What is the secret with Moog VCF?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What’s got a hazelnut in every bite?

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:04 pm What’s got a hazelnut in every bite?
squirrel shit!

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:05 pm
Forgotten wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:04 pm What’s got a hazelnut in every bite?
squirrel shit!
Stay on topic!

seriously, please stay on topic
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:40 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:49 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:40 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:30 pm Blasphemy! *hovers mouse over report button*
spaced.
classic uk tv comedy :)
Ah. I do like british humour :)
well, if you also enjoy sci fi/fantasy/comic books...
then i totally recommend "spaced" 8)
If its got that monty python humour im sold :)
Forgotten wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:45 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:40 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:49 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:40 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:30 pm Blasphemy! *hovers mouse over report button*
spaced.
classic uk tv comedy :)
Ah. I do like british humour :)
well, if you also enjoy sci fi/fantasy/comic books...
then i totally recommend "spaced" 8)
Me too.

Not sure where you are, but I’ve been able to watch Spaced on Hulu here in the US.
Im pretty sure it says Norway under my profile name ;) Anyway i think Hulu is available on Xbox so of to watch spaced i guess :D
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

The secret to the (mini) moog filter is 1- resonance lowering as cutoff goes down 2- bass being removed as you increase resonance and 3- the cutoff following portamento/glide.

yul wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:54 pm The secret to the (mini) moog filter is 1- resonance lowering as cutoff goes down 2- bass being removed as you increase resonance and 3- the cutoff following portamento/glide.
Seems like insightful analysis, thanks. :)

Well, I wouldn't call bass being removed (2) part of the secret, as in success, of the Moog filter.

It's no co-incidence that the pro3 introduced a 'boost' function to counter that, as have several software synths.

yul wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:54 pm The secret to the (mini) moog filter is 1- resonance lowering as cutoff goes down 2- bass being removed as you increase resonance and 3- the cutoff following portamento/glide.
I wouldn't call any of those the "secret of the Moog filter". For me, it's rather a mixture of the general filter's character, the Moog envelopes, and the resonant behavior. Hard to describe more specifically, but, it has a unique creaminess, warmth, and simply sounds great.

The decrease of bass, or, rather, volume, is a unfortunate side effect, which I would definitely rate as a disadvantage. Unless you want to closely emulate the filter's behavior, I would get rid of it in software. Not a huge downer though. I wonder why Sylenth1 has the same though, it's really not something I'd emulate when I'd do a software filter, especially when it's not closely modelled, just like Sylenth1's filter is not a closely modelled ladder filter.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:15 am
I wouldn't call any of those the "secret of the Moog filter". For me, it's rather a mixture of the general filter's character, the Moog envelopes, and the resonant behavior. Hard to describe more specifically, but, it has a unique creaminess, warmth, and simply sounds great.

The decrease of bass, or, rather, volume, is a unfortunate side effect, which I would definitely rate as a disadvantage. Unless you want to closely emulate the filter's behavior, I would get rid of it in software.
+1

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:15 am The decrease of bass, or, rather, volume, is a unfortunate side effect, which I would definitely rate as a disadvantage.
But there are two ways to go
- increase of resonance let filter clip
- increase of resonance lower volume so it does not clip

and I don't think analog is prepared to lower volume for headroom and increase overall noise floor all the time.

Really common for digital as well, since you don't want to sacrifice a lot of volume unless there are peaks to handle within the digital realm.

Digital Hammond do as well if you add percussion, but also a setting not to do it if you prefer that.

Nordlead do it too, increase resonance and volume goes down.

Some may prefer Prophet sound to Moog, since as I read in thread that Prophet compensate bass when doing resonance somehow, if I got that right.

Listened to Pro 3 demo and it sounds really lovely too.

Some praise Oberheim for phat basses - so not sure how they differ in construction and characteristics?

lfm wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:10 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:15 am The decrease of bass, or, rather, volume, is a unfortunate side effect, which I would definitely rate as a disadvantage.
But there are two ways to go
- increase of resonance let filter clip
- increase of resonance lower volume so it does not clip
You're right, that's an issue. It's still preferable for me to a mostly quite significant loss of volume though.

I think a lot of soft synths do it by not lowering the volume that much. Or, the resonant peak isn't up to levels most analog synths go up to. Of course, that leads to a different filter characteristic, and, it's probably up to considertation whether or not you want it to be like that. Or... up to the skills of the developer. :)

Problem:
This seems to be the problem.
Urs wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 pm 4-pole ladder/casacde filters have a phase shift of 180° at the cutoff frequency but almost no phase shift towards the bass. Resonance is a negative feedback, which essentially creates a 360° phase shift, so it *adds* gain to the cutoff frequency while it deminishes gain pretty much everyhwere an octave or two away from cutoff - because there it really just subtracts the signal from itself.
Solution:
This page suggests to use a resonant HPF to boost the bass.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=154648

Actually, it's a common user trick on the MS-20 to use the resonant HPF in this way.

The resonance sucking up the bass is quite nifty, desirable and by design I am sure.

Low end comes from the osc's not the filter anyways... resonance doesn't work well in the lows...raising the volume is much better here.

As the cutoff sweeps back and forth with resonance, you get bass or not depending. Interesting when there is no HPF. as you have a bit of control over bass.

I prefer other styles of filters most of the time as I tend to focus on oscillator stuff anyways,

Look at other synths if you want another character...plenty of other styles out there both analog and suctractive.

yul wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:36 pm Look at other synths if you want another character...plenty of other styles out there both analog and suctractive.
This is why most people use more than one synth :) Different synths (whether hardware or software, analog or digital) all have a different character, even if they fundamentally have the same voice architecture (for typical subtractive synths anyway). Some high-end hardware synths and many plugins even offer multiple filter types so you can choose the most suitable one for what you're trying to achieve.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”