Overwhelmed With Cubase Problems

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ls1xxx wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:05 am Every version of Cubase above 6 has been nothing but problems.
Yeah, think 9.5 was first one after a while that felt stable enough again for most people, at least judging by other colleagues, Steinberg forum and my limited personal experience with it.

Dasheesh wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:55 pm steinberg knows vst3 sucks dirty ass. that's why they are playing hardball. for the record i'm having vst3 issues in reaper, and no longer use vst3 versions. thank the heavens reaper still uses vst2. by the time they get vst3 in some kind of working order it will be time to move to vst4 lol. bones' issue might be different then vst3 tho.
Yep. I have switched everything to vst2 except for plugins that make use of multiple midi ports.

Vst3 was and still is a complete train wreck where the head engineer is still determined to keep the throttle on.

The industry really needs badly an independent plugin standard instead of vst/au. Especially vst.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

The whole reason we moved to Cubase was because we had a few VST3 only plugins we wanted to use so if VST3 is the issue, then I'll be asking for my money back and buying a new host. How solid is Studio One?
Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:12 amNot directed at Bones at all but why anybody would choose to be an early adopter is beyond me. Sure if you’re just a hobbyist wanting the latest toy then great but if you actually need to get work done then stick with the version that is tried and tested.
Because new versions have new features and I think it is more than reasonable to expect that a company like Steinberg, with a product as mature as Cubase, could manage to make their software work properly before they release it to the public. I have never worried about it and wouldn't going forward, either, given that I'm not on the latest version anyway (couldn't see any reason to pay for point release). For most of the time I used Orion, I used beta versions of the software, even on stage. We also upgrade Creative Cloud at work as soon as new versions are available and that's never caused problems.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

First started using VST plugins way back in 2000, returned to them specifically in 2014 as Props Reason had run itself into the ground with the diabolical version 8. Picked up Studio One 2.6, always stuck to VST2 plugins (never really seen the point of VST3)... and other than a couple of hiccup's which I could avoid with certain releases by Presonus by simply reloading a previous version...I've really not looked back.. Wanted to move into more filmscore based productions without the limitations imposed by Reasons eco system ultimately..and the bonus of a video player was icing on the cake with S1..as limited as it was.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Not directed at Bones at all but why anybody would choose to be an early adopter is beyond me. Sure if you’re just a hobbyist wanting the latest toy then great but if you actually need to get work done then stick with the version that is tried and tested.
In this case, dropping in 10.0.50 shouldn't be considered an "early adopter" situation, but the 5th revision of improvements to the original release. Steinberg stated that this one was a "hotfix" over the 10.0.40 release, which was quite stable. Unfortunately, the VST3 bug slipped in with it. Bones has a number of options at this point. (1) Find a copy of 10.0.40 and reinstall. (2) Disable Suspend VST Audio in prefs as a temp fix (3) Wait it out for about a week and see if Steinberg issues a fix along with whatever they release for 10.5.
On a number of Macs

A week? Where are you getting that timeframe from? I'm fed up enough with it that I am going to download the Studio One demo tonight and see what that's like but, if a fix is only a week away, I can live with it for that much longer. I really like Cubase, when it works, but I've been using it for less than a year so it's not like I'd be throwing much away if I ditched it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Shame Bonez, I was looking forward to more of our Cubase fist-bumps.

Fortunately I can't complain, been stellar for me - I'm still on Cubase 10 on a custom beast DAW if that matters.
Have you tried Vital?

I put all my projects up on my OneDrive and got my bandmate to open them over the weekend and he had exactly the same problems with them so I know it has nothing to do with hardware because his desktop workstation has zero in common with my laptop.

I’ve seen a lot of issues reported with the latest version of Cubase - was on the Rayzoon forum earlier, and there are reports that the most recent betas of Jamstix have stopped working correctly in Cubase.

Definitely seems like something was introduced into the latest version that is screwing things up in a number of different ways.

Not sure there’s been any official word from Steinberg on this though...

BONES,
I have only used the cheap versions of Cubase. I now use the Cubase AI8 (latest possible version) that came with my steinberg UR22 mkII. Once in awhile it's a little buggy, but not serious. Usually, when I shut my 10+ year old iMac completely off & start over, that fixes most problems. Not sure if downgrading to whatever cheap? version of Cubase that came with your interface would help at all? Or that's what you're using now?
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

I hadn't actually thought of that. I did get Cubase AI as part of the UR44C purchase and it's probably enough to run everything I need. I might actually give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Weasel-Boy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:40 am I can only guess you are using either the latest version of C10.0 or C10.5 from your description of problems. Steinberg introduced a bug in the last update of 10.0 and all versions of 10.5 that really screws around with VST3 plugs that appear to cause a lot of what you’re describing. They finally identified the problem and the next 10.5 update (due, I’m guessing, 1st week of Feb) is supposed to solve the issue. If you’re using 10.0.50, roll back to 10.0.40 which didn’t have the bug. Hopefully, that should improve things for you. If not...I tried.
I am curious.
What bug is this?
rsp

edit: ah never mind.
this
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 6&t=178016
rsp
sound sculptist

OK well I am not getting a single issue mentioned regarding VST3 here in Cubase 10.5, as for it being a broken medium I dispute that , as in fact I use VST3 almost exclusively over VST2 now, if I have a choice of what to install, I only install VST3 it's allowing me to load a lot more.

Anyway, something is causing these issues, so lets see if any of the basic checks work, what I do when I hit these issues.

Someone mentioned core parking, I read about this, and disabled it by default, using a utility from this site

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-d ... ng-windows

Worth trying.

DPC latency. standard test of a system to see it's behaving properly, I had to run it when I upgraded to Cubase 10.5 as I was hitting audio issues, but turns out the HDD I was using wasn't coping. I have since upgraded to an SSD for Cubase and it copes fine. Biggest performance boost of all was from the SSD. Also, when running the tests, I noticed that the biggest cause of ALL latency was USB callbacks. Mainly my WiFi as I am on Wifi through a USB adapter. Disabling this completely would at least allow it's elimination from testing.

Simply test as well, have you enabled PDC in cubase ? Maybe try enabling it, just to rule out some kind of timing issues from the imported MIDI.

Plugin check , one by one unload and play the project until the issues go away. Or open a blank project and load in multiple instance of each plugin until the system starts to glitch. Then, as was mentioned, look to change from VST2 to 3 or vice versa.

The standard stuff i'd try too, trashing preferences, use safe mode Hold down control-alt-shift while Cubase launches.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I got a few tips from Steinberg today - from Germany via the local office in Melbourne - and after tweaking a few things in Preferences and updating my nVidia drivers, most things are working OK now. One song still won't play from the first bar and there is a still a MIDI delay in another but everything else seems fine. All the songs play without any CPU spikes or audio glitches. It's as good as it has ever been now so I can get on with my work, which is a huge relief.

Thanks everyone for taking an interest, your time and effort is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by BONES on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:37 amI got a few tips from Steinberg today
Sharing them would be a good idea, no?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”