Studio One future?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think Presonus have been very clever with Studio One and will no doubt see further success.
  • They've added forward thinking features that are unique to their DAW.
  • They've created hardware (which usually increases brand loyalty/ satisfaction) in the form of the Atom and Faderport.
  • They are the only DAW on Splice rent to own and only DAW available to RTO full stop.
  • They have regular sales and give away cut down licenses with other purchases, the effect of which makes the second hand market for Studio One incredibly cheap thus allowing people to jump in cheaply making it an ideal starter or second DAW.
  • Let's not forget the DAW itself which is modern and expertly crafted.
Sure it has issues, like all DAWs, but if Presonus carry on the way they have been they should have no problem fighting for a top spot in the market (if they haven't got it already).
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Hoping for articulation maps and some UI cleanup / finessing. Still the ugliest DAW UI out there (besides Reaper of course but that’s a given). Performance with big templates needs to be improved as well.

5Lives wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:08 pm Hoping for articulation maps and some UI cleanup / finessing. Still the ugliest DAW UI out there (besides Reaper of course but that’s a given).
I've seen uglier. MuLab is super ugly for me, for example. FL Studio isn't exactly pretty either.

Studio One's GUI is... functional. And, first of all, it's clear, not as cramped as some other DAW's GUI's.

5Lives wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:08 pm Hoping for articulation maps and some UI cleanup / finessing. Still the ugliest DAW UI out there (besides Reaper of course but that’s a given). Performance with big templates needs to be improved as well.

People keep saying that but I actually think it's quite nice. It's functional, very readable and straightforward. Very little fluff. I've liked S1's UI since 2.x.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:52 pm
5Lives wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:08 pm Hoping for articulation maps and some UI cleanup / finessing. Still the ugliest DAW UI out there (besides Reaper of course but that’s a given). Performance with big templates needs to be improved as well.

People keep saying that but I actually think it's quite nice. It's functional, very readable and straightforward. Very little fluff. I've liked S1's UI since 2.x.
GUI is OKish for me. But needs a clean up for sure. Eventually it started to get crowded with each big number update with added functions. For me especially the colors needs an update. I prefer Logic's or Cubase's custom color palettes made by users. Easier on the eye and easier to distinguish which region/track is selected and which not. Hope for a color editor or more choices for V5

Lawrence’s color panel is a HUGE improvement - Presonus needs to add a color wheel by default and clean up the way clips are displayed in the arrangement window (especially that translucent setting - definitely needs higher contrast and opacity).

Perhaps the text is a little small on the transport bar, but otherwise the GUI is quite attractive... probably the best layout as well - the visibilty options on the mixer and inspector are nice to have. Sure, maybe the colors are nicer in Cubase and Logic, but they look clunky and not as streamlined.

IMO, S1 is trying to cover everything and not mastering a lot of it. And some of it is very basic.

Mixing:
Why no effect slots allowing spaces to be skipped so a user can organize how they see fit? I only have experience with Logic & Pro Tools, so maybe this is not available in most DAWs. Come from 2 that offered this, not having it is very inconvenient. Being able to activate & deactivate a particular effect type for all tracks, for example, is not possible without jumping through hoops.

Why are we still relying on a plugin for stereo panning? I still don't get the benefit of balancing over actual panning.

Creative:
I'm more about playing things in with keys & pads, but I've toyed with the Pattern Mode. Could be I'm not good with it versus folks being very familiar with FL pattern thing, but S1's version doesn't seem slick and feature rich.

Articulation maps is a genius feature by Logic. The composer side of me misses Logic.

I like a lot about S1, enough that I'm not seriously considering going back to Logic unless I can't work out why I'm getting crashes and my Komplete Kontrol disconnects almost daily. Aside from those problems, there's too much to like over Logic for my workflow. Macros is genius, for example. But some very basic things seemed to have been skipped over.

I'm cool with them trying to cover all bases along the way, not concentrating on any single element. But I'm hoping that sooner than later they address some basics that some long time users may be overlooking, not knowing what they're missing.

sl1200mk2 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:59 pm ...
* They want user feedback (part of why they hired him)
I'm sure they do, but they sure make it inconvenient. Their forum doesn't have a suggestion section. Instead, there's Presonus Answers. The title doesn't imply this is where suggestions should be made. Not sure how others found out, but I stumbled upon it through a Google search. It's not organized in any way that I can tell, so you have to ask a question, check the results, hope that your wording matches what's been suggested and vote it up. If nothing comes up, you ask a question and hope others vote it up. Ehhh!

