Korg releases Korg Triton VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

Triton seems pretty reasonable, sound-wise, but then I love my M1 and WS! Can't afford it right now but it's in my wish-list (le sigh). This is not a cheap hobby!

As to the UI, I had diabetic retinopathy and am blind in one eye and impaired in the other. I use Windows Magnifier set to 500% and the UI size stops being an issue. Hooray for technology!
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Guitarist9891 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:05 amNow if Roland would just make an xp30 plugin I would be happy. I used to use that combination for years - triton + xp30.
There's JV-1080 plugin that can pretty much do all that XP-30 could and more. XP-30 is basically an offspring of JV-1080.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:46 am
Guitarist9891 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:05 amNow if Roland would just make an xp30 plugin I would be happy. I used to use that combination for years - triton + xp30.
There's JV-1080 plugin that can pretty much do all that XP-30 could and more. XP-30 is basically an offspring of JV-1080.

Oh that’s cool. Gotta check it out. I found it on the Roland website in “Roland cloud” - does that mean it’s subscription only and you can’t own the license?

Not sure if this has been covered in the 44 previous pages (though I read several and didn't see it mentioned), but what, exactly, sets Korg's "Hyper Integrated synthesis system" (or "HISS" for short :wink: ) apart from being "just another ROMpler"? What's so "hyper" integrated, and where is the "synthesis"?

Please, don't @me--ROMplers are great and I have 3 myself. But Korg doesn't explain what HISS is on the site, and there was nothing of any use on vintagesynth.com, or a general Google search, either. All I've seen so far is that the Triton had 48 kHz samples, instead of the more common 44.1 kHz ones.

Korg's own "Basic Guide" says this: "The HI (Hyper Integrated) synthesis system is a PCM
tone generator system with full digital signal processing that guarantees pristine sound, and featuring [sic] enormous flexibility in musical extensibility, modulation, and effect routing." In other words, a ROMpler.

And again, ROMplers are perfectly fine, but how is this "hyper" integrated? And "integrated" with what--the OS? The samples? The effects?

I'm not a troll, I'm just interested in this synth in general and synthesizer/sampler/ROMpler architecture more specifically. That's why I'm trying to find out what makes this different, or where the "synthesis" happens. And FWIW, I'm a loooongtime Korg owner, I've downloaded the demo, and I've been playing it and enjoying the sounds. I have nothing against the synth or the plug-in, I just want to know more about it--beyond the marketing buzzwords.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

It's all marketing hyperbole. It's pretty much just PCM + DSP. There is nothing unique going on under the hood.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Guitarist9891 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:38 amI found it on the Roland website in “Roland cloud” - does that mean it’s subscription only and you can’t own the license?
Yes, it's a subs only. The XP-30 also has the Session, Orchestral and Techno board installed. The SRX series cover all that, with a dedicated bank for each expansion. A devoted user has kindly translated all that. I remember my early setup which consist of just a Trinity Pro + JV-1080, both fully expanded and like I can do anything! Actually even now, using all the great plugins, nothing can replace the Prophecy board. Really want to have the full Trinity Pro, for those layer of Physical Modelling and the superb quality of ACCESS engine. Also a Triton + Z1 board. But I always feel that the Prophecy has more modjo, kinda thicker/fatter/raw sounding. It's amazing what we're able to do 25 years ago, just by using a workstation + a module. Later on I'm using the Karma + Moss board, again even now nothing can do a layer of both engine, especially with the Karma engine. It's going to be amazing if Korg would bring all those back, nothing dated with a combination of those engines. The Prophecy/Z1 sounds as modern and fresh even now, maybe too modern back then.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

@planetearth @Ben H

Frankly to say, the most interesting detail what i found in Triton engine during demo was certain mode in Panorama knob, for voices random distribution (uttermost knob position afair). And maybe not a bad choice of LFO forms (which anyway nothing to assign for). All rest looked as just basic modules.

