Weird crossover question

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What happens if you wire a simple crossover circuit in a loop to a single speaker? :hihi:

Like this: Speaker -> Crossover (with frequency control) -> Same speaker

they kick you out of the shop?

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:23 pm they kick you out of the shop?
Hahaha.. seriously though, what happens? The crossover circuit was on the inside of an old speaker cabinet with a tweeter removed, but I don't want to uninstall the circuit in case I want to use the tweeter with the other 15" speaker again. So I'm thinking I'll just take the unconnected tweeter wires and do a loop into the 15" speaker. The crossover circuit has a little dial on it to control frequencies, which I'm thinking I can use as some type of LP filter on the 15", since that's pretty much what a crossover does - is send the higher frequencies to the tweeter. :ud: Am I just insane or what? :party:

Get a fire insurance and ear protection and try it, make a video and post it with the warning "don't do that at home kids...". After the experiment get some electronic basics book to find out why happened what happened...
Or do it in the inverse order...

jp008 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 pm Like this: Speaker -> Crossover (with frequency control) -> Same speaker
I read this before, went to answer then deleted the post because i wasnt sure if i understood correctly.

Usually the signal from the amp goes to the crossover which splits the signal into high, mid and low on a 3-way or high and low on a 2-way.

2-way [forgive the poor representation]

a l---> High Pass Crossover----->High Speaker
m-
p l---> Low Pass Crossover----->low speaker

So if you have a 2-way system and disconnect the wire from the high speaker, and connect it to the low speaker, i assume you would be attempting to send the entire bandwidth to the remaining connected speaker, which means you could just as easily wire the remaining speaker directly to the amp bypassing the crossover.

If you are doing a bodgy, i would be more inclined to disconnect the unwanted speaker and secure the wires somewhere, and then wrap the ends in insulation tape.

At least this way, you wont be sending frquencies to the remaining speaker that it is not designed to handle, because the signal will still be going through the low pass-crossover before it gets to it.

jp008 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:39 pm

.. The crossover circuit was on the inside of an old speaker cabinet with a tweeter removed, but I don't want to uninstall the circuit in case I want to use the tweeter with the other 15" speaker again. .....
The crossover circuit has a little dial on it to control frequencies...... :party:
Snip / unplug / desolder the wire going to the crossover from the input connector . Tape over the unshielded metal wire ends . Label the wire as the input . Incase you want to use it again its there and ready to go.

Disconnect the wire from the speaker that comes from the crossover and label it low or 15 or something you’ll understand where to put it back if you ever wanted to .

You dont have to remover the crossover from the cabinet .

Run a new bit of wire from the input on the speaker directly to the 15 .
Or experimentally , run it to the high side of the crossover . For the fun of it . Also , for the safety of it .

The little dial is an attenuator ? Maybe ?
It could be a frequency selector . more commonly it will lower the highs from all the way on to all the way off .

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”