Reason Block - the one function that makes all the difference

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm just coming back to Reason (after having had left it for the (pre V11) lack of audioclip-crossfading) so I read through a few SOS articles on Reason, hoping I would learn something I didn't know yet - and boy did I!

I grew up with pattern-based/nonlinear (MIDI-) sequencing, so the concept certainly isn't new to me and I really like some aspects of it - yet with every DAW I tried (Cubase's Playlist, Studio One's Arranger, Reason's Block, Reaper's Regions) , it's mostly useless to me personally,
because:

From having played in countless bands over the course of many years, I have learned that sequenced transitions between song-sections often do not sound natural to me because they simply are not at all.

It sounds like a cut, a switch, a hard edge.

Performed music is not like that. There the transistions start a few beats or even bars before the actual section change. At the section change, they are often not completely finished either. And for this reason you can get away with much more diverse transitions if they are performed, than if they are sequenced based on sections/patterns - and I learnt that because of this dealing with e.g. Studio One's Arranger just isn't worth it for me as fighting the shortcoming takes a lot more effort than not using it at all in the first place.

(And I said as much when this feature was added several years ago and since then nothing has changed.)

So now coming back to Reason:

I don't know why I never tried this myself, but reading through the SOS article on Blocks I learnt than Song-mode you can add and record Clips over the greyed out block based ones and those have a higher priority. That's fantastic! :hail: :shock: :hail:

That's such an elegant solution to the problem. You can start Building your song based on Blocks, and whereever a transition isn't smooth, you add stuff on top of it a) without having to change/edit your actual Blocks (i.e. sections) and b) in song-mode it's super easy to spot where you added stuff that's not part of the Blocks. If you e.g. want to make a looped drum-rhythm more natural by adding breaks here and there, you'll see exactly where you put them with one quick glance in song-mode. If you want to try a slightly different rhythm, you can do that in Block-mode and still can leave the breaks where they are. Want to add a different ending in one certain bar to a guitar pattern that keeps repeating? Just record it in song-mode - yadda yadda.
I have never seen a nearly as elegant combination of linear and pattern-based sequencing. It's absolutely brilliant. And I had no idea until a couple of days ago. :dog:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:46 pmYou've never seen this video? :o
https://youtu.be/I6UFCdD4Lyk

Indeed, it's one of the many great features in Reason, even though it's not perfect and was never updated since its introduction (e.g. you can't overlap blocks, can't easily copy / duplicate one block to another , the visual representation is flaved in that it's very faint and hard to make out the details).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I have seen this video, but the function I am Talking about isn't mentioned or shown there.

As far as I am able to visually follow the arragement (blurryness and all) all the material sits either in Blocks or on the Song timeline. This thread is about something else though.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:33 pm I have seen this video, but the function I am Talking about isn't mentioned or shown there.

As far as I am able to visually follow the arragement (blurryness and all) all the material sits either in Blocks or on the Song timeline. This thread is about something else though.
Watch it again. They even show it visually around 3:30 :)

Music tech enthusiast

I almost don't get it even though I know what to look out for. :help:

He seems to mention it shortly after 3:30 but then proceeds to do that chopping-up-the-block thing instead. There's no Point where you can clearly see him doing it or or hear him talking about putting a clip in song mode on a track that at the same time carries an active clip in Block mode. And it's exactly that Song-beats-Block priority where the magic is. The word "priority" isn't even muttered once in the video. Frankly put, they messed up - luckily there's Soundonsound. I think I really need to put my money where my mouth is in regards to SOS.

So to explain for everyone else who might be interested what the Video does not really show:

If you use a Block in Song mode, all the clip content - be it MIDI or audio - within the Block is greyed out. You can not edit it.
To do that you need to switch to Block mode. However at any point within the timeline you can add clips of any length on any track and for the duration of this clip it will be played back instead of the content of the Block. It will not be greyed out and will be editable.

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:14 pm
Watch it again. They even show it visually around 3:30 :)

They don't actually. This clip they seem to lift from the timeline (as shown on your screenshot) sits on an otherwise empty track. There is no underlying Block content on that very track.

Watch it again. :razz:

jens wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:46 pmThey don't actually. This clip they seem to lift from the timeline (as shown on your screenshot) sits on an otherwise empty track. There is no underlying Block content on that very track.
Ah, you're right - he says that, but never shows it, even though the screenshot I gave above clearly depicts the priority of "layers" - whatever's on top is getting played.

I must've get that info from this other video around 1:20, then:

https://youtu.be/8OPlD4N11vM
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:13 pm e.g. you can't overlap blocks, can't easily copy / duplicate one block to another
What do you mean with duplicate one Block to another? You can simply select the Block you want from your list of Blocks and that's it. Nonetheless: if you duplicate (crtl+D or crtl+drag) a Block it basically reacts like a clip.
the visual representation is flaved in that it's very faint and hard to make out the details).
That's on purpose and I find it perfect as it is. Otherwise it would start to get confusing. It's non-edtiable content after all. If you want to see the details you can simply switch over to the Block mode.
Last edited by jens on Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:58 pm
I must've get that info from this other video around 1:20, then:

https://youtu.be/8OPlD4N11vM
Yes, much better! I never saw this one before.

jens wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 pmWhat do you mean with duplicate one Block to another? You can simply select the Block you want from your list of Blocks and that's it. Nonetheless: if you duplicate (crtl+D) a Block it basically reacts like a clip.
Oh, I mean if I have a block called "verse 1" and want to have another one called "verse 2" which is a slight variation of the earlier one, then I can't easilly duplicate existing block to an empty slot. I have to go to "verse 1", select all the clips across all the tracks, copy them, go to new block, set my playhead position and paste everything. It's a minor thing, but I've no idea how it was overlooked :)

jens wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 pmThat's on purpose and I find it perfect as it is. Otherwise it would start to get confusing. It's non-edtiable content after all. If you want to see the details you can simply switch over to the Block mode.
Well, obviously that's very individual thing but I'd love there to be a bit more contrast, because like this you get very little info about what's happening in other tracks where clips are not overlaid on top of Blocks material. They should still remain gray, but a bit darker perhaps?

Music tech enthusiast

Yes, I must admit I wouldn't mind that. Perhaps it would be best if the gradient could be set by the user. But then again they try to do the opposite of Reaper - as little optiins as possible - and I love that. So yes, I guess just making it a bit darker might do the trick.

Anyway, I still stand by what I said: Blocks are super powerful and in my opinion by far the best interaction/combination of linear and non-linear sequencing that I have ever encoutered. Basically, they nailed it.

Arranger track in Cubase knocks Reasons blocks completely out of the water on every possible level if that type of song construction is what you're looking for. Blocks is a pita imo.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:43 pm Arranger track in Cubase knocks Reasons blocks completely out of the water on every possible level if that type of song construction is what you're looking for. Blocks is a pita imo.
Sorry, but saying that means completely ignoring what this thread is about!

*The type of song construction" that Cubase's Arranger track provides is not at all what I am looking for and that is the actual point of this thread.

Heck, it's even in the thread title, for crying out loud.
Last edited by jens on Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”