I do not want to say that I did not like its sound however, but i mean, with high probability such basic design will really be difficult to worthley appreciate for a psychologically (nostalgically) unprepared user of any of the major software synths, compare with which (even freeware), here is not only no hyper-synthesis, but no synthesis at all.
The thing is really "for fan" heh.
Last edited by c_voltage on Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben H wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:34 am It's all marketing hyperbole. It's pretty much just PCM + DSP. There is nothing unique going on under the hood.
This seems to be a trend with Korg (I have the M3 module, which has a marketing name for the “synthesis” there as well) and other sample-player keyboards and modules...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Yeah, they were all doing it at the time.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:33 am
Ben H wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:34 am It's all marketing hyperbole. It's pretty much just PCM + DSP. There is nothing unique going on under the hood.
This seems to be a trend with Korg (I have the M3 module, which has a marketing name for the “synthesis” there as well) and other sample-player keyboards and modules...
c_voltage wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:27 am @planetearth @Ben H

Frankly to say, the most interesting detail what i found in Triton engine during demo was certain mode in Panorama knob, for voices random distribution (uttermost knob position afair). And maybe not a bad choice of LFO forms (which anyway nothing to assign for). All rest looked as just basic modules.
That's more or less what I thought. And while there are some cool sounds in it, there's really nothing terribly interesting about the "synthesis" (read: "sample playback"). The MOSS option may add some flavor to how things sound when you play them, but you're still just playing back samples--albeit, at 48 kHz. And as an option, it's not "Hyper Integrated" into...well, whatever.

And while there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's a shame Korg had to rely on what amounts to the "smoke and mirrors" of "Hyper Integrated" whateveritis. I have the rest of the Korg DLC, and I love the M1, the WaveStation, and the rest. But they don't pretend to be more than what they are.

While I'm asking about the TRITON (and yes, Korg's rather pretentious use of ALL CAPS for the name is a bit silly), is there no way to limit an instrument's keyboard range if it's in a Program? For example, the "Sax Ensemble" (INIT-A 013) has two alto saxes in OSC 1, and a tenor and a soprano sax in OSC 2. But there doesn't seem to be a way to keep the saxes from playing outside of their real-world ranges, which makes for some useless sounds in the lower and upper regions. Otherwise, I still think the plug-in is cool, and the TRITON (you can almost hear it SCREAMING the name at you) sounds like it was a good, useful workstation/ROMpler.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I hate products and brands with forced ALL-CAPS.

Maybe the sample-player engine name marketing is an attempt to pretend it isn’t what it actually is. On the Korg M3, the sample playback “engine” isn’t fully configurable in that I cannot choose to play ROM samples at lower than their native sample rate, making the ROM set useless for the ancient technique of getting “otherworldly” sounds via slowed-down sample playback.

Edit: which made me feel like they didn’t understand what they were developing (a sample-player).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

planetearth wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:15 amI love the M1, the WaveStation, and the rest. But they don't pretend to be more than what they are.
I love Wavestation even more with these, pure WS goodness https://youtu.be/Jxlc82XlexQ
https://youtu.be/6o81bECtRjA
It's cool that the D-50 plugin got some new samples and presets. Hopefully Wavestation will get it as well, but not in a Wavestate (modern) direction. Just some gritty small sized samples, with newer patches in the old Wavestation sytle, matching the above quality. Wavestate is going to be another cool plugin one day. So we may have two different styles to play with. As a long time owner of the original Wavestation/EX/SR, I really love the old school character. Maybe some additional filters and fxs/Reverb with a more hardware like quality and a fresh newer GUI, but please don't change the sound character to the crisp - harsh modern style. Way more prefer it to stay elegant, magical and glorious as what it is.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

planetearth wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:15 amAnd while there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's a shame Korg had to rely on what amounts to the "smoke and mirrors" of "Hyper Integrated" whateveritis. I have the rest of the Korg DLC, and I love the M1, the WaveStation, and the rest. But they don't pretend to be more than what they are.
Well, M1 had AI synthesis ("Advanced Integrated"). But this is not where they started with marketing monikers... It's all a pretty normal thing in hardware realm, even in some software too.

<delete>

If anyone's interested, I made a short video with both the original and recreated sounds in one of the original demos "Deep Cut".
https://youtu.be/Xhjae4iZgm0

Return to “Instruments”