Monitors for a small semi-treated room (Dynaudio BM5 mkIII or Dynaudio LYD7? EDIT: bought Dynaudio Bm5 MkIII)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

andymcbain wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:12 pm Which brands do your local places stock?
Mostly KRKs. I also found few Fluid Audio FX in one shop and had a chance to check out Neumann KH 120 in another one, which definitely sounded very good but with a 5 inch woofer I'm not sure they would be suitable for mixing trance/psy.

Everything else has to be ordered online.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Passing Bye wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:19 pm
andymcbain wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:12 pm
It's certainly possible to get used to the sound of a pair of monitors, but these days I would prefer to A/B compare different models in a shop - even if that meant going home with something a bit less exciting than the hottest new product being discussed on the web.
Agree.
Just to put that in some context, at the weekend I was working on a pair of Yamaha HS7 for the first time - a relatively old, upper entry level monitor - and found them to be an absolute revelation. I can see why other folk would dislike them but I really liked having so much focus on the mids / upper mids - and sadly my little Eves barely got used on that session. I'm getting a pair as soon as I have the cash :)

andymcbain wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:31 pm Just to put that in some context, at the weekend I was working on a pair of Yamaha HS7 for the first time - a relatively old, upper entry level monitor - and found them to be an absolute revelation. I can see why other folk would dislike them but I really liked having so much focus on the mids / upper mids - and sadly my little Eves barely got used on that session. I'm getting a pair as soon as I have the cash :)
Yeah, my ex-partner got them and I get what you are saying, also good second pair choice, take a look at MSP's, that's pinnacle of that sound, last ones did by the same guy that did NS10's, in some ways they are like full range NS10's, not exactly, but very close sonically and even less engaging than HS series, you really need to make great mix for them to sound engaging.

recursive one wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:30 pm
andymcbain wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:12 pm Which brands do your local places stock?
Mostly KRKs. I also found few Fluid Audio FX in one shop and had a chance to check out Neumann KH 120 in another one, which definitely sounded very good but with a 5 inch woofer I'm not sure they would be suitable for mixing trance/psy.

Everything else has to be ordered online.
There are certainly professionals in the psy scene using the KH120 - I know of at least one. I don't think it's impossible to produce psy on smaller speakers, but it would certainly involve an element of guesswork, visual confirmation with frequency analysers and maybe referencing on headphones - and it sounds like you're probably at the stage where you'd rather move on from that.

I haven't heard the Neumann's but I'd imagine they would sound more like a pair of Dynaudio's than they would a pair of Adam's or Eves. Perhaps someone else could confirm :)

Passing Bye wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:43 pm Yeah, my ex-partner got them and I get what you are saying, also good second pair choice, take a look at MSP's, that's pinnacle of that sound, last ones did by the same guy that did NS10's, in some ways they are like full range NS10's, not exactly, but very close sonically and even less engaging than HS series, you really need to make great mix for them to sound engaging.
Thanks very much, they sound right up my street!

andymcbain wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:46 pm . I don't think it's impossible to produce psy on smaller speakers, but it would certainly involve an element of guesswork, visual confirmation with frequency analysers and maybe referencing on headphones - and it sounds like you're probably at the stage where you'd rather move on from that.
Yes, checking in headphones, comparing to reference tracks, using spectrum analyzers- that's what I routinely do, but I'd like to rely more on my speakers when mixing bass and deciding on the overall mix balance, at least as far as my room can allow.

I have 5 inch KRK rockits now

Is there possibility that you maybe drive few hours to some other town and store, call some stores upfront to see if they can arrange you to test at least few models or find out what they have to show off, hearing some Adam's at least can give you better perspective on all of this, maybe you hate that signature, than this will be much easier.

Passing Bye wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:26 pm Is there possibility that you maybe drive few hours to some other town and store, call some stores upfront to see if they can arrange you to test at least few models or find out what they have to show off, hearing some Adam's at least can give you better perspective on all of this, maybe you hate that signature, than this will be much easier.
I even cosnidered doing that actually, but really I don't want to overcomplicate things.

Some say that Adams tend to have over-pronounced high end, which probably means they are not the right speakers for me because I tend to be oversensitive to the top-end harshness and it will drive me to make things more soft and smooth than needed. Some say that LYD series tend to sound overly "analytical". Not sure what that means, probably too detailed sound, not enough "cohesiveness" - if so, it will probably harder to make proper placement of the instruments in the mix and get good groove/flow and I think my imperfect room won't let me fully enjoy their precision. Everybody says good things about BM5 mkIII which probably means they are at least a safe choice.

Well, this thread already gave me a kind of analysis paralysis, but some great advices and suggestions too :)

One thing I know that whatever speakers I choose they won't turn me into a great mixer overnight.

recursive one wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:46 pm Some say that Adams tend to have over-pronounced high end, which probably means they are not the right speakers for me because I tend to be oversensitive to the top-end harshness and it will drive me to make things more soft and smooth than needed.
For sure, that's the love and hate part, you may appreciate it at one point, but it may drive you crazy to have it there all the time, so it's not bad to have one of those solutions next to your main workhorse, even smaller cheaper second hand ones and just flip to them occasionally for the instant info they give you.
Some say that LYD series tend to sound overly "analytical". Not sure what that means, probably too detailed sound, not enough "cohesiveness" - if so, it will probably harder to make proper placement of the instruments in the mix and get good groove/flow and I think my imperfect room won't let me fully enjoy their precision. Everybody says good things BM5 mkIII which probably means they are at least a safe choice.
BM5A's are good choice, especially if you are used to KRK sound, having monitors that engage you in them once you nail the mix isn't most inviting way to make music, you will learn whatever you got anyways, you did learn your current pair and your music and mixes sound great.

Just ordered a pair of Dynaudio Bm5 MkIII

:tu: I've always wanted a pair of them... but really find I can't justify the $$$s when my modular cries out for another module...
:oops:
;)

I recently looked for a similar sized room and budget.

Looked st all the usual suspects. Adam, focal, dybaudio, genelec etc

By far the best for me were the neumann kh120s. A league better than pretty much every 5" monitor, and bigger fines are wasted in a small space. Far better to add a sub to 5" drivers.

I did try the khs against shape 65 and adam ax7s, and the kh120s seemed better even in the low end not quite the extension by a free hz, but much better control.

Stero imaging and depth of soundstage was another level compared to either of those as well.

Do yourself a favour and at least add them to your "to try" list.

I auditioned these Neumanns in the store and they sounded really nice but i decided that for my music style and my room 7 inch woofers would be better than 5 inch and i didn't really want to get a separate sub. So i bought Dynaudio bm5 mk iii instead.

So far i really like them. i don't think they have too much bass for my room, just right.

So, do you still got them and if so, are you still pleased with them. I have LYD48's and an 18S sub in my studio at home, but need a pair of decent monitors at work as well.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”