IK Multimedia T-racks Tape Machine Collection

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS Tape Machine Collection

speculate and run with it why don't you... why did i expect anything different? lol :dog:

first off... it was a bloody joke for the most part but yes many EDM mix sessions have tons of tracks albeit small but some have well over 100. also take into account orchestration mixes... some are not small parts but many sessions still have tons of tracks. who in their right mind would use a 'per instance' scenario on large projects these days?

you could easily do 100+ and use only one instance without summing a thing. have you ever thought about rendering/bouncing/printing? you could use a bus and run say 1000 tracks through it and print them ALL individually as single tracks before mixing them. would it not be the same as using 1000 tape plugs which would crash any system? i venture to say yes :) (of course i am exaggerating here on the count if i must note lol) there are many ways to skin a cat people. it is easy to cut back on resources these days using plugs in the box unlike in the past where you had to use an actual tape machine. anyways... i was basically talking about mixing and not recording live.

as for my own personal projects... i rarely go over 30 tracks... usually far less because i like more gritty garage band sounds but i have mixed other's projects that can get quite large. it is my advice one should always ask first before attempting to read another's mind as to what was meant. imo it saves on sounding foolish. lol cheers :)
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

glokraw wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:35 am With 100 tracks, any stellar sound qualities of individual instruments
and performances stand a good chance of getting edged out.
I'd rather clearly hear 4 to 10 parts, well played and arranged
for the most important parts to come forward at the right time.
In the genre, you are hearing 4 to 10 parts. I think what it is is they are using DAWs in a different way from people who came from the days of tape machines. The use the tracks in the DAW to organize sections of the song instead of using the tracks to organize an entire preformance. So in a 5 minute song, instead of having 5 tracks of 5 minute performances, they might have 50 tracks of 30 second performances grouped around spanning a 5 minute song.

google "San Holo" on youtube --- he has a few vids showing his screen display in Ableton.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:46 pm
glokraw wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:35 am With 100 tracks, any stellar sound qualities of individual instruments
and performances stand a good chance of getting edged out.
I'd rather clearly hear 4 to 10 parts, well played and arranged
for the most important parts to come forward at the right time.
In the genre, you are hearing 4 to 10 parts. I think what it is is they are using DAWs in a different way from people who came from the days of tape machines. The use the tracks in the DAW to organize sections of the song instead of using the tracks to organize an entire preformance. So in a 5 minute song, instead of having 5 tracks of 5 minute performances, they might have 50 tracks of 30 second performances grouped around spanning a 5 minute song.

google "San Holo" on youtube --- he has a few vids showing his screen display in Ableton.
That

just a heads up... the Motorhead song "Electricity" from the Pro Mix Academy course which is a three piece band has 49 tracks (not counting the split mixed down tracks) and imo i don't think anyone in their right mind would want to whittle it down to just a few tracks. everything is in mono and you need them to spread the image. it is certainly NOT 100 tracks lol but with a small band (3 piece) it is STILL almost halfway there. :) cheers

p.s. Lemmy's bass and vocals take up 13 of them (4 bass) (9 vocals+harmonies)

p.s.s. of course you could certainly remove some i reckon but imo that would detract from the song.
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

i've never mixed any Rush... but with their sound and complexity i am pretty certain it would exceed that track count by a long shot and they were only a three piece band too.

live mixes are a different animal but studio work/sessions can get rather large very quickly :) cheers

but i will say that all of the Motorhead tracks in my mix were funneled into 4 basic buses then out to the main... so in reality i reckon you could say you are only hearing 4 parts :) cheers

For those that were discussing resizing previously, T-RackS Custom Shop v5.3 is available in your IK User Area under "My Products" and has this release note that should interest some:
Opens the resize and undo-redo functionality to all users
Also, it makes T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb available.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 pm For those that were discussing resizing previously, T-RackS Custom Shop v5.3 is available in your IK User Area under "My Products" and has this release note that should interest some:
thanks. i will give i a shot

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:33 pm For those that were discussing resizing previously, T-RackS Custom Shop v5.3 is available in your IK User Area under "My Products" and has this release note that should interest some:
going through them now. i also see the guitar product have been given updated. "general reliability improvements".

could the release notes be any more vague?

BUT despite this new release, IK i still the same company that doesnt fix the bugs that you repport to the support :lol:

And they just proven again with the latest T-racks 5 update:

1. T-racks clipper CPU bug, reported 1 and half year ago - still there
2. Equal scaling bug when windows is set at higher then 100% scaling - still there :-D

I encourage people, do not buy IKM products.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Elektronisch on Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

telecode wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:32 am
going through them now. i also see the guitar product have been given updated. "general reliability improvements".

could the release notes be any more vague?
They always are, if they fix bug they usualy write that. Look at my post, its ongoing thing with IK Multimedia. New update that doesnt give notes usualy means = update for new product support which in this case is new reverb.

plexuss wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:38 pm
electro wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:25 am It would be a mistake IMO for IK to compromise the sonics of their tape emulations with a low CPU mode. Its one plugin type that has to sound and react just like the real thing otherwise you defeat the purpose.
I think it would be better to have a low CPU mode for those that want to conserve CPU but still get some semblance of the Tape plugin sound. Right now, for me, on a 3GHz 12-core system, I have to TURN OFF all the Tape plugins while mixing and turn them on for a render. This is a worse-case than if I had a low CPU mode where I could still get some semblance of them while mixing. It would also give users more flexibility to prioritize CPU usage vs sound quality while mixing. Otherwise there are a lot of people that simply won't buy them or use them because of the CPU drain. In summary, including real-time and off-line over-sampling settings makes digital tools more usable across more people and projects. See the way it's done with Cytomic products for a best-in-class example.
Options are good. Not everybody has a 12 machine. Low cpu mode "Option" makes sense for a much wider range of users.

I meant 12 "core" machine. Low cpu mode "Option" makes sense for a much wider range of users.

They may be stuck with the same problem Acustica Audio has.. it may not be possible to make a "low CPU" option at all.

For instance, if they truly do model the bias signal at it's native rate, that alone is impossible to do without some heavy oversampling and it all trickles down through the mathematical model. There's just no way around that as far as I can tell. I suspect this is also a large part of why the plugin sounds so damn good.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:20 pm They may be stuck with the same problem Acustica Audio has.. it may not be possible to make a "low CPU" option at all.
The point is a low CPU option that may also need to compromise quality just for the purpose of monitoring or for those willing to accept the compromise. Like AA by not providing such functionality some customers will not buy it. those that do may have to adopt compromises on their end, such as time consuming workflows to work around the CPU taxing.

Return to “Effects”