Inexpensive headphones for hobby music making

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I tried to find anything here obviously expecting someone asked that question already but I could not find anything.

I need inexpensive headphones for my music making on a hobby level.
I want something with pleasant sound over analytical but of course without being overly coloured.

I want something which will excite me more during the artistic process rather than allow me to hear a difference between 8 and 512 point SINC :)

As bass is quite important to me, they need to be reasonably bass capable but again, without being too boomy. When I create music, I don't want to compensate for lack of bass only to find that my music sounds too muddy when I hear it in my home hi-fi or car.

I know headphones usually don't translate well to speakers - but I want to minimise the effect.

Other than that, I hate when the headphones have these headband and ear cushions made with foam covered with that super thin material - its the first thing which will start to peel and eventually ruing otherwise perfectly well working headphones. And spares are usually more expensive than headphones.

I like them made with thick, durable materials with just plastic where possible..

I have k240 mk2 and I like how they are built but they are just too flat sounding - much better in later stages of mixing / mastering.

Thanks

I ordered a second pair of the Superlux HD-668 B a few months ago. I love those headphones. Great, great sound for that price. They're not the super flat Studio "S" line of Superlux, the B stands for balanced, so, rather a compromise between super flat/neutral, and Superlux' more hi-fi headphones, but, I really like that. They're good for auditioning synth sounds, and they're good for listening to music. I'm not a fan of super neutral, IMO, it has to be some fun listening to your music as well. YMMV.

As you mentioned bass: I think you will like them. They have solid bass, but they aren't boomy. And, the wearing comfort is nice too. I wear glasses, and, they don't press too hard on the temple stem, and they cover the ears no problem.

Second Superlux suggestion

Years ago, I got Sony Mdr-v6 headphones for $50.00. They are flat, and I see you point out you want something else for producing, but these headphones haven't left me uninspired. They sound fine to me, but I haven't had pricey ones to compare.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

+1 Superlux. Best bang for the buck. I use them in educational projects where many of the students quit after a year or so. They are left with headphones that are very usable for gaming etc. and were not that expensive. I even know pros who have some pairs for travel, working outside etc.

Superlux has some flat response headphones.. I bought mine for 20€ and they're f*cking great.

what are the headband cushions made of in Superlux ? is it that bloody foam I mentioned ?

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:35 pm Years ago, I got Sony Mdr-v6 headphones for $50.00. They are flat, and I see you point out you want something else for producing, but these headphones haven't left me uninspired. They sound fine to me, but I haven't had pricey ones to compare.
Yep, I would definitely support this recommendation. These Sony's are excellent for the price and I have used 2 pairs of them (at separate times!) comfortably and with good mix translation results over the past 15 years.

PHassan wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:22 pm what are the headband cushions made of in Superlux ? is it that bloody foam I mentioned ?
Foam covered in pleather. *But*, they're a standard size so the velour pads you get for AKGs, Beyerdynamics etc fit fine. I think I've seen them on ebay for ~£4 recently.

After swapping the pads the 668B are my favourites headphones. So comfy and balanced soundwise. And the detachable lead is clever, if you break the cable you can use any old 3.5mm headphone extension lead.

Also have a look at the Samson SR850 phones. Based on the AKG 240 design but, I've read, technically the same drivers etc as the Superluxes. And they come with velour pads as standard so if you like the way the AKGs adjust etc then maybe the phones for you.

SAMSON SR950 - absolutely amazing 'pro' monitors for 29 euro,highly recomend :)

+1 Supelux. For the money they are perfect.

Thanks very much for all replies.

+1 for SAMSON SR950 or other SAMSONs at that price!
for me are the best cheap headphones you can get.

I searched for superlux phones and the design seems almost identical to my focusrite hp60. Is there a reason for it?
Better than this only the silence. Better than the silence only John.

Ksamphos wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:00 pm I searched for superlux phones and the design seems almost identical to my focusrite hp60. Is there a reason for it?
Yes, they are made by Superlux for Focusrite, Presonus and etc, it's the same cans with different branding in nutshell.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”