Studio One future?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

oneway wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:52 pm Well, you could check back in a couple years and you'll find out, won't you?

The people I see getting "peeled off" of creative DAWs like FL Studio and Ableton are leaving because they just can't record and edit audio properly when they need to add vocals to their session. And real commercially successful songs have vocals.

If you offer those people a way to do that well (already have it) and a doesn't-get-in-the-way creative workflow (they're still ironing that out) then you're gold. I think they're going to flesh out the Pattern System instead of clip Launchers and stuff. They just made it so you can save and share and recall patterns- doubt they're gonna launch ANOTHER non-linear aspect of the program.
are you stuck in time? FL Studio has audio editing and recording on par with other daws. And had for quite while now.

roman.i wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:02 pmCubase also has this feature, but I was talking about the MIDI chord editor:
Yeah, this was heavilly expanded upon in 4.5 that added new stuff to Actions and dedicated Macros for MIDI manipulation. For example:

https://youtu.be/Qs5rqM5CSY8
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

AFAIK Cubase does not have ''polyphonic audio follow chords'' feature like in S1.
Like take a guitar chord sample in C Minor and with follow chords option you can for example make it E Major in S1

Elektronisch wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:40 pm
oneway wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:52 pm Well, you could check back in a couple years and you'll find out, won't you?

The people I see getting "peeled off" of creative DAWs like FL Studio and Ableton are leaving because they just can't record and edit audio properly when they need to add vocals to their session. And real commercially successful songs have vocals.

If you offer those people a way to do that well (already have it) and a doesn't-get-in-the-way creative workflow (they're still ironing that out) then you're gold. I think they're going to flesh out the Pattern System instead of clip Launchers and stuff. They just made it so you can save and share and recall patterns- doubt they're gonna launch ANOTHER non-linear aspect of the program.
are you stuck in time? FL Studio has audio editing and recording on par with other daws. And had for quite while now.
I wouldn't say that. It has some of the audio features but in general they are clunky as hell to use in comparison to S1, ProTools or Logic imo. I would never record audio vocals in FLStudio if I can avoid it.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Elektronisch wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:40 pm are you stuck in time? FL Studio has audio editing and recording on par with other daws. And had for quite while now.
They just added a take/comping system in, what, version 20? It’s great that they’re finally doing it but that system is definitely not as mature as Logic, Cubase, or Pro Tools in that regard.

When I ask people why they switched (even recently) or keep a dual install with PT or Cubase or Logic, “better vocal comping workflow” is the answer. This isn’t being “stuck in time”, the last person I talked to about this was 6 months ago.

andypryce wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:17 pm AFAIK Cubase does not have ''polyphonic audio follow chords'' feature like in S1.
Like take a guitar chord sample in C Minor and with follow chords option you can for example make it E Major in S1
Oh, true, it is monophonic only. I don’t know how popular that feature is though with composers, they designed it as more of a prototyping tool. I use it a lot as an effect but it doesn’t usually come out sounding organic (wouldn’t expect it to).

Chord Pads and the rest of the composition tools are definitely head and shoulders above Studio One for the time being. The note actions were a step in the right direction but I wish they didn’t ignore how many of the FRs they “closed” with those asked for real time feedback of those like in FL Studio’s piano roll.

I have no problems recording or comping vocals in Live. Can’t speak about FLS. I have S1 but have no idea in what direction it’s headed other than piling on features.

jonljacobi wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:24 pm I have no problems recording or comping vocals in Live. Can’t speak about FLS.
Many don't, I know a recording engineer who is fast as hell in Pro Tools and doesn't use the playlist system, just does it as if it was in Ableton or whatever. Works for him!

I can see me saying "properly" threw some people. I'm talking "properly" in comparison to Pro Tools, Logic, and Cubase. I'm sure Ableton will finish it eventually, but there isn't a pressing need for it since it's so easy to just run Logic or PT for that. So if people need a sophisticated take/layer comping system with all the helper functions that come with it, they often end up with a second DAW.

oneway wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:52 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:24 pm I have no problems recording or comping vocals in Live. Can’t speak about FLS.
Many don't, I know a recording engineer who is fast as hell in Pro Tools and doesn't use the playlist system, just does it as if it was in Ableton or whatever. Works for him!

I can see me saying "properly" threw some people. I'm talking "properly" in comparison to Pro Tools, Logic, and Cubase. I'm sure Ableton will finish it eventually, but there isn't a pressing need for it since it's so easy to just run Logic or PT for that. So if people need a sophisticated take/layer comping system with all the helper functions that come with it, they often end up with a second DAW.
Live could certainly make it easier, and I never thought I would say this, but now that I'm used to it, I actually prefer doing it inline now. Consolidating unlooped takes is a pain for sure, but as kluged as the method is, it's still fast.

