RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

It woudl be great if the mseg could modulate/fade between layers ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

parawave wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:26 pm
Mik_lo wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:01 pm Any update on an update? Gagging for msegs, if they're coming, please, and thanks. Xxx
First message in 2020. It was time.

Now, to give a little insight. The plans for the following updates are not carved in stone yet. The list of possible features is huge, we'll see what fits the best and do a bit of experimentation.

MSEG and Granular oscillator are two good candidates for features. We're going trough a few concepts right now.

About MSEG. Since a lot of shapes can already be achieved with the step sequences, we want to build something more special. Something that will not replace sequences, but extend on it. Not sure how extensive they will be. There is a lot of possibilities to consider.
In the meantime, if you have any suggestion about the editing and functionality of MSEGs: We'll listen to any ideas and consider them.
Sale anytime soon?

tdm71 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:20 pm Sale anytime soon?
Rapid was about 40% off during the Christmas season. That's where I got mine.
Guess there'll be no sale soon.

All this talk about msegs... I love it, I'm actually writing an article about msegs
I wouldn't want the performance sequencer replaced either, msegs are a little different

a few synths to look at with good msegs/custom lfos: pigments, serum, gatekeeper, and tantra
we can list off features, curves, multiple points, beat sync
but one key thing is workflow and how it feels to use the mseg.

I'll go into more detail in my article which I will gladly send to parawave if they want some ideas

but for now I'll just express what is in my opinion the biggest feature missing from Rapid:
-control all layers
It would be awesome to have either a keyboard shortcut or mode to control all 8 layers in rapid at once
this wouldn't be for performance or automation, the macros are there for that, it would be for making minor tweaks across layered patches

like if you wanted to have a shorter decay across 8 layers, rather than clicking through each layer adjusting the decay, you could hold alt and adjust the decay on one, and they'd all follow

if parawave is interested in this idea, I have a few other ideas to go with it. Until then the mseg talk gives me a good reason to get back to my writing again
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

+1 for reaction databroth!

one more +1 for @databroth "control all layers" proposal.
edit: using e.g. "hold alt"
Last edited by nordickvr on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

databroth wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:02 am like if you wanted to have a shorter decay across 8 layers, rather than clicking through each layer adjusting the decay, you could hold alt and adjust the decay on one, and they'd all follow
Hi there and thanks for the ideas. Did you take a look at the bottom of the master-page? There are modifier. They are controling the parameters on each layer.

Mirko R. wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:15 am
databroth wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:02 am like if you wanted to have a shorter decay across 8 layers, rather than clicking through each layer adjusting the decay, you could hold alt and adjust the decay on one, and they'd all follow
Hi there and thanks for the ideas. Did you take a look at the bottom of the master-page? There are modifier. They are controling the parameters on each layer.
Yes, these control all layer at the same time.

What are your thoughts about being able to fade between layers (with vector XY or modulation?)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

@Mirko R. "Did you take a look at the bottom of the master-page? There are modifier"

yes, I am aware of that, but that is only for a select amount of controls, I would like to have this option for ALL controls, the easiest way would be with a keyboard shortcut.

I should have chose a better example, like unison amount across all voices or lfo rate
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

Dombaeb wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:27 amGood to hear it! Actually, I want to have the ability to make any shape in a visual way and apply it to any parameter so I need just a wave-looking customizable MSEG. Like in Serum (sorry for that mainstream comparison, but Duda did a really good job when he combines LFO and MSEG in one versatile essence, there are no differences between LFO and MSEG, you can apply pre-edited shapes and draw yours at the same window, it's beautiful!).

For me, the lack of MSEG is the only reason why Rapid can't replace all other wavetable synths. The step sequencer is good but please don't make MSEG as Step Sequencer extension, MSEG should be a one-stop point to draw and apply custom shapes. Let musicians just do modulation that they have in their heads without jumping from tab to tab!)
Yes of course! The ability to draw custom shapes will be the basic requirement for MSEGs.
Take this example, maybe it's a bit clearer what was meant:
The initial sequence preset consist of 16 step ramps. Placing different shapes gives you the ability to quickly design a "sequence". Now, it would be kind of redundant if users would use the MSEG for the exact same purpose, only with a slower workflow. That's why we want the MSEGs to be inherently different. This means there has to be something special. I mean: You probably don't want to rebuild a sine as MSEG shape just to create an LFO. There are LFOs for that!
Therefore, what is the speciallity of MSEGS? Is it about finicky details? Is it about performance control? Or is it about rhythms outside the synced grid?
SLiC wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 amAny thoughts on the idea of being able to automate x fading between layers why just a couple of automatable XY joysticks on the main page? It seems like such an obvious use of layers (there are a few posts on this if you read back). Looking forward to whatever we get!
Sounds interesting but a bit vague.
So in the end only 1 layer is playing, using the other layer parameters as source, blending between the values? Hm, a bit hard to implement. It's basically a form of global modifier (like the master page ones). Or is there more to it? Hard to grasp the details. But I think the fact that you could emulate it in the DAW is a sign that it's one level above regular modulation and some kind of performance modulator feature. Parameter state blending?
databroth wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:02 am All this talk about msegs... I love it, I'm actually writing an article about msegs
I wouldn't want the performance sequencer replaced either, msegs are a little different
I'll go into more detail in my article which I will gladly send to parawave if they want some ideas.
Go on. Any idea is welcome. Though I have to say: We all know the basics of MSEGs. It's all about the point and shape editing. Nothing new there. We're more interested in additional ideas and the fine details, unique functions that makes live easier. There are two perspectives to that:

