Reaper and Bitwig.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is/are Reaper and Bitwig a software for a computer programmer because I got the impression it is/they are?

What he says???

Does either of these DAW have very accurate automation which Reason 10 (I use) doesn't have?

To be honest I've been advised don't change your DAW, but very accurate automation is something I want.

Spring Goose wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:28 am Does either of these DAW have very accurate automation which Reason 10 (I use) doesn't have?

To be honest I've been advised don't change your DAW, but very accurate automation is something I want.
And how you were expecting anyone to get that from your post??! :o

Reaper definitely, Bitwig not really. Unless by "accurate" you just mean that automation values reflect the parameter's unit of measure (%, dB, Hz, and so on) and that you can type in the value. In that case yes - any DAW other than Reason has both, incl. Bitwig obviously.

Having said that, no - you don't need above features to write good music as long as you have ears. More accurate automation won't make your music better, so stick to your DAW.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:03 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:28 am Does either of these DAW have very accurate automation which Reason 10 (I use) doesn't have?

And how you were expecting anyone to get that from your post??! :o
Sorry that was a second thought that I had later! Thanks for your reply. I'm just interested about Reaper and Bitwig.

antic604 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:03 pm Reaper definitely, Bitwig not really. Unless by "accurate" you just mean that automation values reflect the parameter's unit of measure (%, dB, Hz, and so on) and that you can type in the value. In that case yes - any DAW other than Reason has both, incl. Bitwig obviously.

Having said that, no - you don't need above features to write good music as long as you have ears. More accurate automation won't make your music better, so stick to your DAW.
Exact numbers. I thought I understand it only has a range of 128. for example I want to automate the "tune" parameter of a softsynth. I want to hit exact numbers. Its a pain in the behind doing this with Reason!

I thought more accurate automation would mean I can do things that I couldn't possibly do with less accurate automation.

Also I literally am not a computer programmer! I was asking whether you literally should be a computer programmer to get the best from Reaper and or Bitwig.

u can type the number/value of any parameters directly in Bitwig (cmd + click on the given control in mac), if you like to build different devices then IMO demo Bitwig first its workflow is quite close to Reason one (just without cables) for ex. if you would like to build a MIDI note triggered rhythmical effect parallel fx chain it's quite easy with Grid(device builder of Bitwig) voilá
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYBBfNjh9Q
so the workflow quite similar just Bitwig doesn't have cables it uses containers instead, the different devices have to be dropped into each other different slots to be connected but otherwise the workflow very similar to Reason's one
Last edited by xbitz on Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Also it seems half the people on this forum are a computer programmer, and it seems the most popular DAWs on this forum are Reaper and Bitwig I'm not asking about for example Cubase, because I know Cubase. I don't know Reaper and Bitwig.

xbitz wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:25 pm if you like to build different devices then IMO demo Bitwig first its workflow is quite close to Reason one (just without cables) for ex. if you would like to build a MIDI note triggered rhythmical effect parallel fx chain it's quite easy with Grid(device builder of Bitwig) voilá
Thankyou. I think you answered my question.

No i'm a long way from building my own devices, I think.

https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... iffer.html

xbitz wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:25 pm if you like to build different devices then IMO demo Bitwig first its workflow is quite close to Reason one (just without cables) for ex. if you would like to build a MIDI note triggered rhythmical effect parallel fx chain it's quite easy with Grid(device builder of Bitwig) voilá
So in Bitwig I could quite easily do like Blue Cat Late Replies, if I can get my head around Bitwig, is that correct?

Thanks. I took a look at that, but to be honest I don't understand it!

I thought the automatable parameters of a VST instrument or effect only has a resolution of 128. I just want to be able to enter an exact number 0 or 1 to 128.

^^^ yepp, just it's not just a plugin but whole DAW, if you like modulation and modular things then Bitwig + Reason Rack Plugin can be a good choice if u want change DAW and keep your existing materials in the same time

first video from youtube, so yes it's working fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQcYD8iw2h4

Bitwig and Reaper are aimed at musicians, not computer programmers.
They both have demos you can try for yourself.

I can’t think of any daws aimed at computer programmers.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”