Launchpad Pro and Bitwig

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

am tearing my hair out trying to get Bitwig v3.1.2 to see my Launchpad Pro. It works perfectly in Ableton Live but not in Bitwig. OS is Win 10.

Using the Bitwig script there are 3 options for the ports, Launchpad Pro - MIDIIN2/OUT2 - MIDIIN3/OUT3 and none of them work. There is no yellow flash when the pads are struck.

Using Mossgrabers Driven by Moss script, I have the same options as with the Bitwig version and exactly the same result, no MIDI is received.

Have installed and reinstalled Bitwig several times, changed cables and USB ports, nothing seems to work. I would fault the Launchpad but it works flawlessly in Ableton.

I also use a Beatstep Pro and that works properly in Bitwig, so I am as a complete loss as to know what to do next.
As a further point I contacted Novation and they said that they could not get any response from the unit into Bitwig either.

If any of you more knowledgeable folk have any ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them.

Regards

Wait for this https://nektartech.com/nektar-aura-beat-composer/

It's not a launchpad but Nektar stuff plays nicely with Bitwig.

Distorted Horizon

Nice, but wife says No.

Why don't you try and go work it out with Moss? Are you sure you're setting everything up right? The regular Launchpad works perfectly fine here.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. This is a class compliant device, which means there shouldn't need to be any setting up. Leaving aside Moss for the moment, if I delete the scripts, Bitwig will find the device and set the ports, just as in Ableton. Bitwig finds Beatstep automatically as well and that works, and Launchpad works perfectly with Ableton.

It really makes no sense at all. It sends MIDI to Ableton which is seen by Ableton, Bitwig sees it but does not appear to get MIDI from it.

I have not yet contacted Moss because I only downloaded his script when I got no joy with the official Bitwig script and his not working leads me to believe that it is not a script fault, maybe a setting in the Launchpad or something of that sort which I have not yet found.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to reply

So I tried googling around and it looks like you asked this question a year ago. Are you still on 2.4?

Oh good thing I read your first post. So you're on 3.1. Why are you choosing MIDIIN/OUT? You should just bee choosing the name of the controller so just Launchpad pro. Anyway, I would get it contact with Moss.

ckam03

yes I had a similar problem back then, which wasn't resolved and I then spent a bit of time in hospital and I just left it. Updated to 3.1 and thought I would have another try.

In response to your question, I didn't choose MIDIIN/OUT that was what Bitwig decided it would use when Launchpad was turned on, and as stated I have tried all 3 options with the same singular lack of success. Ableton however did setup with Launchpad Pro.

I will likely contact Moss over this but with the stock Bitwig script exhibiting the same result, I would rather try everything else first before I bother him. Thanks again for your reply.

It really doesn't matter that it works with Ableton. It was designed to work with Ableton. The only thing that tells you is that the controller isn't broken. Also I'm not even sure if the Bitwig Launchpad scripts even work because I couldn't get them to work but Moss's script works beautifully.

So are there absolutely no lights all? Do you have any different modes when you press User 1 or User 2? I would just start from the beginning. Add the controller manually, choose MIDIIN2 and OUT2 and make sure the Launchpad is sending on midi channel 1. He has these instructions on the Github.

Hi

No, there are lights, if I go into Notes mode I can change scales etc if I press a pad it goes green and goes back to original colour when released, but there is no indication that Bitwig sees that, ie no yellow square flashing.

I mention Ableton to illustrate that the Launchpad is working and Beatstep to show that Bitwig is also working.
The ports are set as you mention and the Moss script was added manually, the only thing I haven't checked is the MIDI Channel, which I will do and see what happens.

I would also point out that I have never been into the User Channel (there is only one on the Pro) so I will try that as well.
You have been very helpful with your suggestions, I appreciate it, many thanks

ckam03

You have been more helpful than you probably realise, it is now working as expected.

I managed to get some results from the Bitwig script but nothing like Moss's one, it works as you said 'beautifully'.
It was as you hinted at, changing the MIDI channel, something that was never mentioned by BItwig

So once again thank you very much for your help

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”