Radium or Renoise?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
wizetek
KVRer
11 posts since 24 Dec, 2012 from GTA, Canada

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:42 am

I've observed regular development activity for Radium but apparently not much noise for Renoise at least in terms of release frequency. Maybe it's just because the latter is already feature rich.

Why do you use Radium? Did you switch from Renoise?

antic604
KVRAF
4104 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Re: Radium or Renoise?

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:56 am

wizetek wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:42 am
Why do you use Radium? Did you switch from Renoise?
Interesting! I wasn't aware of Radium and I was using Renoise for several years before 2017. But it looks very amateurish in comparison, like - even more crude - version of Waveform, i.e. as if it was designed and executed by programmer. Function over form. However I gotta say it has lots of interesting ideas. I'll check it out, definitely! :tu:
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Hanz Meyzer
KVRian
1490 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 am

I find Radium is providing a lot of improved concept which goes beyond Renoise. I only wish there was proper mac audio and also keyboard support. Oh, and mouse support, because e.g. typing OK for exit seems to be super nerdy. Due it's obvious Linux core, it feels like a foreign object in macos to me. Or in other words, it does not seem to care a lot of OS standards. File requesters, keyboard usage, even the GUI are completely different.

The engine and also the patternview etc. might be already better than Renoise. I cannot say, because never tested it in depth. It also comes with a real object oriented modular routing just like Buzz or Mutools. It also can scroll pixelwise and in flexible speed. You can zoom in the pattern, too! Also automation straight next to the hex notes. Not sure what for the half pianoroll below is good for, maybe another way for automation.

True, a lot of elements seem to look very similar to Waveform. Maybe because both are based on the JUCE framework, which provides some standard GUI elements then?

docbot
KVRist
175 posts since 4 Apr, 2006

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:41 pm

I have yet to figure out Radium properly, I wish someone would make an indepth YouTube tutorial :)
I have nothing against using jack, but most macOS Jack apps are not Catalina compatible, so you'll have to launch the jack server from the terminal in order to use Radium right now.

anttimaatteri
KVRist
337 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:34 am

i dont know man, radium looks really weird compared to renoise. its like a classic tracker tryin to be a typical horizontal-track daw with visible representation of waveforms in top down view. its an overkill of visible blocks.
but im sure technically its as good as renoise. at least^^.

i much prefer the clarity of renoise gui. especially that "nerdy" vertical track view and its hex schemes.

Dirtgrain
KVRian
661 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:39 am

Can anyone speak to the sound quality of the effects in Radium vs. Renoise?

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2532 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:45 pm

Aren't the efects in radium ''pure data'' based ( at least I read it somewhere ) ?
Def. am a renoise fanboy here
I never understood the need of waveform tracks visualization ..it looks ridiculous and visually distracting

p.s. a few months ago renoise got an update ( variable curves for automation and instrument editor )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”