Pulsar 900 Series

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
900 Series Modular Synthesizer

As long as the very smooth zooming in/out and general GUI use stay the same.
Indeed could be even more smooth on the iPad Pro with 120 FPS :D
Oh and it would be wonderful if we could have different themes in the future...if possible or even if we could skin own themes.
But before that all happens i would prefer some new modules..... :)

Cinebient wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:52 am As long as the very smooth zooming in/out and general GUI use stay the same.
Indeed could be even more smooth on the iPad Pro with 120 FPS :D
Oh and it would be wonderful if we could have different themes in the future...if possible or even if we could skin own themes.
Keep it a secret...We are currently modeling the 914 Fixed Filter Bank in Matlab.
https://www.pulsarmodular.com/
Pulsar Modular
The Sound is... UNBELIEVABLE!

P900 users please review it to get the word out. :tu:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/900-se ... ar/reviews
Pulsar Modular

Sorry if this was already stated somewhere earlier, but are there plans for a Windows port?
A well-behaved signature.

P900 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:21 am
Cinebient wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:52 am it would be wonderful if we could have different themes in the future...if possible or even if we could skin own themes.
Keep it a secret...We are currently modeling the 914 Fixed Filter Bank in Matlab.
Can't wait for these new modules!
Skins could be useful as well, but a new preset browser with tagging is what I miss most.

JerGoertz wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:17 pm Sorry if this was already stated somewhere earlier, but are there plans for a Windows port?
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: P900 was written under x-code IDE (uses Objective-C) ,as such, can only generate Apple related plugins. We are taking a baby step approach to migrate few modules to the JUCE framework. This will allow us to create cross-platform plugins. However, the challenge is to make sure that we don’t loose, alter or dilute the sound of the p900 during this conversion and end up with that particular sound we hear from Soft synths...I can only describe as soulless (lacking character and individuality). Once we deliver the first port of the Effects modules, we would then be able to estimate the time needed to deliver The full P900 Windows port.
Pulsar Modular

P900 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:52 am We are taking a baby step approach to migrate few modules to the JUCE framework. This will allow us to create cross-platform plugins. However, the challenge is to make sure that we don’t loose, alter or dilute the sound of the p900 during this conversion and end up with that particular sound we hear from Soft synths...
If u-he can do it, you can, too. :wink:

P900 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:52 am However, the challenge is to make sure that we don’t loose, alter or dilute the sound of the p900 during this conversion and end up with that particular sound we hear from Soft synths...I can only describe as soulless (lacking character and individuality).
That's very interesting. If you have the time, do you care to elaborate on this? Would be interesting for me to know how this is happening in the process.

chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:57 am
P900 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:52 am However, the challenge is to make sure that we don’t loose, alter or dilute the sound of the p900 during this conversion and end up with that particular sound we hear from Soft synths...I can only describe as soulless (lacking character and individuality).
That's very interesting. If you have the time, do you care to elaborate on this? Would be interesting for me to know how this is happening in the process.
+ 1
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:10 am
+ 1

Maybe there is actually a scientific explanation why some digital hardware synths do sound different from softsynths
Ditto

I'm sick of people saying daft shit like the difference is in the conversion (i've done AD/DA loops to rule this out and whilst there are differences it doesn't account for the large portion of differences i perceive between outboard VA's and plugins, let alone analog and plugins)so if you have any insight on the programming side of things that can shed some light on the differences to dispel some of the people who doubt there being differences,i am all ears :hyper:
I

TIMT wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am
recursive one wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:10 am
+ 1

Maybe there is actually a scientific explanation why some digital hardware synths do sound different from softsynths
Ditto

I'm sick of people saying daft shit like the difference is in the conversion (i've done AD/DA loops to rule this out and whilst there are differences it doesn't account for the large portion of differences i perceive between outboard VA's and plugins, let alone analog and plugins)
I've deleted the controversial phrase cause I didn't want it to potentially lead to a flamewar, but you were too fast :wink:

Anyways, I own some outboard and quite a few softsynths and to my ears "particular sound we hear from Soft synths ... lacking character and individuality" does actually exist.

Btw, one of my most used HW is a digital synth which streams audio over USB withput any AD/DA conversion. It still sounds different.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Yeah... maybe I finally get a answer to the question which pretty much bothers me since I started to fiddle with soft synths. :D

Not that it applies to all soft synths, but, I really think many just lack character, depth and punch.

chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:35 am Yeah... maybe I finally get a answer to the question which pretty much bothers me since I started to fiddle with soft synths. :D

Not that it applies to all soft synths, but, I really think many just lack character, depth and punch.
Character and depth can be mostly attributed to an insufficient modeling of non linearities, not only at the source (osc) and filter level, but also with regards to signal flow (in a stereo design, there should be non linearities between channels, I.e. one channel has a slightly different frequency and distortion profile that the other). Punch is because of envelopes.

Some of the non linear stuff is difficult to implement, such as the behavior as gain increases. And since in the digital world, nyquist is always present, there is going to be aliasing issues that nonlinear transformations reveal that for many are very unpleasing, like harsh, metallic resonances.

You could well be right that it's all those tiny details. Plus the knowledge of people who know and can judge good sound (say: skills for what they do).

I have some "shit" on my Soundcloud, which I posted here a couple of times, which are good example of sifting chaff from the wheat, IMO. Envelopes and resonant behavior of the filter. There are some other things, like, generally, bottom end, wide sound, and top end, which I also could name, which IMO are very favorable, when it comes to good sound of a synthesizer.

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/sine-wave-click-test

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/envelope-test

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/monark-snap

Those examples were not made to be always useful in a musical context, just some stuff, which shows where some synths are simply lacking. I never understood why some synths do declick by default, for example, or have whacky, slow envelopes, or a resonant behavior, which takes the whole energy out of the sound (you can really hear the punch and the energy in the Monark example... another Minimoog emu I don't want to name here sounds literally tame in comparison).

Just thought I'd add a little explanation to the envelope test example: There's no resonance used in that example (or just a little bit, can't remember really), and, the difference between the two synths used in that example, is that you hear a "organic" smudge sound, with short filter decay, while on the second synth, that organic sound is just not there. It's rather a dry "thump" sound, which doesn't sound very pleasing to me. It's like that on many soft synths I tried, they just have that dry, non-organic sound to them, with such sounds. The Minimoog is a very prominent example, which has that organic sound all over him, as to be heard here, at 24:45 approximately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pRiUSf_QFw&t=1485s

Return to “Instruments”