Beginner hardware synth

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,
Just got my Linnstrument a week ago and im having a blast :D .
This is pretty much my first foray into "electronic" stuff (guitar, trumpet player) and im looking into getting a hardware synth but, man, they can be quite expensive.

If anyone here could point me into some cheap-ish beginner synths (if it has mpe support that would be awesome as well) id gladly appreciate it. Was looking at the Hydrasynth but that price tag is a bit to much for me atm .

Cheers!

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Miicromonsta
https://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta/ (https://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta/)

Nice, that looks like a good place to start.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Bass Station 2 or some Behringer wysiwyg mono analog. All between 300-400€

Modal Craft 2.0 and SKULPT are very nice compact and fun machines, too.
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Nice, that SKULPT looks pretty good for the price.
Btw a completely newbish question but, can I program the linnstrument to change parameters in any hardware synth? With the x,y,z and cc faders?

sleep.totem wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:00 am Btw a completely newbish question but, can I program the linnstrument to change parameters in any hardware synth? With the x,y,z and cc faders?
Not all synths use CCs to change parameters, and those that do, don't necessarily support CC control of every parameter. In general, it's a good idea to download the documentation of any synth you're considering buying to see (among other things) what the MIDI control scheme is.

I would definitely try to get a synth that supported MPE, even if you need to pay a bit more.

You can find a list here: http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/ls-recom ... ounds.html

I recently got a Mordor NF1m which I think is pretty neat but the Hydrasynth desktop might be the way to go.

Just maybe worth spending a little more.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm I would definitely try to get a synth that supported MPE, even if you need to pay a bit more.

You can find a list here: http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/ls-recom ... ounds.html

I recently got a Mordor NF1m which I think is pretty neat but the Hydrasynth desktop might be the way to go.

I mentioned the SKULPT because it's pretty affordable and rumored to be getting MPE support eventually. I am holding onto mine, even though I'm not using it right now, for that very reason.
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

mrspiral wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:44 pm
BobDog wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm I would definitely try to get a synth that supported MPE, even if you need to pay a bit more.

I mentioned the SKULPT because it's pretty affordable and rumored to be getting MPE support eventually. I am holding onto mine, even though I'm not using it right now, for that very reason.
Yes im tempted to wait and maybe save some money and get a bigger one later instead of diving straight into a small one, also mpe support is a huge plus for me.
Decisions decisions! :o

Save up for the desktop hydrasynth, that would be my advice, but only if you like what you hear in hydrasynth demos.

SteveElbows wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:37 pm Save up for the desktop hydrasynth, that would be my advice, but only if you like what you hear in hydrasynth demos.
I agree with this advice. The price is outstanding for what you get, and personally I like what I hear in a lot of demos. One of the things that a lot of new owners* comment on is that the UI is really well done, making a rather elaborate synth architecture easy to get around and work with. I think this is an especially important consideration for someone new to synths. I also see a lot of very favorable comments on the build quality.

* (I don't own one -- it's on my radar, but I've gotten a couple of new synths in the last several months that I haven't done justice yet.)

I have a PreenFM2, it's not expensive and has a lot of programmability like all FM synths. It's small and easily portable with my LinnStrument, I can take it from room to room. It can load DX7 patches, which there are lots of. Just another option.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
I think ive decided to wait a bit and save up for the hydrasynth, mainly because its polyphonic and because from the videos and reading the manual, havig the layout of the osc, filters printed so clearly on the device itself is super usefull, at least to me.

Related question, what online store do you guys use to order stuff in europe (spain here)? Ive used thomann for all my other music related needs but was wondering if theres othere specialized stores that ship across the eu.

Thanks again everyone

I think that is a good idea, the Hydrasynth user interface is very good, I guess perfect for a beginner synth.

I got my desktop a few days a go, when I get a synth I immediately start going through the presets, usually I get to around the 20th preset before I think "ok lets not bother with the presets let me see what I can program up".

With the Hydrasynth though I am actually going through each preset and actually playing it, thinking for quite a few of them "ok I have an idea of how I can use this", or "I wonder how they do this", the only problem I have is that there are only 32 favourite patches you can store and I am already at half of that and only in the first bank of presets! This is the only synth apart from my DSI Poly Evolver that has made me act this way.

I think you have made a wise decision.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”