When I have to use lanes in other DAWs, I actually get irritated. Especially when I'm trying to comp vocals to match another vocal track. It's very nice to have that comped track snug up against the one I'm now comping, not separated by lanes.

But it's all good. I'm definitely of the opinion that everyone should find what works for them and do that.

Gebus. I really side-tracked this.

I think Studio One's future is bright, but limited in a world with so much competition. I'd really like to see them visually simplify the interface, and compartmentalize functionality. One of the things I always liked about it was the mastering portion.

antic604 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:43 pm
roman.i wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:02 pmCubase also has this feature, but I was talking about the MIDI chord editor:
Yeah, this was heavilly expanded upon in 4.5 that added new stuff to Actions and dedicated Macros for MIDI manipulation.
There's a lot of useful stuff for audio and MIDI manipulation hidden under the "Macros" button which isn't the most obvious place to look for them. A quicker way to input chords would have been nice. SO will actually show you what chord you're playing when you hold down the notes on a MIDI keyboard, but there's no easy way to save that to the piano roll editor. I usually end up just manually counting semitones and paint in the notes individually.

Isn't it No.2 popular DAW assuming from the recent musicradar poll? I think they are doing alright.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:02 am
antic604 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:43 pm
Yeah, this was heavilly expanded upon in 4.5 that added new stuff to Actions and dedicated Macros for MIDI manipulation.
There's a lot of useful stuff for audio and MIDI manipulation hidden under the "Macros" button which isn't the most obvious place to look for them. A quicker way to input chords would have been nice. SO will actually show you what chord you're playing when you hold down the notes on a MIDI keyboard, but there's no easy way to save that to the piano roll editor. I usually end up just manually counting semitones and paint in the notes individually.
There’s a whole well-thought-out Step Record mode but it’s not immediately obvious where it is and if you couldn’t assign it to keyboard shortcuts I would never use it :/

Sort of reminds me of how the Note Actions really missed an opportunity to be as convenient as the ones in FL Studio’s piano roll. They’re in menu 3/5 of one of three macro toolbars.

If you're not familiar with Joe Gilder, he's a mixer/singer/songwriter that does a lot of YouTube videos and has used S1 and Presonus hardware for several years now. He recently joined the Presonus team specifically to work around and promote S1. Anyway, he released a couple videos that give some interesting insight.

I wouldn't recommend watching all of them (unless you really want to), but the gist of them is:

* He paraphrases that S1 has become larger than Presonus had even anticipated and they're focusing on it heavily

* They want user feedback (part of why they hired him)

* In one of the videos he mentioned the number of activations S1 is getting (can't remember if it was daily, weekly or month), but the stat was pretty impressive. Whether that's primarily because of bundled licenses or not (probably a good bit of it) it at least shows a lot of people are checking it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWQorRVy45g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKBoTXDKRf4

I'm personally a big fan of S1, but still use Ableton as well for some production, then mix and master in S1. Excited to see how they continue to improve it.

oneway wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:40 pm
andypryce wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:17 pm AFAIK Cubase does not have ''polyphonic audio follow chords'' feature like in S1.
Oh, true, it is monophonic only. I don’t know how popular that feature is though with composers, they designed it as more of a prototyping tool. I use it a lot as an effect but it doesn’t usually come out sounding organic (wouldn’t expect it to).
Not sure what you mean here. It actually works extremely well and can tailor the note follow on chords for audio or midi in different modes. So if you designate a track as bass it will pick the most logical way to play a bass part for that chord track. It's actually quite impressive imo.

The other day I had an 808 type bass sample I dropped in manually in correlation to the kick. I was too lazy to pitch it up and down or to assign it to a sampler. I just detected the original key of the sample and had it follow the chord track using Bass as the follow setting. Instant 808 melody and all I have to worry about is the rhythm.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

sl1200mk2 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:59 pmIf you're not familiar with Joe Gilder, he's a mixer/singer/songwriter that does a lot of YouTube videos and has used S1 and Presonus hardware for several years now. He recently joined the Presonus team specifically to work around and promote S1. Anyway, he released a couple videos that give some interesting insight.
Seen that and was familiar with his work before it, but there's something I don't really like about this guy and I can't put my finger on it. His videos seem pretty chaotic and it doesn't help he can't seem to focus on one thing: there was this "one minute tips" series, tehn it was replaced by a "series" about mixing and now it's "getting started in S1" but none of them seems finished or concluded and are kinda random...

In contrast, I really liked the one with Gregor from a month or so ago, where he went through majority of S1 featues in 20 short, focused episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... y2IUIEVhlB
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”