M-Audio Expression Pedal & Efektor WF3607

Official support for: kuassa.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi I wondered if I can control the pedal parameter with the above expression pedal via my keyboard's sustain in? I DO NOT want to have to build one with an Arduino board.

Can it be done just with the keyboard and the pedal in Logic Pro X

Many Thanks

sustain in - probably not, but it depends on what kind of sustain in you have. most cheaper keyboards have a "mono" sustain in (TS), which means it accepts only "on-off" type pedals. if it's a "stereo" sustain in (TRS), then it'll probably work. i don't know for sure though. but, if it doesn't, there's that Arduino board option... :D

i use Line6 FBV Exress MKII, and it's been awesome and sturdy.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

It's a Yamaha Np12... Where would I find out if it's stereo or mono?

Burillo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:20 pm sustain in - probably not, but it depends on what kind of sustain in you have. most cheaper keyboards have a "mono" sustain in (TS), which means it accepts only "on-off" type pedals. if it's a "stereo" sustain in (TRS), then it'll probably work. i don't know for sure though. but, if it doesn't, there's that Arduino board option... :D

i use Line6 FBV Exress MKII, and it's been awesome and sturdy.
So the Line 6 is set up how? Sorry for the basic questions...

it's feeding my DAW automation using MIDI signals if i'm using a DAW, and is fed directly into Revalver if i'm using standalone.

according to NP12 manual: https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com ... TO2AUS.pdf

the NP12's sustain connector is "half-damper compatible", which means it should accept the MIDI expression pedal just fine.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Thank you sir!

Me again...
So I tried the pedal, and the pedal itself is kind of semi working in Logic. In the fact that it does control stuff... It does not work with the WF3607... Unless I am missing something? If I use the learn parameter inside the plugin, nothing happens at all...

If I load the stock Logic pedalboard and click on the function (lets say pedal position) and then set up via Control Surfaces> Control Assignments and click learn, it recognises the pedal. But... Its pretty much off and on, its not a full smooth movement. An example, if it was 1-10, 1 being pedal open, 10 pedal closed, it just goes 1 to 10 and not 1,2,3,4.....10 etc.

It also works similar if I use the automation fucntion, but just 2 values 0 and 127 no incremental automation.

It might be worth pointing out that in the controller assignment panel it shows channel 1 and value 64. Hope this all makes sense?

Any thoughts on how to first set it up and secondly how to get it working with the WF3607??? Or should I just bin it?

you can't use the "learn" parameter inside the plugin - that will only work if you are sending MIDI data to the plugin directly (i.e. you're using your pedal as a MIDI input). what you want is instead learn the Wah filter automation parameter to the MIDI pedal, in Logic. you seem to have figured out how to do that already, but...

...it appears that either the pedal is doing something different from what i was expecting, or your keyboard is not recognizing the fact that it's a continuous MIDI CC pedal and not an on-off switch. perhaps the MIDI expression pedal works differently after all. sorry, never tried any of this myself :/

so, it looks like you've taken it as far as it can be taken, and this is indeed a dead end.

A 'Sustain In' or foot switch input will only work as an on/off switch. You would need something with an Expression input, which can receive a continuous control.
You could add an expression input to your setup with something like this: https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php
You could also use something like our Pacer foot controller, which provides 10 assignable Stomp Switches (on/off) and two assignable expression inputs (continuous).

off topic, but wow, Pacer is now on my radar! i was going to get something like Helix Control, but Pacer would fit the bill and is a third cheaper!

Some basic steps in a few DAW's that could help you sending midi messages to the Wah Plugin.
In this case I'm using the Arduino pedal as a midi input device, but same should work with any other midi controller.
See if your keyboard could accept midi volume expression from your sustain input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCtyXALEcOk
and another one in Reaper how to record the automation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGTzt2Ktg5Q

Return to “Kuassa”