Why you left REAPER?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jafo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:42 pm UI, as with every DAW save Tracktion. I just can't wrap my brain around why every track appears twice: horizontally at the top, and vertically at the bottom. Far better to use a rational DAW, one that doesn't cotton to this madness and waste of screen space.
Rational DAW == a DAW without a mixer? :lol:

There's no DAW on the market that would benefit more from a complete interface makeover (by anyone who wasn't involved in the previous efforts). I've installed it five times at least, and uninstalled it within weeks each time. Same deal each time, feature overload, can't get into the look. Even if you theme it, you're still stuck with those dialogs. Seems fantastically powerful and stable, but it pretty much loses me at hello.

jonljacobi wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:07 am There's no DAW on the market that would benefit more from a complete interface makeover (by anyone who wasn't involved in the previous efforts). I've installed it five times at least, and uninstalled it within weeks each time. Same deal each time, feature overload, can't get into the look. Even if you theme it, you're still stuck with those dialogs. Seems fantastically powerful and stable, but it pretty much loses me at hello.
Same here.

It will never change. It’s too much of a precious feature to the current users and developer the way it is.

Then again, Blender FINALLY changed object selection to be done with the PRIMARY mouse button, so stranger things HAVE happened! :hihi:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

dtrq wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 pm
Jafo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:42 pm UI, as with every DAW save Tracktion. I just can't wrap my brain around why every track appears twice: horizontally at the top, and vertically at the bottom. Far better to use a rational DAW, one that doesn't cotton to this madness and waste of screen space.
Rational DAW == a DAW without a mixer? :lol:
Pro Tools.. Most is visible/accessible (if you want) from the track without the need to locate the same channel vertically at the bottom or having to change track to see the "inspector". Why waste 1/3 of valuable vertical screen space?
And open the full mixer view when you want to.. mix.

I left REAPER because it was too customizable, was too cheap and had too many useful features.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:25 pm I left REAPER because it was too customizable, was too cheap and had too many useful features.
One never, ever escapes the Reaper...
Have you tried Vital?

MPE editing is terrible. Reaper is a nice program for the money, but once you need something specific like this, it is often times clunky workaround.

its a headache gave up

Psuper wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:06 pm
Burillo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:25 pm I left REAPER because it was too customizable, was too cheap and had too many useful features.
One never, ever escapes the Reaper...
:)

kae wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 pm Pro Tools.. Most is visible/accessible (if you want) from the track without the need to locate the same channel vertically at the bottom or having to change track to see the "inspector". Why waste 1/3 of valuable vertical screen space?
Nothing prevents you from having this workflow in Reaper.

dtrq wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 pm
kae wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 pm Pro Tools.. Most is visible/accessible (if you want) from the track without the need to locate the same channel vertically at the bottom or having to change track to see the "inspector". Why waste 1/3 of valuable vertical screen space?
Nothing prevents you from having this workflow in Reaper.
Is that by using the 3rd party script I read about in here or something? I remember doing a search for it once, since Reaper is so flexible, but couldn't find a solution for it then.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:15 am
jonljacobi wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:07 am There's no DAW on the market that would benefit more from a complete interface makeover (by anyone who wasn't involved in the previous efforts). I've installed it five times at least, and uninstalled it within weeks each time. Same deal each time, feature overload, can't get into the look. Even if you theme it, you're still stuck with those dialogs. Seems fantastically powerful and stable, but it pretty much loses me at hello.
Same here.

It will never change. It’s too much of a precious feature to the current users and developer the way it is.

Then again, Blender FINALLY changed object selection to be done with the PRIMARY mouse button, so stranger things HAVE happened! :hihi:
You never know! I honestly wish they would do something about it. For everyone's sake. I think all the other DAW vendors are quite happy that they haven't.

I didn’t leave i never arrived. I have it installed and use it every once in a while. My most recent attempt was trying to make it sync with another daw, I couldn’t get it to work and spent a day or two and gave up.

anomandaris1 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:11 am MPE editing is terrible. Reaper is a nice program for the money, but once you need something specific like this, it is often times clunky workaround.
Agreed.
In fact, I've always disliked editing midi controller data in Reaper.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Joking a bit, but the tutorials on their page are the reason - the way that guy (Kenny Gioia?) modulates his voice up at the end of the phrases and makes weirdly placed pauses in the middle of sentence throws me off every time & I can't focus on the actual content, even though the content IS great.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”