1. What is my dream MSEG:
Everyone would probably name countless features and ideas. Some are important, others kind of unnecessary.The thing is: Will it be a coherent UX design if we put everything in? Would it be fast to work with? Probably not. We have to distill it.

2. Build me 1000 MSEGS:
What if I gave you the task to build thousand unique and actually useful MSEG presets?
I can assure you: After 100 you would be VERY tired and have multiple things that you constantly repeat over and over. The important question: How to eliminate that repetition and make it more enjoyable and easier to reach the thousand mark?
databroth wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:02 am ..
but for now I'll just express what is in my opinion the biggest feature missing from Rapid:
-control all layers
It would be awesome to have either a keyboard shortcut or mode to control all 8 layers in rapid at once...
this wouldn't be for performance or automation, the macros are there for that, it would be for making minor tweaks across layered patches

like if you wanted to have a shorter decay across 8 layers, rather than clicking through each layer adjusting the decay, you could hold alt and adjust the decay on one, and they'd all follow

if parawave is interested in this idea, I have a few other ideas to go with it. Until then the mseg talk gives me a good reason to get back to my writing again
It was mentioned before. But yes: For volume and filter, the quick modifier on the master page are exactly for that.
To be honest: I can't think of many things you want to control over eight layers. In most cases you want the values to be different! One question. Would the parameter movement be relative to the current value, or absolute? e.g.
  • 1. Layer, Volume 80%.
  • 2. Layer, Volume 100%.
We are on layer 1 and hold the "link" key-combination. Let's say CTRL + A. Turn Volume to 50%. Is layer 2 volume set to 70% or to 50%? Opinions on that?

Maybe merge the msegs with the adsr envelopes which are already here? Like you click on attack or decay etc, and then you can draw your own custom curve for this stage, with multiple breakpoints and such?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

parawave wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:46 pm
Therefore, what is the speciallity of MSEGS? Is it about finicky details? Is it about performance control? Or is it about rhythms outside the synced grid?
I think it would be nice to make an ability to automatically morph (or even modulate!) existing points. Actually, MSEG is a waveform, so you can add "organic drift" feature with customizable (or even modulated!) speed to it.

Jesus...It would be a really useful MSEG improvement.

The ability to X modulate between layers would give some powerful FM options.

Some enhancements to the resynth playback mode would be cool

parawave wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:46 pm ...
To be honest: I can't think of many things you want to control over eight layers. In most cases you want the values to be different!
I get you point but,
...Would the parameter movement be relative to the current value, or absolute? e.g.
  • 1. Layer, Volume 80%.
  • 2. Layer, Volume 100%.
We are on layer 1 and hold the "link" key-combination. Let's say CTRL + A. Turn Volume to 50%. Is layer 2 volume set to 70% or to 50%? Opinions on that?
let's say you'd decide to implement this functionality.
I'd propose to add, e.g., the "shift key" to get the relative behaviour.

parawave wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:46 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 amAny thoughts on the idea of being able to automate x fading between layers why just a couple of automatable XY joysticks on the main page? It seems like such an obvious use of layers (there are a few posts on this if you read back). Looking forward to whatever we get!
Sounds interesting but a bit vague. So in the end only 1 layer is playing, using the other layer parameters as source, blending between the values? Hm, a bit hard to implement. It's basically a form of global modifier (like the master page ones). Or is there more to it? Hard to grasp the details. But I think the fact that you could emulate it in the DAW is a sign that it's one level above regular modulation and some kind of performance modulator feature. Parameter state blending?
No- I was thinking far simpler! Just like the joystick on a Korg Wavesation, you can mix between layers (mix volume) - you would have 2 joysticks as you have 8 layers - if the joysticks can be automated you can get some great movement. You have already implemented it with volume sliders, joysticks (as everyone klnows) are more fun and sexier :D

Return to “Instruments”