distribute it. But none of the core team runs it. I last ran it four weeks ago and it seemed to work. That’s why we are asking for community testing!
Ah that is great :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:32 pm Tested in out and it seems to work well. I haven't figured out a way to pull up the modulation list drop down in the empty slots with touch though, that seems to till need a mouse. Maybe a double tap would be good, but not really a big deal. I have long press disabled for right-click but so maybe that's the normal way.
That's really great to hear.

Right now double click is bound to "reset to default" but we might be able to detect double click with a press gesture differently. I think the long-press-for-RMB may be what the windows folks are using. I'm a mac person so didn't actually test or develop this particular feature - let me pass your comment onto our slack and see what folks say.

Unfortunately vstgui doesn't make touch easy. In Surge we are using a forked version of vstgui for a couple of reasons, which is why we were able to add this in a fairly straightforward way, but we have a lot of code between the surge gui and the underlying windows API, so not sure how much we can do.

I really appreciate the testing. Thank you.

baconpaul wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:33 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:32 pm Tested in out and it seems to work well. I haven't figured out a way to pull up the modulation list drop down in the empty slots with touch though, that seems to till need a mouse. Maybe a double tap would be good, but not really a big deal. I have long press disabled for right-click but so maybe that's the normal way.
That's really great to hear.

Right now double click is bound to "reset to default" but we might be able to detect double click with a press gesture differently. I think the long-press-for-RMB may be what the windows folks are using. I'm a mac person so didn't actually test or develop this particular feature - let me pass your comment onto our slack and see what folks say.

Unfortunately vstgui doesn't make touch easy. In Surge we are using a forked version of vstgui for a couple of reasons, which is why we were able to add this in a fairly straightforward way, but we have a lot of code between the surge gui and the underlying windows API, so not sure how much we can do.

I really appreciate the testing. Thank you.
Actually let me modify my comment slightly - It's anything with a right-click that I haven't been able to do. Not specification those cc slots. But like I said, I've disabled the long press as right-click, which is probably what works for this. I disable because it can get annoying for working with vst guis and making slight changes and holding a knob too long and getting a right-click unintentionally. But that's just my preference, so it's nice if there's an alternative but probably not something you want to worry about too much. Not sure what other touch screen users think of that.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:52 pm Actually let me modify my comment slightly - It's anything with a right-click that I haven't been able to do. Not specification those cc slots. But like I said, I've disabled the long press as right-click, which is probably what works for this. I disable because it can get annoying for working with vst guis and making slight changes and holding a knob too long and getting a right-click unintentionally. But that's just my preference, so it's nice if there's an alternative but probably not something you want to worry about too much. Not sure what other touch screen users think of that.
yeah a member of our team confirmed that the long hold does pop up a working version of the Surge menu if the RMB option is enabled. It's a bit of threading (and not a super easy bit of threading) to add an option and make double click work if on a touch screen and the option is set; I'd sooner leave the code stable for 1.6.5 if that's OK, since the code surgery is a bit high.

So I propose that we ship 1.6.5 with standard touch working and add a feature request for a touch-double-click which we can add on a user option after the synth ships in our next version.

Sound OK?

Thank you for testing!

baconpaul wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:28 pm yeah a member of our team confirmed that the long hold does pop up a working version of the Surge menu if the RMB option is enabled. It's a bit of threading (and not a super easy bit of threading) to add an option and make double click work if on a touch screen and the option is set; I'd sooner leave the code stable for 1.6.5 if that's OK, since the code surgery is a bit high.

So I propose that we ship 1.6.5 with standard touch working and add a feature request for a touch-double-click which we can add on a user option after the synth ships in our next version.

Sound OK?

Thank you for testing!
Sounds good, no big deal! thanks!

tried recent win32 nightly build,wt export and import works well,gui contrast looks good,thanks.

baconpaul wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:10 pm Hey Folks.

Bringing it back to Surge for a bit. We're planning on releasing 1.6.5 in a couple of weeks and we have a lot of improvements, including full KBM support, a lot of fixes to the VST3, improvements to the modulation section, UI improvements with temposync - basically a lot. Many of these changes were in response to requests directly from this thread (for instance, I added an export-wavetable option). Full changelog here: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/changelog/

But we really need help testing before we print the release. Especially on the platforms we don't use that much (like VST2 on 32 bit windows - no-one here runs that!) having a few folks grab the nightly and give it a whirl would be great.

And some of the most important contributions to the project have come from people doing careful tests and writing good bug reports. So if you are willing to help it would be great if you could

1. Go to https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/#downloads and download the nightly installer

2. Install it. (You can always install the 1.6.4.1 or any of the priors if you need to go back)

3. Use it to make music. Try your workflow. We are especially interested in (1) VST3 automation users; (2) people in diverse windows environments with our modified installer; (3) folks using tuning and (4) general testing the UI since we made a lot of tweaks

4. If you find something you think is a bug either raise a GitHub issue (here: https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues - accounts are free), drop into our slack and post on #general, or grab a member of the team through one of the other social angles (including commenting here; although that will have a slower response than GitHub or slack).

Finally - thanks for testing! A few more folks giving it a while will make us much more confident when we finish off the release.
Hi, thanks for this great synth!

I've been using the 1.6.21 version few months ago and already release a song for my country's local pop market. Surge sounds great and blend really well with the acoustic instruments (recorded ac.gtr, cajon, cabasa etc.) and also very rock solid and light on cpu. I use 32-bit VST2, win7 on a Dell laptop.

Just give he Nightly version a run. All seems good and normal :tu:

If I can have a request, please update the parameter names, which all have the same name, FX1 param, FX2 param. etc. Possibly better like FX1 param1, FX1 param2, etc...

TIA

kinwie wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:12 pm
If I can have a request, please update the parameter names, which all have the same name, FX1 param, FX2 param. etc. Possibly better like FX1 param1, FX1 param2, etc...
Neat. Thanks for the testing, and always happy to hear your music if there's a link to share.

And good eye on this. I can't believe this has been wrong this way forever. It was a 10 second fix, and I fixed it in the nightlies which are going to come out in about 30 minutes. If you want to test again later this evening or tomorrow, would be appreciated. We also fixed a few other bugs folks found in our testing, and have one or two small ones left before we print the final release next week.

Will there ever be proper FM routing with non-sine\fm oscilators (e.g. WT to WT)?

dtrq wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:45 am Will there ever be proper FM routing with non-sine\fm oscilators (e.g. WT to WT)?
Already in there with FM 1>2 1>2<3 etc..

Return to “Instruments”