What synth do you actually USE the most in your own music????

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:42 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm I honestly don’t know what I use most as I change my mind a lot about what I want to use.
the universe is my synthesiser!
mostly the bits in my room, but ill draw in some cosmic background radiation for an oscillator ocassionally.
The cosmic background radiation does help create more of an analog sound, so I see why you do it.

In ever-changing order: WaveStation, TX16Wx, M1. Every time I think I need something else I prove myself wrong.

There's enough base timbres in those 3 to last forever. I'm more about twisting the sounds nowadays.
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Forgotten wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:09 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 pm I honestly don’t know what I use most as I change my mind a lot about what I want to use.
mostly the bits in my room, but ill draw in some cosmic background radiation for an oscillator ocassionally.
The cosmic background radiation does help create more of an analog sound, so I see why you do it.
i need a few more universes for polyphony, ill get there eventually.
its hard enough keeping one in tune tbh, bloody galaxies and shit constantly expanding right out of whack grrr!

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:54 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:09 pm
i need a few more universes for polyphony, ill get there eventually.
its hard enough keeping one in tune tbh, bloody galaxies and shit constantly expanding right out of whack grrr!
Yeah, quantum fluctuations can be a bit of a problem. Deep space tends to be a little more problem-free than in the vicinity of large clusters of stars...and don’t even get me started on dark matter...

SyntheticAurality wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:51 pm In ever-changing order: WaveStation, TX16Wx, M1. Every time I think I need something else I prove myself wrong.

There's enough base timbres in those 3 to last forever. I'm more about twisting the sounds nowadays.
What do you use to twist them?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

TAL Bassline. Every time, it always fits the bill. Or Elektrostudio Model Pro.
I own way too much commercial stuff, honestly, and it gets used a fraction of the time of those two freebies.
Which reminds me, I need to pick up the paid-version of Bassline... I keep forgetting. The original works so well.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Analog Lab 4

Probably Omnisphere, Pigments, Analog Lab (V collection), Phaseplant, XO.

I use Moog Voyager and Oakley TM3030 in almost everything backed by Frac Rack modular, Roland mks50 and YamahaTx7.

I use VPS Avenger the most. Easy and flexible to use.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:02 am
SyntheticAurality wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:51 pm In ever-changing order: WaveStation, TX16Wx, M1. Every time I think I need something else I prove myself wrong.

What do you use to twist them?
I have a pile of stuff from Audio Damage that will trash pretty much anything. Some of my Melda Productions plugs work a treat, automating controls will give repeatable motion to things not meant to have it. I am a deranged individual, that helps too!
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

BONES wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:35 am
I don't find it that hard to learn how to use a synth, they are all basically similar and once you understand the concepts behind them, they are all much of a muchness in terms of feeling like I have a good grasp of how to get the most from them. Now and then you get weird things you have to learn how to use, like the LFOs in ArcSyn, but that's only 10 minutes of head scratching and manual reading.

Different synths have different strengths and it is often much faster to use one over another for a particular sound. e.g. I now have three different granular synths - Straylight is great for atmospheric stuff, Quanta does rhythmic stuff well and Pigments does a good job of making more "standard" synth sounds from it's sample/granular engine. So depending on what sort of sound I am looking for, I will pick one over the others, at least initially.
Do you have some additional music projects you do beyond novakill?

I always end up using Tone2 synths. I have them all.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

empphryio wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:40 amDo you have some additional music projects you do beyond novakill?
I can barely find enough time to put into NOVAkILL, I definitely don't have time for other projects, nor do I have even the slightest interest in any other style of electronic music. If I was going to do any other music, it would be in a Post-Punk band because that's the music I mostly listen to. I think I'd have a lot of trouble finding collaborators, though, so it will never happen.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The synth that gets used in almost everything I do is probably my Studio Electronics ATC-X. It just always sounds fantastic and can find some part to play. It’s got Moog, ARP Odyssey, SEM and 303 filter clones on board, so in a sense it’s a bit like a hardware mono version of Diva. Only two oscillators though, but 3 EGs. (Come on Urs! Add another EG or two!) A close second is my Prophet 6. That one just seems to always fit well in a mix, though lately I’ve been leaning harder on the REV2 because it’s newer to me and I’m in the honeymoon phase.

As for everything else, including software, I try to mix it up as much as possible. I try to think in complementary characters, for instance, if I’m using an analog mono for a bass sound, I’ll choose a software FM for a lead. If my pads are wavetables, I’ll layer them with an analog.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”