How would a subscription model benefit the consumer using Logic?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All I can say is that the last time we had such a long time between any feature based updates we got LPX. Apple basically abandoned LP9 while they worked on LPX. So my guess is that they have the next version in the works. Even so LPX has had major upgrades per year since it was released. LPX when it first came out was a freaking mess, the latest version has so many features in it that weren't there when LPX first came out on top of being ten times more stable.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:46 pm All I can say is that the last time we had such a long time between any feature based updates we got LPX. Apple basically abandoned LP9 while they worked on LPX. So my guess is that they have the next version in the works. Even so LPX has had major upgrades per year since it was released. LPX when it first came out was a freaking mess, the latest version has so many features in it that weren't there when LPX first came out on top of being ten times more stable.
Are you serious? Do you miss something specific? I don’t get this longing for useless speculation. Do you mix the disaster of the first FCP release with LPX and do you believe Apple is going to take that sort of risk ever again?
The only danger I see is, that they are stupid enough to release a Logic version which will not run on Mojave! Even that would not be a problem for years to come... Just use what you got and be happy...
IHNTSIWOTI...

apoclypse wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:46 pm LPX when it first came out was a freaking mess, the latest version has so many features in it that weren't there when LPX first came out on top of being ten times more stable.
Absolutely, up until 10.1 it made no sense.

The entire Mac line is less than ten percent of their revenue, so no, they aren’t neglecting their core business. Their core business isn’t creative software and macs any more. Having said that, 10 percent of Apple is still nothing to sneeze at compared to the rest of the market.

I just get a laugh from “money people” having a go at Apple. Apple’s market cap is bigger than the gdp of all but the top 14 sovereign nations, I think they have a handle on this business thing, guys. :lol:

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:49 am
apoclypse wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:46 pm All I can say is that the last time we had such a long time between any feature based updates we got LPX. Apple basically abandoned LP9 while they worked on LPX. So my guess is that they have the next version in the works. Even so LPX has had major upgrades per year since it was released. LPX when it first came out was a freaking mess, the latest version has so many features in it that weren't there when LPX first came out on top of being ten times more stable.
Are you serious? Do you miss something specific? I don’t get this longing for useless speculation. Do you mix the disaster of the first FCP release with LPX and do you believe Apple is going to take that sort of risk ever again?
The only danger I see is, that they are stupid enough to release a Logic version which will not run on Mojave! Even that would not be a problem for years to come... Just use what you got and be happy...
IHNTSIWOTI...

Am I serious about what? I'm guessing based on past behavior but I'm not waiting for the next version of Logic nor do I have issues " just using what I got". For one after the mess that was Logic X when it released and major performance issues with LP9 on Lion that forced me to move to Studio One which is my primary DAW now so I barely even use Logic for anything serious anymore.

My speculation was based on past experience. Before LPX was released, LP9 had major issues with performance on anything other than Snow Leopard due to some graphics library being updated in later versions if macOS. Apple didn't update or even address the issue until they released LPX...three years later.

Also Apple did repeat the disaster that was FCPX, in LPX. LPX was a buggy, slow mess when it first released and they didn't really fix it until at least 10.1, but it only really started being usable (to me at least) in 10.2. If you don't believe me then look it up.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Ableton's only business is music and their release pace is not so different than Logic.
Logic's problem is no rumor, no public beta, no communication etc and being left behind in some long standing areas which makes one think it is not being seriously worked on anymore. Having said that 2 years is a long time without a major update and as always no information what so ever. So it's either L11 is being worked on or as some suggest it is neglected which I think unlikely.

apoclypse wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:22 am

Am I serious about what? I'm guessing based on past behavior but I'm not waiting for the next version of Logic nor do I have issues " just using what I got". For one after the mess that was Logic X when it released and major performance issues with LP9 on Lion that forced me to move to Studio One which is my primary DAW now so I barely even use Logic for anything serious anymore.

