Nuance Feature Requests

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nuance

Was just playing the demo yesterday. Love it. Going to pick up the freestyle suite in the next week.

All Nuance FR here please.

Just demoing the whole suite. I don't really have a need for another sampler since I have Kontakt and Bitwig Sampler, however I don't love making my own patches in Kontakt, so I would probably go for a sampler that had good timestretch as an alternative. So this would be me nuance request that would make me interested:
-A timestretch mode (as opposed to simple repitch) where playing different keys changes pitch but keeps the sample duration the same.
-Additionally, a stretch parameter that alters the length of the sample with the pitch changing (so the keyboard woul dstill change the pitch)

This could work really well with convert to nuance, since if the patch you are sampling has some rhythmic modulations going on and you don't want to sample every key, the timestretch would keep the samples on time. If it was linked to the tempo that would be even better, so when you slow down the track, the samples can change along with it. This would keep sampled tempo synced modulations on time.

If these features above are possible I'd love to know, but if not, these would make me buy it.

Another cool thing would be a way to scan through the sample. This maybe more of a granular thing but sometimes a quality scan might be more related to timestretch than granular.

Well FWIW timestretch in Nuance is actually one of our major topics for 2020, and we are actively doing research / prototyping on it. However, it's too early to give any guarantees / timeframe. So in other words, I hope it happens but cannot say for sure yet.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Some more flexibility in the MIDI modulators would be useful. It's a pretty measly selection of CCs - in fact just one. Just breath, expression and foot in addition to modwheel would be a help. The current setup is a bit too focused on host automation. Also some kind of "via" control or a wider set of mod targets (so that, for example, mod envelope amplitude can be controlled by CC1 level).

Today, I wanted to adjust the mod/filter envelope amplitude using the modwheel and discovered it wasn't possible directly. I've had to kludge it by stacking two modulations which isn't quite what I wanted but it was close enough.

Gamma-UT wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:48 pm Some more flexibility in the MIDI modulators would be useful. It's a pretty measly selection of CCs - in fact just one.
You can assign any MIDI CC directly to most parameters via the Assignment Manager panel.

Furthermore, to use additional CC's as Modulation Matrix sources, use the XY feature. Assign any of the X,Y or Z parameters to a MIDI cc of your choice. Then you can control the X, Y, or Z modulation sources via MIDI cc. This, for example, provides a way to realtime control loop length by any MIDI controller.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Ever tried that with a TEC four-axis controller or an MPE surface like a ROLI? MIDI learn is a mess - the only reliable way to get it done is to map a from a second control surface (unless the dev has had the foresight to make it possible to override the learned CCs or make it possible to just dial them in on the UI). Also they don't appear to save with the preset - other than mapping a core set of three through X, Y and Z and making sure the right assignment template is loaded. I assume that's what you intended: the manual isn't exactly clear on what the behaviour is meant to be.

If you've got it into your head that people only want MIDI CCs for knobular control surfaces then I suppose that's the way it's going to be but maybe when someone puts in a feature request, don't just knock it back with "it's already there". Or maybe not ask for feature requests in the first place.

You also need to take a look at the manual (which BTW doesn't seem to have any way to search through it because it's rendered as web pages). I've tried to find it but there's no mention of, among other things, how the drag-and-drop behaviour with multiple samples changes based on where you drop the samples in the mapping window. After the first ten attempts to work out which drum samples keep getting mapped across an octave, I guess everyone will work it out (along with the zoom function and a bunch of other things). But it might be useful to actually mention that in a tip somewhere.

Because you really want to make sure you drop the samples in the right place because editing them after the fact seems to be so painful. I expect there will be another RTFM-style answer to this, but I cannot for the life of me find a key modifier that makes it possible to drag a single key sample up or down the keyboard in one go instead of messing either with all the three numeric values, working out which zoom level you need to be ale to grab the centre position or doing a stretch and contract operation on each one. With something that's clearly set up to handle drum pads it's a mystery as to why it seems so painful to move single-key samples around the shop.

Also, it would be nice if when you click on a sample, the name is highlighted in the top window instead of having to move the mouse all the way up so the tooltip lights up.

Gamma-UT wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:20 pm Ever tried that with a TEC four-axis controller or an MPE surface like a ROLI? MIDI learn is a mess - the only reliable way to get it done is to map a from a second control surface (unless the dev has had the foresight to make it possible to override the learned CCs or make it possible to just dial them in on the UI). Also they don't appear to save with the preset - other than mapping a core set of three through X, Y and Z and making sure the right assignment template is loaded. I assume that's what you intended: the manual isn't exactly clear on what the behaviour is meant to be.

If you've got it into your head that people only want MIDI CCs for knobular control surfaces then I suppose that's the way it's going to be but maybe when someone puts in a feature request, don't just knock it back with "it's already there". Or maybe not ask for feature requests in the first place.
The latest public-betas of Granite,Nuance and Freestyle all now include the ability to enter the CC/auto id by keyboard in the Assignment Manager panel. You can also delete with keyboard del/backspace key.

Got the beta of Nuance now and that works fine, thanks. Also handy that you can enter one directly without doing a MIDI Learn operation first.

Besides time stretch, the two biggest things:

1) Being able to automate the strength of modulations (especially envelopes) in the mod table.
2) Couple more macros like x, y, z.

I've voiced this one in the past to James (who is amazing btw!) but I'll put it here as well for the record.
Please allow naming of groups and also groups/layers in pad view. It's so easy to get lost when dealing with larger presets and this would be immensely helpful.
Also release triggers would be amazing unless I'm missing something.

Nuance AU specific as I use Logic Pro:

Please add multi-output support for mono. If Nuance had an 8 Stereo, 8 Mono output option then it would be a perfect replacement for my current drum sampler plugin that I’m dropping because the manufacture can’t seem to be bothered to make the AU function as expected.

A Modulation Target for Filter Resonance would be nice.

Time stretch......... How many years now.

Return to “New Sonic Arts”