MIDI Program Changes with Arturia Synths?

Official support for: arturia.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can you change presets using MIDI Program Change messages? I see no way to do this. I currently only own Buchla Easel and Pigments but I thought for sure this must be possible...

Any info about this appreciated...

Arturia virtual instruments support program change if you add your presets to what the older versions called "playlists" and what, I think, the newer version call "songs." Each song is a bank, and each preset within it is a program.

However, if you have an Arturia Keylab keyboard and want to use traditional midi program change with another instrument, your options are very limited. They don't let you map the notched wheel in any mode, so you either have to use one of the faders or encoders (which is very impractical with 127 values) or map specific bank/program numbers to your pads or buttons (which only gives you 8 or 16 preset choices).

My workaround is an old midi utility called midiprogramchange by PizMIDI. You place this plugin in your chain before your instrument and them map two of your buttons to its "increment" and "decrement" parameters. That will then pass sequential program change messages to your instrument, allowing you to scroll through presets (assuming your instrument or your daw directly supports program change.)

I have no idea how you would do this if you were using the Keylab MkII as a controller for a physical instrument via MIDI out. As that ability is one of its selling points, either I'm missing something, or Arturia *really* missed something.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi, I have built a VST2 plug-in as work-around for this issue. It converts the Arturia default CC MIDI commands of the Preset knob to MIDI program changes.
Check it out at https://github.com/hrgraf/pizmidi (https://github.com/hrgraf/pizmidi) and let me know if it works for you!

in case the link is not shown, search on github for hrgraf/pizmidi

Can anyone using a keylab midi controller figure out what kind of message does the patch select knob send?
I own v-collection but not an arturia midi controller and I need to change patches without using my mouse, so I figure I could do a max for live device for that.

Return to “Arturia”