My speculation was based on past experience. Before LPX was released, LP9 had major issues with performance on anything other than Snow Leopard due to some graphics library being updated in later versions if macOS. Apple didn't update or even address the issue until they released LPX...three years later.

Also Apple did repeat the disaster that was FCPX, in LPX. LPX was a buggy, slow mess when it first released and they didn't really fix it until at least 10.1, but it only really started being usable (to me at least) in 10.2. If you don't believe me then look it up.
?
It wasn’t. None of this is true. I frequent logicprohelp forums and was an early adopter.

The worst deal breaking bug is broken PDC and its still there.
Edit: i was also early adopter of 2012 retina mac and used it with lp9 for a while before lpx came out.

Maybe its not recognized that in Logic the major updates are one digit later, after the . . As soon Edgar Rothermich is releasing a new book, you know important things have changed... Version 11 is to be expected not before 10.9!

And I was asking what is missing. Why longing for new versions if the tool just works??? Why speculating at all?
The op question is answered anyway: there would be no benefit for anybody at all!

Missing:
- decent/at least working AAf support
- automatable plugin snapshots
- chunks like feature (dp) for cues
- decent midi routing (optional separate port input per track)
- fixed PDC/bus bug
- fixed timing issues re automation
- decent MPE editing

For me the most annoying,

Core Audio Reset/Reload with buffer, interface change
Can not remove all fx but keep the instrument with one click
Can not make fx plugins inactive (bypass sill adds latency)
EXS24/Ultrabeat GUI

andypryce wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:27 am Ableton's only business is music and their release pace is not so different than Logic.
Logic's problem is no rumor, no public beta, no communication etc and being left behind in some long standing areas which makes one think it is not being seriously worked on anymore.
Ableton’s business model is pushing their products in parallel to social media centered fashionable gadget followers and “I’m the authority of modern art” type vain man.

Apple has their products covering this segment. They are i gadget products. Obviously Apple’s niche pro lineup aren’t targeting this segment.

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:29 am
apoclypse wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:22 am

?
It wasn’t. None of this is true. I frequent logicprohelp forums and was an early adopter.

The worst deal breaking bug is broken PDC and its still there.
Edit: i was also early adopter of 2012 retina mac and used it with lp9 for a while before lpx came out.
https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... p?t=100960 First hit when googling. That was a very common issue in LP9.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... p?t=108284 First hit when googling LPX 10.0.

Here's more https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5747608

Maybe learn how to use google.

I've been a Logic user since 5.5 Platinum. LPX and LP9 forced me to look elsewhere.

I was a Logic user with version 3 and switched to StudioVision... I missed the logic in the workflow...

apoclypse wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:56 pm

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... p?t=100960 First hit when googling. That was a very common issue in LP9.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... p?t=108284 First hit when googling LPX 10.0.

Here's more https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5747608

Maybe learn how to use google.

I've been a Logic user since 5.5 Platinum. LPX and LP9 forced me to look elsewhere.
first link is LP9, we were talking about LPX.
second link was NOT widespread at all, the thread has 4 answers and most are nonsense.

CPU issues were not new. Multi-threading was an issue for all DAWs at the time, when the race to most GHz changed to race for the most threads. (I also frequent lph forums)

Third link is again weird specific combination that causes random issues.
I can google shit and come up with some weird ass specific issues from random users for any DAW at any point in f**king time, that proves absolutely nothing.

I can also google and come up with more links why the earth is flat and tell you "maybe learn how to google"

LP9 and LPX forced you to look elsewhere? So you stopped using it at LPX after you already stopped using it at LP9?

To be fair, both Logic 9&X did had issues, I was there too, investigating should I update or not, Apple did solved those issues to some extent, but L9 wen't downhill after Snow Leopard and first iterations of LX were let downs. Was thing usable, yes, most of the times, it was just matter of few revisions of OS and/or Logic, but by the end of life of one OS version you had good thing going on, Apple never left Logic doomed too long, early adopters were only affected, that's the price to pay for beta testing instead of making music.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”