Not Presonus' fault, but only over the top features get much support. Basics like stereo panning had maybe 5-6 votes when I voted.
5Lives wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:47 pm Lawrence’s color panel is a HUGE improvement - Presonus needs to add a color wheel by default and clean up the way clips are displayed in the arrangement window (especially that translucent setting - definitely needs higher contrast and opacity).
Yes!!! I've struggled with appearance settings but will be adding Lawrence's color panel this weekend. Another very basic thing that was overlooked. I can understand the limited color selection, I guess. But I can't think of a single reason why colors wouldn't be shown on a color wheel of some sort. What did they do, list colors in alphabetical order?
The groove baby, the groove...

Cartwheel wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:43 am Perhaps the text is a little small on the transport bar, but otherwise the GUI is quite attractive... probably the best layout as well - the visibilty options on the mixer and inspector are nice to have. Sure, maybe the colors are nicer in Cubase and Logic, but they look clunky and not as streamlined.
Can't speak for Cubase, but Logic can be made to look very clean. I do the same in S1, hide the browser, console, editor, left panel (forget what it's called) and anything else I'm not using at the moment. If I'm writing, I only show the Arranger, and hide/show the Editor when I need it. If I'm mixing, I show the Console full screen, hiding everything else, with the Arranger behind the Console.

Actually, S1's screen set up is almost identical to Logic's. Maybe not the finer details, but the screen types and what they generally show is very similar.

antic604 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:36 am Seen that and was familiar with his work before it, but there's something I don't really like about this guy and I can't put my finger on it.
Probably his laid back sloppy American style way of presenting things.

On contrast, Gregor seems typical German. :D And, yeah, I also prefer that. More on point, less useless stuff, more content.

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:06 pm Probably his laid back sloppy American style way of presenting things.

On contrast, Gregor seems typical German. :D And, yeah, I also prefer that. More on point, less useless stuff, more content.
Please, let's not blame that on him being American.

I couldn't tell you where either is from, but my favorites are Marcus Huyskens & Quanta.

BezO wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 pmWhy no effect slots allowing spaces to be skipped so a user can organize how they see fit? I only have experience with Logic & Pro Tools, so maybe this is not available in most DAWs. Come from 2 that offered this, not having it is very inconvenient.
Just drag the inserts in the mixer console up / down (or tabs right / left in the device chain window) to change the order. Much more convenient than having to plan ahead to leave gaps. Also, consider how many steps - at least in Cubase - you need to do to add 3 inserts when you only left one slot available? That's a ridiculous complaint, frankly...

More drag & drop goodness:

https://youtu.be/82I5_Zl7sAc

BezO wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 pmBeing able to activate & deactivate a particular effect type for all tracks, for example, is not possible without jumping through hoops.
I'm pretty sure you just Shift+select multiple tracks and you can perform actions on the same plugin in many channels (e.g. bypass a compressor). You can also use Groups for that.

BezO wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 pmI'm more about playing things in with keys & pads, but I've toyed with the Pattern Mode. Could be I'm not good with it versus folks being very familiar with FL pattern thing, but S1's version doesn't seem slick and feature rich.
So you have no idea how to use it, but you're certain it "doesn't seem slick and feature rich"? That doesn't add up...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

BezO wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:29 pmI couldn't tell you where either is from, but my favorites are Marcus Huyskens & Quanta.
Interesting. I found Marcus' paid tutorial Studio One 4 Explained to be unprepared, very chaotic & messy in comparison to equivalent tutorials for Cubase Pro 10 and Reason 10 (by other tutor, admittedly).

And Quanta is a drama queen - I couldn't believe the rant he went on after I commented how he could've used a better example for the technique he presented in one of the recent videos after he came back to YT.

Sure, both are knowledgeable but that doesn't mean they can pass that knowledge well.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

BezO wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:29 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:06 pm Probably his laid back sloppy American style way of presenting things.

Please, let's not blame that on him being American.
Blame? Who blamed anyone for anything?

Confused.

Studio One is from the former Steinberg employees Wolfgang Kundrus and Matthias Juwan. Therefore I think the idea behind Studio One was to create a better Cubase.
Kundrus has left Presonus and so the leading head is gone. On the other side, Cubase has further developed over the last 10 years and the gap has become wider...

I think that Studio One will remain a niche product. Yes, there are some well-known users like ATB but S1 is not as popular as Ableton, Cubase or Logic. Probably there are even more Bitwig users than S1 users by now.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”